Cody area

BBB

Very Active Member
Hello MM members!

I'm fortunate to be moving to the Cody area in the next couple of months. I'm excited, my wife is excited, and my kids are kind of scared...but excited as well, understandably.

We've lived in southern Oregon for over a decade but have also had the pleasure to live in Az. and Utah. For those of you that know well or live in and around the Bighorn basin I'm beginning my hunts...first for an area to live, a house, etc.

Once we are settled in, hunting takes a great priority. I understand I will not be hunting this fall as a resident but would like to start exploring the area, both general season and limited tag areas.

Any strong advice on moving, areas to live (or not to live), fishing, hunting, I'd love to hear it. I prefer PM's and would be more than willing to share any knowledge I can pay back with advice on the states where I've lived and hunt regularly.

thanks for your time!

Lucky!!!! Look over the leftover list and get ready for the quick sale when they go live.

DZ

Cody's a decent enough town, but I'd consider Powell or Lovell to settle in. You don't say the ages of your kids, but as far as sports go, Powell tends to be tough and Cody is no slouch.

I live North of Cody in Clark, Wyoming. I have been here about 15 years. Elk hunting is good if you can draw a tag. Much of the deer hunting is for migratory deer. It can be a tough place to figure out, but once you do the hunting is good. Exploring the country is the best part. Watch out for bears.
mh

The bighorn Basin is a amazing place to live. My wife and I just moved back after being stationed on the east coast..it was a long 12 years!!! We live in Powell and love the town and community.

Jobs are tough and it depends on what skill or degree you have. check out wyomingatwork.com and choose park county in the search, checking this out over a month or so will show you what the job outlook is.

I've been in Cody many times in the fall and absolutely love it. I thought about buying some land there for when I retire but the locals said come here in the summer before you get too excited, I did and they're right. WAY too many yahoo tourists for me. total zoo.

I think I'll stay in eastern OR.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I was told that the pop increases by 40k in the summer, but everyone leaves after 4th of July and jobs go begging. True? Not true?

I'm semi-retired and self- employed, so really, a good tourist trade would benefit me.

I cant remember what the POP. grows I thought it was around maybe 30k. Seems like it grows 500,000. I cant stand it every place is nuts and the traffic is full of retards.

it stays busy till August into September. July is for sure the month that sees the most people.

I don't keep track of the jobs. I don't really watch the classifieds. but a lot of people work summer months and travel here to work summer months mostly at stores and hotels.

I have heard that many people describe Cody as "poverty with a view". I have a shortcut that I take when I am heading up to the North Fork of the Shoshone that allows me to completely miss 1/2 of the main drag when passing through. I like the burgers at the Proud Cut, the 4th of July Parade, Sierra Trading Post and the BBHC is nice. Gas prices are fixed in Cody and you can expect to pay more than you would in Powell. The Red Barn in Wapiti has cheaper gas. You can get medical attention in Powell or Cody but many folks end up going to Billings. My son lives in Powell but works out of state most of the time. He is a skilled carpenter. I could go on and on, but I won't.

just sayin...mh

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom