I thought i'd ask some pro's on here.
I have a 2002 Ford f350 7.3.
I've replaced the glow plugs, relay, batteries,
starter. Truck will only start with engine heater
plugged in. Won't start below 50 degrees without
being plugged in.
I know most "Ford Jokes" but need a
sincere answer.

Not a pro by any means but we have the same truck and never had a issue with cold starts. Especially 50 degrees doesn't even seem cold.

My 02 was getting hard to start last year and really bad when it got below freezing. Ended up having to replace glow plugs and a relay. The rest of the winter didn't have any problems starting it and never plugged it in. In fact I have never plugged that truck in ever and it only gets started once or twice a week in the winter months.

That truck has been on some real cold late season hunts and it takes a minute or two to start but still never been plugged in.

Maybe glow plugs again.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge by chance ?

Any white smoke? mostly while driving

I don't know much on the powerstokes but find a powerstroke forum page and ask around.

I just barely replaced the glow plugs. The truck doesn't even have 400 miles on the new glow plugs or the new glow plug relay. All of the power stroke forums say it's the glow plug or the relay nothing goes into deeper info. So I thought I'd try this forum.

I've put a new fuel filter, air filter, new glow plug, new glow plug relay,
no codes are throwing. New starter, new batteries. I'm clueless. It runs
great when it starts, idles perfectly right off the bat. A little white smoke
comes out but... Man, i'm at a loss.

I feel your pain and now that trying to track down some mystery problem in a 12 year old truck can be hard. I love mine but it has had some electrical issue for a couple of years now, and I just cant figure out what the problem is. While driving I lose all electric power and all my gauges go out. It doesn't effect the motor or my headlights for some reason but just all the gauges. Its a hassle that I can live with since I will have to drive that truck in to the ground before I can ever afford a new one.

Just throwing it out there but the glow plugs and relay that we just installed, Have you tested them? Wouldn't be the first time a shop messed up or that parts failed early.

Yeah tested the glow plugs and the relay. Working fine. My buddies truck all the gauges stopped working while the truck was running. Everything went dead, the engine was still running and idling. I would push on the gas nothing would happen we didn't dare shut off the truck. It was a simple fuse.

Test your relay. Even new ones can be bad. Turn the key on and touch one voltmeter lead to each of the big terminals on the relay. If the relay is good you will have less than .3v showing on your multimeter. If thats good check all of your wiring under the valve covers. Unplug them at the valvecovers and check how many ohms of resistance you have at each or the 4 outside terminals. Youll put one lead on the terminal and the other to the case of the alternator. You should have less than .5 ohms at each.

Log on to powerstroke.org and post your question there and you will get good detailed help without any guff from the DLB's

Thanks Desert. I've tested the relay. But have not
tried the valve harnesses. I'll give that a shot. I just
hate to do HPOP or the injectors if its a simple fix.

Camo,

I just talked to my friend who has a 2001 F350 7.3 Powerstroke.

He said to check and make sure that you don't have water in the oil....maybe a head gasket or bad fuel. That would cause you trouble like you talking about with starting. I did not have a good phone connection with him as he was still working and that "squeeze" he operates loading hay is noisy. I will be with him this coming Sunday to go to range for shooting so if you are still having problems, I will ask him again and WRITE IT ALL DOWN.

We have only had to pugged in the AC to block heater two or three times over the years, once in MT in NOV and twice in WYO in late Oct. Oh yea, once in Norwood, CO during NOV. But his rig always started and ran smooth after and not much trouble to get it to fire up once the glow plugs and indicating lights gave OK to fire up.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-14 AT 08:57PM (MST)[p]Do a compression test. If you don't have the tooling, when it's running, see if your blowing a ton of blow-by out of the breather tube. Doesn't matter how good your electrical and fuel supply is if you have low compression. Seen lots if new diesels get dusted and will be hard starting in 100 degree weather. A diesel has to have compression to start. Good compression on a test gauge should be around 330 psi. They will have a problem starting in warm temps down around 275 psi. The white smoke you're seeing at start up is unburnt fuel puddling up partially burning when she does finally light.

Check your battery terminals also. Loose battery terminals caused my 7.3 not starting, just barely turning over, this past winter in Utah. Had new batteries installed and the darn shop failed to tighten them down. Outside of that never had a problem on my 250 powerstroke.

RELH

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-14
>AT 08:57?PM (MST)

>
>Do a compression test. If you
>don't have the tooling, when
>it's running, see if your
>blowing a ton of blow-by
>out of the breather tube.
>Doesn't matter how good your
>electrical and fuel supply is
>if you have low compression.
>Seen lots if new diesels
>get dusted and will be
>hard starting in 100 degree
>weather. A diesel has to
>have compression to start. Good
>compression on a test gauge
>should be around 330 psi.
>They will have a problem
>starting in warm temps down
>around 275 psi. The white
>smoke you're seeing at start
>up is unburnt fuel puddling
>up partially burning when she
>does finally light.

I don't think I have the tools for that I was going to take it to Wild Diesel and have them check everything and plug it in and see what's working and not

Consider replacing your whole battery cable system. Speaking from experience on the same truck. The cables corrode inside out even tho they're sealed from the factory. It'll cost you about $600 for the Ford replacement cable setup. Don't screw with cheaper alternatives. You can actually see the cables swelled inside the insulating coating- most times within a foot of your battery connection.
All the signs I read about in this post can go back to poor connections or corroded cables. Mine never has to be plugged in unless it's below 0...and that's cuz I want it to start easy. It's got 275k on it now and I have replaced the cables twice. Soon as it starts being puny about cranking over, I know it's time.
Keep us updated. Us shade tree mechanics wanna know if we got lucky and guessed right.

Also cotransplant, did yours have good cranking power? It's almost like it just isn't getting fuel or enough umph almost like it needs starting fluid just to get that spark

Did you change the valve cover gaskets when you replaced the glow plugs? They have the wires for the glow plugs in them and get cracked and broken too.

"get a new truck". Hell no, the 7.3 powerstroke was the best diesel engine Ford ever put into their trucks. I know many that have over 200,000 miles and no major repairs and still running strong. The 6.0 that replaced it was a disaster and the 6.3 is still waiting to be seen how well it will last.

RELH

>good holy sh!t.
>
>Get a different truck.

Ya!

If We had SMUTS Money We'd just Whip 65K out of Our Front Pocket & Buy a New Truck!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

>My Outback is for sale but
>it needs a tranny

All LEZBARU'S Need a Tranny!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Is the New Relay an OEM Ford Relay?

I'd also replace wires under the valve covers or at lest check them but you know how 'Aged' Wires are,how do you check them other than visually!

For about 65K you could get a Truck with a RAM on the Grille!:D

That's why I keep reading this column. One of the best all time responses. "All LEZBARUS'S need a Tranny"...LOL.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

>Is the New Relay an OEM
>Ford Relay?
>
>I'd also replace wires under the
>valve covers or at lest
>check them but you know
>how 'Aged' Wires are,how do
>you check them other than
>visually!
>
>For about 65K you could get
>a Truck with a RAM
>on the Grille!:D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
From My Smokin Cherry Red
>Hot Barrel & My Dead
>Cold Hands I Shall go
>down Fighting for American Pride
>& Rights!
>I Know I'm Out Numbered by
>Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll
>Throw Their Hands in the
>air & I know I
>can't Lick the U.S. Military
>by Myself when they Turn
>on us but I'll make
>
>you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a
>Situation where I Hope to
>Hell All Americans become True
>Americans once again & Stand
>up for their Rights!

Same thing as a tranny in a lezbaru.

I hope I am not repeating something that anyone else has already said, but I did not have time to read the entire thread. I had a '99 F350 with the 7.3, and one day it just flat died and would not start. There is a water sensor located in the fuel system (filter housing), and when it dies, so does the truck. It's an easy fix. Check this if you haven't already resolved your issue. Good luck.

When it's starts laboring to turn over, the voltage is finding resistance. So when I've replaced them, sluggish cranking was the indicator.
Shade tree mechanic was just a humorous reference to my self and other guys on here that are just smart enough mechanically to be dangerous.

With a 7.3 you best have a Cam Position sensor in the glove box or behind the seat and a 10mm wrench to change it out.

What did you ever figure out with this truck? Hope it worked out but what did it take?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-14 AT 11:15AM (MST)[p]Have you replaced the valve cover gaskets? 90 percent of the hard starting 7.3 strokers I see is the either valve cover gaskets, glowplugs, and relay. The valve cover gaskets normally burn where the main engine harness hooks to the valve cover gasket. The other 10 percent either have low compression, excess blow by, or low HPOP pressure. To check blow by start the truck and remove oil fill plug on left valve cover. If it looks like a freight train blowing steam out of valve cover you have a problem. Recommend replace with Cummins. Hope this helps

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-14 AT 12:33PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-14 AT 12:21?PM (MST)

Pheaz, no I haven't replaced the valve cover gaskets, pretty much everything else but those and the HPOP. thanks for your thoughts! to check the blow by I just took the oil fill cap off, turned it upside down over the fill while the truck is idling and it just vibrated off. I'm guessing and hoping it's just the valve cover gaskets

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-14 AT 01:03PM (MST)[p]Either wires between solenoid and valve cover or valve cover gaskets then. Usually HPOP shows signs of failure while running.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-14 AT 01:26PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-14 AT 01:24?PM (MST)

Fires up like a champ, idols perfectly. fires right up if it's plugged into the engine block heater. Just will cranking crank when it gets mildly cold and not plugged in. Pheaz, everything you're saying is making sense to me. Hopefully Wild Diesel can confirm that by plugging it in. Like I said I changed everything the glow plugs,the glow plug relay, the starter, the fuel filter, the air filter, and batteries. Just did not put new valve cover gaskets on. Looks like I should have done while I had it all tore apart. But I did not know. That's why I posted on MM, I knew I could count on some of those who experience "out in the field" trouble so to speak. Thanks

When you find out what the problem is, be sure to let us know as we are puzzled as much as you are.

RELH

I'd check the Grille!

And the Tail Gate!

This is usually the Culprit:

6977blue_oval.jpg

ELKASS....I just talked to a fella I have not seen for awhile now who has moved back in with his mom down the street. He sold his home and land and still looking for another place to live. BUT, he bought a NEW DODGE 3500 Diesel with long bed. So I asked him how he likes it so far, great was the reply. He use to have a FORD 2500 but got a new DODGE.

He is a cousin to "fstop".

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Had a 95 once that did exactly what you are describing. Turned out to be the injector o rings. Replaced them all, then it ran fine. Don't know if anyone has brought it up yet, but just a thought.

I have been waiting for a update also. You can not PM or email cammokid to ask.

RELH

I have not done anything to it yet, waiting for it to get cold and then take it in, it had trouble starting up in the hills last weekend. It finally would turn over but I have to keep it plugged in. Or plug it into a generator for a couple hours. Sorry for the delay, haven't got on lately on MM

After finally taking it to Wild Diesel, they checked the glow plug relay, it was clicking, and getting power but not actuating the glow plugs. This is the 3rd glow plug relay I have put in. Whatever one they put in, it working great! I can't believe it was that. Thanks for all the replies. I really didn't think it'd be the relay. But it was. Starts like a champ, not plugged in, even the last couple nights in the cold.

It Ain't Cold Yet!:D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom