colorado goat

D

dafonz

Here is a picture of the mountain goat I got on 9-2-08 in unit G-16http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/48cecc2c7485164d

Got an error code when I clicked on the link, post the pics here. Would love to see them.
nrueh

48cecc2c7485164d.jpg

Nice goat! Got a story to go along with the picture?

Nice goat. How was the hunt. I hunted goat last year in Utah and seen some awesome rugged country. I sence of accomplishing something after a successful exhusting hunt. Tell us the story and congrats of your goat!!!

That is a great looking goat. I'm not an expert and i can't see in the picture very well. Is that a billy or a nanny? I know that the nannies can grow some pretty good horns

It was a billy. We had scouted the area in July and saw this billy with one other one. On our scouting trip we saw these billies from about 1&1/2 miles away and due to weather we couldn't get close to them on that trip. We had figured they were to billies because they were alone and one was a lot bigger than the other one. My hunt didn't start until Tuesday because they don't let you hunt the weekends in unit G-16 and Monday was a holiday. I went up to stay on the Thursday before my hunt and used the 4 days before season to do some more scouting. On Sunday we went looking for the 2 billies we saw in July and once we found them I was sure the bigger one was a shooter. Opening morning on Tuesday 9-2-08 we went and found the two after about 2 hours of hiking. I didn't see them right away because I was looking in all the nasty steepcliffs where we had spotted them the previous 2 times. After about 20 minutes I saw the little one in the bottom of a big bowl and I knew the bigger had to be there. They were heading up into the steep cliffs, it was about 8am and I got the shot off at 340 yards probably about 15 to 20 minutes before they would have been in the steep unreachable terrain. He rolled about 50 yards down the basin and stood up so I shot again instantly and he rolled another 50 yards and that was it. The first shot had hit lungs but you here how tough those things are so I didn't want to chance it.
The pack out just about did me in. I had to make 2 trips in order to get all the meat and the cape and I was completely exhausted. On a side note this was the first hunting trip that I used trekking poles and I never would have been able to carry that weight up the side of the mountain without them. They are an invaluable tool to use on hunts like this. I also purchased an eberlestock pack for the hunt and it worked great.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom