Colorado GMU 81 elk status

R

RobC

Just curious as to what the elk are doing in that unit the last few days. Also, what's the weather like? May try and head that way this weekend but not 100% sure yet. Been getting conflicting stories on how hard the winter was on them there and how many died because of it. Anyone been on the ground in that unit this season that would care to comment?

Thanks,
Rob

Rob, we hunt there almost every year and there aint that many elk in there any year, regaurdless of the weather. it is cooling down here though. i would saty low 40's at night and 60's during day. we will be going in 3 weeks. not to excited about it cuz its always hit or miss

Hi oldmossback. You have any opinions on what would be a good gmu for OTC archery cow hunting for future years? I hope to be able to keep making the trip but one never knows what the future holds. It sure is fun planning though.

Thanks,
Rob

I was ther first week and was in elk every day. Not alot of elk, TONS of hunters and the logging company is tearing it up! There were mushroom hunters everywhere as well. Temps were from 31-70 and water everywhere. We saw some nice deer and 1-bull. Great fishing and hiking, but not sure if I will go back. The horse hunters did well. I hunted between Trujillo meadow and Red Lake. Maybe further north was better. Beautiful country, but they should make the logging company clean up better! Good luck!

Thanks for the info hunting1. The area you were in is farther South and West than where I have been. Good Luck with the rest of your season.

Rob

yea hunt 1 that is farther north from where we go also. we hunt around la jara. its not to good and too many people also. need to find a better place

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom