Colorado Preference Points

crazyelk

My 13 yr old son is a non-resident. He has accumulated 2 preference points for deer. I'm planning to put him in for second season deer in unit 80/81 (D-M-080-O3-R). I am not sure how the CO draw works. I know that he could draw another preference point by using the perference point hunt code for his first choice and put in for the hunt code above as his second choice. Will applying for the actual hunt as a second choice, affect his chances of drawing this hunt while accumulating another point for his first choice? Or would it be better to apply the the hunt code above as his first choice and better his chances of drawing this deer licence? Hope this makes sense.

According on what I read on the CDOW webpage, it looks like my son needs 2 point to draw the hunt above. Do I read this correct?

Thanks in Advance....
Crazyelk

The only way to get a preference point is to be unseccessful in your first choice in the draw or use the preference point code as your first choice. You will not draw the above mentioned tag as a second choice because in order to draw a tag on your second choice the unit has to undersubscribed in the first drawing which is not the case on any unit that requires any preference points. You can use the draw odds tool on this site at the top of the page, which is a very usefull tool.

If last years odds hold, he only has a 1 in 3 chance of drawing even if he USES his 2 points.

Colorado drawings use PREFERENCE POINTS which means that they take the people with the most points first. In other words, a guy with 3 points would absolutely be drawn before a guy with 2 points.

He would not have ANY chance of drawing the tag as a second choice, as stated above.

You could do more research, put 80/81 as a first choice and another unit that has leftover tags as a second choice, which would give him a better chance of drawing something.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks guys for shedding some light on the subject. I will go ahead and have my son apply for 80/81 as his first choice and use his points. If I read the huntodds data correctly, my son with his 2 points has a 100% chance of drawing the hunt above. We shall see what happens. Thanks again guys....

Another question for the CO draw. Now if a unit can be drawn with 0 points how are the divided. Do they go to all the first choices for that species, then to the second choice? Lets say 2 guys applied for the same hunt, used preference point as first choice and the same hunt for the second choice. Is it random by second choice? What im trying to get at is if I put preference for first choice since i dont want to burn my points, do I then go into a pool of everyone that has 0 points and put the same hunt as my secoind choice or do they get looked at for their first choice before my second.

Comparing to NM where they go 1-2-3 per person then to the next person. I know its a bit different since they have no point system.

Confused enough?

Mike

I think you got it. They issue tag to the person holding the most points UNTIL there are more applicants in the next point pool than tags. Then it is a random draw. In 07 I drew a tag with 7 NR PPs. Everyone with 8 or more drew, only 4 of us with 7 drew. I was lucky for once. More confused or less??

Crazyelk: I think you are correct. What threw me off is that you said "second deer season" and I thought you meant second rifle season.

The hunt you list is the 3rd rifle season but it is the second deer rifle season (1st rifle is elk only).

2nd rifle season (1st deer season) was only 35% success with 2 points.

3rd rifle season (second deer season) was 100% draw with 2 points.

So sounds like you are on the right track.

txhunter58

300mike said: Lets say 2 guys applied for the same hunt, used preference point as first choice and the same hunt for the second choice. Is it random by second choice?

There would be no reason to ever apply for the same unit as a first and second choice. Someone with 0 points will always be drawn if he puts it as his first choice before someone with 0 points who puts it as his second choice.

However, once all the first choice applicants have drawn and there are still left over tags, THEN is is a truly random drawing. In other words, as a second choice, someone with 7 points has no advantage over someone with 0 points. AND there is no preference as to resident/nonresident status. Nonresidents have the same chance to draw as residents in the second choice drawings.

txhunter58

Yes I read that it had a 33% chance to draw with one point and 100 % drawing chance with 2 points. That being said, you have no chance of drawing it your second choice. If you put it as first choice you will draw the tag this year it looks like. Depends on what your wanting to do ? Are you wanting him to hunt this year or draw a point because you now have a choice to do either. Gary

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom