Colorado Muley hunt

deadeye1

looking to cash in my 20 points for a late rifle mule deer hunt around unit 61 , looking for advice on an outfitter, normally i don't use outfitters but since I'm cashing in want to make this a hunt of a lifetime any advice would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, "cashing in" on 20 points doesn't guarantee you a 200" deer/180" deer. Unless you're applying in and hunting other states, 20 points in CO is more of an obstacle. Assuming you're a NR and willing to hire an outfitter, I'd look eastern plains and eat 17 points. If your mind is set on the western slope, you're not far off from a semi-decent 3rd rifle Gunnison tag. Otherwise, there's a handful of good deer in 61 and the outfitters are an easy Google search away, Godspeed.

My experience is, having a "hunt of a lifetime", is really up to you, regardless of the unit, points cashed in, etc.
And as AMann implied, the fastest way to ruin a "hunt of a lifetime" is to go into it with a preconceived notion about the size of trophy that your points and waiting have earned you. Certainly a good outfitter can improve your odds of finding a nice buck, so I'd stay open to that possibility.
If I were in your shoes, I'd look at all units that you can draw with 20 pts, and weigh your options. Then contact several outfitters and get their take before making a decision.
Best of luck

Unfortunately, "cashing in" on 20 points doesn't guarantee you a 200" deer/180" deer. Unless you're applying in and hunting other states, 20 points in CO is more of an obstacle. Assuming you're a NR and willing to hire an outfitter, I'd look eastern plains and eat 17 points. If your mind is set on the western slope, you're not far off from a semi-decent 3rd rifle Gunnison tag. Otherwise, there's a handful of good deer in 61 and the outfitters are an easy Google search away, Godspeed.
If it were me and I had the means/desire to hire an outfitter, I would burn your 20 on the best unit you can draw and go DIY and at the same time book with an outfitter a few years out for an Eastern Plains hunt then save a couple years of points and have two awesome hunts!

If it were me and I had the means/desire to hire an outfitter, I would burn your 20 on the best unit you can draw and go DIY and at the same time book with an outfitter a few years out for an Eastern Plains hunt then save a couple years of points and have two awesome hunts!
Haha that's a much better plan. Good call.

I feel your pain. I have 21 NR PP and feel Im still a year or two from what I want. I have a bunch in WY and UT so I may just wait.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom