Colorado archery units?

E

elk_huntr

I know that the Colorado archery season is gone for now, but does anyone have recommendations on good bull units for next year? I'd prefer strictly OTC, no limited units, any comments would be greatly appreciated!

EH ~

Whats wrong with the draw tags? I guess I can't help on those we send in for draw units. Most cases the draw odds are real good, in fact alot of areas you can send for a quality area and archery second choice,Gain a preference point and get a tag. If not then buy an over the counter tag and you still have your preference point. Gary

nothings wrong with the draw tags...i think there are alot of OTC units that have trophy bulls in them and those are the ones i'd like to pursue...i have the impression that most draw units are filled with hunters when season begins, pending the area of course...? i know of both good OTC, as well as draw units in CO, but i wanted to get peoples opinions on which are harvesting top numbers, etc...thanks for the info elkcrzy1, i appreciate it!

EH~

You can always check out the colorado division of wildlife website for statistics if you want. Gary

EH,

If your still around, I might suggest a few areas to at least keep in mind or go scout for fun some time. Of course the meeker and craig area has a high success rate, but I've never hunted it or scouted it. 2003 season around Steamboat did really well, 45% succ. I think, so the Zirkle wilderness I think would be a fun scenic and possibly real succesful hunt. I like the Rawah Wilderness, offers cool remote areas that are rarely visited with fun lake fishin' and has a good # of elk, but to get to the spot I used to hunt you would prefer to have horses, but it's good. Last, the Comanche Peak wilderness as it is very big and if you put in alot of time scouting different areas it can be an excellent hunt definately holding some nice mature bulls if that's what your looking for. Let me know if your familiar with these or if that helped. Have fun!

H.A.

I have had good -ELK- success in unit 161. Took a 6x6 last year (see august tee-shirt winner) and took a nice 5x5 this year-see photo gallery- (all black powder). All on public land-state wide units. Also took a 5x5 Mule deer last weekend in unit 5 (approx 6 miles west (as the crow flys) of unit 161.

Renegade

HA,

thanks for the info.
I had family that did really well around Steamboat, during first rifle season, but didn't really find alot about the archery season in that area.
i have the impression that Mt Zirkel Wilderness is hunted quite a bit by outfitters as well as others on horse...maybe i'm wrong though?
my eye has been on unit 5, 14, and 16, i am very familiar with these area(s), but i just wanted to see what others have thought (if they have hunted them...?) in terms of big public land bulls.
they are out there, i guess we just have to find them...right...?
thanks again...i appreciate the advice...

sidenote: heard a 360 + bull was taken in Colorado a few weeks back...?
shot on public land grossed over 370, but scored lower than expected...those are the kind of bulls i'd like to get into!

EH ~

Renegade,

i appreciate the update on 'good' units...i understand its tough to give away truely 'good' unit spots...but thanks again for the info...

EH ~

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom