Colorado Elk Rut Activity Update As of 9-4-11

S

SoleSearcher36

Since it has been aweful quiet on the board regarding activity I thought I would post this for all of those who would be headed to the hills here in the next few days and might appreciate some "from the ground" observations over the last few days. Granted activity will vary throughout the state but some of you might find it helpful. I was in central colorado over the weekend trying to assist a good friend on his first archery elk hunting season. Bugling activity has been really sparse at best since the opener and has been limited to right after first light and just before dark. Saturday morning we heard no bugles at all until about 9am when we had a lone response to a last ditch locating bugle. Also talked with the only other hunter in our area and he had also only heard one bugle(by location couldn't have been the same bull). Saturday afternoon was a whole different ballgame as on our first attempt to locate with a bugle we got an instant response followed by multiple bulls bugling.....both responding vocally to our bugles and just talking to eachother. We first tried locating with a cow call but they weren't interested. Much to our dismay we discovered basically all the elk in this spot were still in a single large herd of over 100 animals.....bulls,cows,calves & spikes. The better bulls were bugling the most aggressively but still hanging with the herd and in close proximity to the smaller bulls. Sunday morning and evening were both a repeat of the same scenario with the elk continuing to respond vocally to bugles but not interested in leaving the herd to come to the call. There was basically no interest from the bulls in cow calls but the cows were talking up a storm. The bugling would gradually die off in mid-morning with individual bulls still bugling back to our bugles. Stalking any of the better bulls was basically impossible with so many cows around and even bugles from within 70-80 yards would only elicit a vocal response. Lots of opportunity to take cows an a couple small raghorns vying for the best bedding shade but held out for a more mature bull. I don't often bugle to locate but the circumstance called for it and it was working well....just too many eyes to get thru. Did find the first "real rubs" started....as opposed to the earlier rubs that seem like they were more for removing velvet. Definitely seems like the real "pre-rut" is about to begin any day. In my observations over the years one of the first things I notice is the spikes getting "kicked out" of the cow/calf groups and all the bulls starting to establish rank on the mountain. No sign at all of cows starting to come into season yet. Again, I know it isn't an absolute indicator of what they are doing across the state and varying elevations just my observations from around 9,000ft in central colorado. Hope some of you find use or encouragement from this. Good luck out there.

Good story. I'm surprised but we heard several bugles in both units 59, 581 and 24. Never heard them this early. Good luck to all.

I agree....quite a bit of talk for this early ColoradoRam. I will be back in 28 this next weekend and then headed to the west side for the final 9 days on my own hunt. Can't wait to see what shakes out! It will also be interesting to see what effect if any this coming full moon will have on them.(on the opening weekend of muzzy to boot)

Ram,

I was also in 581 over the weekend and we didn't hear a peep. I got into a few elk but and even had a few cows come running to a couple location bugles, but we never heard a bugle. It was pretty busy out there this weekend with all of the campers, we'll see what happens with muzzle opening this weekend.

SoleSearcher,

Thanks for the info, I was curious as to how the rest of the state was doing.

Good post Sole. Pretty quiet the last few days at timberline. I did hear 2 bugles at 5 am when I was riding up the trail, but that was it. I leave thursday for the muzzy hunt. Hopefully the cooler weather will fire it up. You guys have a great season.

With the much cooler weather forecast for the rest of the week and the growing moon I think that the muzzy opener should see quite a bit more activity than last weekend. I usually wait to get too serious until after the first weekend of muzzy as many of my spots really benefit from the increased pressure brought on by a combination of archers and muzzleloader hunters combined with the campers,bikers, atv riders that are squeezing in a last mild weather trip to the hills. Amazing amount of ground-cover in all of my areas this year.........the body condition of the elk looks really good. Only bad thing is with the enhanced forage conditions they can really stay spread out if they want to. Sure alot of wild rasberries towards timberline too this year....yum!

Was in 71 this weekend and there was nothing in terms of rut activity. Heard a handful of bugles over 4 days but they were mostly just short squeals at first light. Got into one bull that responded to the cow call but his ladies busted me. I was over 11000 ft and was surprised how warm it still was. I am hoping this weekend will bring cooler temps and kick em into some pre-rut. Combine the pressure from the labor day hunters/hikers/campers they were sticking to the dark timber and not moving much at all. Keeping my fingers crossed that they get a little break from the pressure over the next few days and start kicking it into gear this weekend. Muzzle hunters should do pretty well.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Over the weekend I called in 3 bulls, got 40 yds from 2 6x6 bulls that were fighting and seen a monster 6x6 that's bugling like crazy. I'm trying to get in on him but he has a lot of cows, which is making it tough. I tried calling him in but he won't have it, he takes his cows and moves on. That's why the big ones get big.

This info is driving me nuts. I pretty much accepted that I wouldn't be able to partake in the archery hunting this season but all these discussions are really driving me nuts. I might have to venture out in this walking boot/cast and try to hunt some old logging roads or something that isn't too challenging. Good luck out there.

Update: there still are a few elk left. We have not shot them all... good luck on your hunt! You should be in the hick of it!

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Going out in the morning, I will post after I get back....the moon looks promising tonight!

Out in 511 this morning, and didn't hear a single bugle. I was able to get a cow cal back for a minute, and the thirmals blew my cover.... I hope the rest of you had better luck.

To Sageman.....things should be looking really good for your hunt. While the full moon may have been more of a hinderance this last weekend, I think we will really start seeing more momentum now and some cows will start coming into estrous following this moon. We were back in central colorado over the weekend and things were starting to go. The smaller bulls were still quiet for the most part and still "buddied up" in groups of two to four bulls........and still not that interested in cows yet. The bigger bulls were ALOT more vocal and now running solo......talking a good game but not chasing/holding cows. Bugling was key this weekend but you had to really pressure the bulls with the call and close the distance to them. Agressive bugling inside 100yds was the only thing that would get them to come to you. My buddy(1st time archer) had a 300"+ bull and another 6x6 in the 260" range inside 30 yards over the weekend but was unable to seal the deal. Both bulls wanted to be bugled at directly and aggressively to get them to come. Didn't see any bulls interested/holding/tending cows but the large bunches had separated and the spikes have been kicked out of the cow/calf groups. Things are changing by the day for sure now. We'll head out friday to hunt the last nine days of season. With the moon waning now I think it will be a good final half to the season. Good luck everyone!!!

Thanks for the update SoleSearcher 36...it's still pretty quiet where I hunt in Central CO, still haven't heard a bugle the whole season. I have the last 7 of 9 days off, hopefully they get going!

Hunting in 48 past week and no talking. Took a small bull still hunted this am. Tough.

Was up in 511 and 581 and didn't hear a peep this morning. Going to head up to the northern part of the state next week. I sure hope the rut is in full swing by then.

Late

Late afternoons they started squawking. Still in bachelor groups and just having a conversation, I guess. They were bugling early in the week at night only, but nothing in the morning. Now it's afternoons. Took a heavy-beamed 5x5 that called me in! This is front range unit, central Colo.

Just got back from above timberline and they were screaming. The snow and cool temps kicked them off this week. By tuesday, the herd bulls had kicked off the rags and were aggressively tending. Sole is right, bugles up close were much better than cow calls, though we didn't connect. Good luck guys.

They are going crazy in unit 61 called in a huge 6x7 tonight to about 75 yards would not leave his cows it was cool

Got a decent bull on the 14th with a muzzleloader....He was the only other bull of two I heard bugle even though I saw several others.
I think after all the rain here in Western Colorado it should pick up rather quickly.
Good luck to you all.
Best,
Jerry
44f4e09309b4a917.jpg

I was in 76 all weekend. Ute ridge, lots of elk, only two bunches with more than 25 cows. Both had a herd bull and a couple of others. No real sign of rut activity, did not hear one bugle in roughly 20 hours. Then on to the North side of Pole Mtn. Again no real rut activity and only 2 bugles in a full 24 hours. Still lots of groups of cows (6-12) with no mature bulls. I have heard of spuradic rutting all over the unit and it seems the muzzy guys who worked were successful. I was in deep on the ridge and off the beaten path by a couple of miles on Pole. Not sure why they are not cranked up yet but maybe the snow and cold weather this last weekend will be the ticket. The Oct. 1st hunt sure is looking good.

Was in Central, CO again this weekend, saw a group of 7 cows with no bull. Later that morning had a small bull respond about 80 yds away after some pretty aggressive cow calling with a short squeal on the end of the sequence. I never saw him and figured he was coming in to the cow calls but when I hit that squeal he wanted nothing to do with it. Here's to the last 5 days, heading up in the AM, good luck to everyone who still has tags!

The archery guys should be having a ball, this am it was like a shouting match on the kindergarden play ground. The big stinks were doing their thing! 7 days and counting!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom