Coatis anyone?

J

Jabberwocker

Hi - I'm a graduate student at the University of Arizona in Tucson. I'm working on my masters on Coatis ? especially their movement among mountain ranges. One thing we're doing is tracking their movement north using genetics. I was wondering if any one has a coati mount, skin, or meat that they might be willing to share for my study. All I would need would be a very small piece (1 cm x 1cm2) of tissue, and I would send you all the necessary shipping materials, including postage paid. I would also need to know where you shot the coati (what mountain range, the more specific the better). We?re going to be doing a lot of trapping, but we need all the samples we can get. Can you or anyone you know help? Thanks so much.

Do you mean coitus or colittus or coalminer or what exactly is a Coatis? Like coaotoye?

What in the heck is a Coatis? To me a coatis, is sumtin ya wear when it's cold out, GET-ER-DONE!!!!!...Greg

HERE IN UTARD THEY ARE CALLED RING TAILED CATS!!!

OR A COATIMUNDI!!!

THEY ALWAYS LOOKED LIKE COONS TO ME ABOUT MIDNIGHT THIRTY!!!

NOT MANY AROUND,MAYBE A FEW,SEEN ONE ON THE ABAJO ONCE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING GJM SCREWED UP,WHAT HE'S REALLY THINKING IS 'GET HER DONE'!!!

LMSAO! why in the heck didn't he just say ring tailed cat? Larry the Cable Guy would of said what I made reference too about the Coatis, GET-ER-DONE, don't need no advice about getting her done, I thought after midnight they all looked good! lol...Greg

GREG

WHO KNOWS,MAYBE I'M WRONG???

THERES ALWAYS SOMEBODY TO GIVE ME ALL KINDS OF QUICK LESSONS!!!

USUALLY A 'PUNK' OR A 'WANNA-BE' !!!

USUALLY SOMEBODY MAD ABOUT THE CAPS-LOCK LESSON I NEVER LEARNED!!!

MAYBE THEY CAN GIVE ME A LESSON ON HOW TO TELL DEER FROM ELK,ELK FROM MOOSE,ETC,I THOUGHT THEY ALL TASTED GOOD???

THE ONLY bobcat THATS NEVER SEEN A LIVE COATIS!!!

Sorry for the confusion everyone. Coatis are like racoons - only brown and white, not black and white - and they're a bit bigger. They're mostly in Mexico, but they get up into Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. They actually look a bit like monkeys when they are running - sometimes people call them coati-mundis, chulos, etc. It's an open season on them here in Arizona - but they're hard to find sometimes. The males hang out by themselves, and the females and young will travel in band of 10-30 (pretty impressive site!). I know some folks bag them for mounts - as they're a pretty impressive looking animal. I posted a picture for everyone too. Does that help?
41ffa1476f44562e.jpg

Jabber,

There are a few scattered groups in Colorado too, The Black Canyon of the Gunnison would be one such place. they can be pests since they like to get into your camp gear or tent.

BeanMan

Oh, those animals. I seen em two different times. Once near the Olympia brewing plant in Tumwater, WA and another time on top of south Yolla Bolly mountain, a group of seventeen were starting their annual migration to the equator. What a sight, if it weren't for that Boeing 747 flying overhead ten feet above the trees i would of missed the whole event.

Howdy Jabberwocker,

Get in touch with Canyonwell. He used to own a ranch in New Mexico that had a resident "herd" of coatis. He has more experience with them than anyone I know. Send me a personal message if you want his phone number.

Coach

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom