Colorado 12 NR points for Mule Deer

Cotten

My 74 year old dad is a nonresident and has managed to accumulate 12 deer points in Colorado. We are looking at some 3rd season hunts to burn his points on this year. A few years ago he had a touch of altitude sickness on an elk hunt, so I try to keep him below 10,000 ft. He also has a knee that gives him trouble, so really rough county isn't great. We hunted unit 37 for mule deer on second choice tags a few years ago, and the terrain and altitude was a bit much for him. I was looking at unit 30 for him a few years ago, but I spent a few days over there during 3rd season with an OTC elk tag and only saw a few does. Unit 22 looks like cool country to hunt, but the reports from the field don't sound too promising. More recently, I've been looking into unit 6. Anyway, I would really appreciate any input from the members here.

My 74 year old dad is a nonresident and has managed to accumulate 12 deer points in Colorado. We are looking at some 3rd season hunts to burn his points on this year. A few years ago he had a touch of altitude sickness on an elk hunt, so I try to keep him below 10,000 ft. He also has a knee that gives him trouble, so really rough county isn't great. We hunted unit 37 for mule deer on second choice tags a few years ago, and the terrain and altitude was a bit much for him. I was looking at unit 30 for him a few years ago, but I spent a few days over there during 3rd season with an OTC elk tag and only saw a few does. Unit 22 looks like cool country to hunt, but the reports from the field don't sound too promising. More recently, I've been looking into unit 6. Anyway, I would really appreciate any input from the members here.
22 3rd season if he can draw it this year would be my choice if I were him.

How many did 22 take last year? I think you will see a fair bit of point creep with the season dates being what they are this year.

I’m pretty sure 22-3rd season took more than that...before this year’s later hunter while will probably require even more points. Good luck!

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town and away from my computer. Yes, Unit 22 3rd season took 10 points to draw last year. I'm thinking (hoping) his 12 points would be just enough to draw this year, but when I look at 4th season taking 19 points to draw last year, I'm likely being overly optimistic. I've driven through unit 22 several times and it looks like awesome country to hunt, but the reports on the unit I've read lately haven't sounded too encouraging.

Has anyone hunted Unit 3 3rd or 4th season? Looks like a slam dunk to draw, reports make it sound like deer quality is on the upswing, and the BLM terrain looks like it would be glassing and older lowlander friendly...

I meant to ask about Unit 6 3rd or 4th season above, not Unit 3.

He's only able to hunt 3rd season this year. And I don't think the terrain in unit 66, or 67 would suit him. I'll likely try to burn my own points in one of those unit next year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom