Colorado Raises on resident fees

Whiterock

Very Active Member
I read today that Colorado is raising there NR Elk tags to $575.00 this year.
I guess I am done going there for elk. I said if they raised there prices I am done.It just is not worth it to me when there is so much more hunting out there to do that don't cost that much.

Actually only a $21 increase, but....

Ever hear of putting the frog in cold water and then heating him up slow so he cooks without realizing it. Just $20/year adds up pretty quick.

I guess my question is why is it fair to raise our prices every year, but residents get to sit pat. I don't mind paying my fair share, but so should residents. I know the legalize (it is by law that they can raise noresidents every year, but a raise in residents would require an act of congress) but that doesn't make it fair.

Oh that is right, life is not fair. So we are back to square one.

And Colorado can't figure out why they have lost 30,000 nonresidents. Go figure????

However, Whiterock, they are not going up on cow tag pricing....

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

If i go after elk ,it will have to be for a cow.Though some don't agree,but I don't think a set of antlers is worth the extra cost.I got all the antlers in my house that I need.

I think it is still the cheapest and easiest elk tag for non residents . We as residents pay taxes in this state Wichita are the highest of any state Wichita should allow us to pay a cheaper price for our tags .
If you don't like the cost don't come and hunt it means very little to most Colorado residents.

I understand your frustration but after a quick run through of what other states charge Colorado is about mid price. I found Utah general at $388, utah LE at $795, Wyoming at $577, Montana at $812, and Nevada at $1200. Colorado's $575 seems right in there.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

That price seems pretty cheap to me. I know everyone likes to come out here hunting and I have no problem with that, but as a resident it is kind of nice to head to the hills and not see a million people.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-12 AT 00:38AM (MST)[p]Good Lord, the whining on the CO forum is incessant...

The increase you are moaning about substantiates to less than topping off a tank of frikken petrol or diesel for your rig. What the hell is your damage, exactly? Right, that you'd swore you'd NEVER pay for ANY increase again. Say, do ya apply that same neanderthal reckoning to the continuous inflation you face at the supermarket when buying your groceries?

Well good riddance to ya then, SO sorry to see ya go...one less goofy dude out their crampin up the country. Though, please indulge me this before you leave...where is the imaginary disneyland you're headed to that offers the nonresident this 'cheaper' value that you proclaim?

I for one am quite appreciate of the relative financial bargain and quality opportunity the great state of CO provides to us NR's, and will enjoy it until they take THEIR prerogative to do otherwise.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-12 AT 04:20AM (MST)[p]there are benefits to being a resident when it comes to hunting.

Well someone can take my place this year .As a non resident I will not pay that kind of money to hunt bull elk.
to many other things to do that costs alot less.
I may go back to mule deer and forget the elk.

For those that don't mind the fees ,have a great hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-12 AT 07:13AM (MST)[p]Jedi quote "only a sith deals in absolutes"..

How about you say you will never fill you rig up with gas if the price goes up or how about doing the same with a gallon of milk. You will be a very hungry man while walking to work here in a bout a week...... Here is a news flash for ya - tag prices are tied to CPI so when things like gas and milk go up so will a license to hunt elk.

I agree that a lot of whining is going on here. Colo is still the most friendly state for out of state hunters to hunt.

I would imagine come hunting season there will be a steady line of 50k trucks pulling 20k trailers with 15k worth of 4 wheelers in the back. All the while on the drive that will cost 1k in gas the occupants ##### about a extra $21 for a tag...

If some of you cant make it that is just the way it is. There will still be plenty of NR that make the trip.

I would like to see Co put in a hunting license requirement like Az, NV, or UT has then the dow could make 60 - 100 bucks every year for folks hunting or just building points. It would more than cover any lost hunters, help with point creep, and give the DOW a healthy dose of extra cash.

Newsflash: I can pay whatever the price gets up to, but many are being priced out of the hunt.

What I hear you saying is: Don't really care if normal guys get priced out because there are enough rich guys to take their place.

And I also hear you saying: We are too dependent on that tit (money). We need the nonresidents to pay 70% of our license income cause why should we have to pay?

I live in Texas, but the last time I stayed in a Dallas Hotel, I paid a tax that goes to pay for the Dallas Mavericks new venue. Someone had the bright idea. "Hey, we need to build them a new play area, but we don't want to pay for it. Hey, lets make visitors pay for our new venue. Yeah, that will work!" That is the same thing game depts all over the west are doing. Don't like it in Texas either.

And as far as "Colorado is still the most reasonable". You will probably still be saying that when most states charge $10,000 and Colorado only chargers $8,000 for a license

txhunter58

>I read today that Colorado is
>raising there NR Elk tags
>to $575.00 this year.
>I guess I am done going
>there for elk. I said
>if they raised there prices
>I am done.It just is
>not worth it to me
>when there is so much
>more hunting out there to
>do that don't cost that
>much.

I live here and I too think its too much for Nonresidents to pay. I'd rather see Nonresidents limited by quota (20%) than price them out.

But its no secret that elk = money to the CPW and they arent willing to lose any even though they take in twice what other western states do

TX I am glad you can pay for a hunt and hope you have a good one the next time you are out! Also I am betting that most folks out there can pay the extra 6 cents a day if they choose to come and hunt a BULL elk in CO.

Another way of looking at it is that any NR hunter could save over 40 cents a day by just hunting a cow.. Now there is fiscal responsibility!!

The DOW/Parks is also betting that most will still make the trip. Some will be priced out but most will find a way if they want to. Just as your bills go up so does the bills for the DOW. That is why I support the CPI increase and would for both residents and non residents every year.

It is the same reason and I know the DOW/Parks is looking at the hunting license addition (just like ut at 65 or az at 140). A great money maker as everyone who is building points would pay to hunt.. Some may drop out but most would continue to pay and get their points.

Again I would pay it (as I buy a hunting/fishing license every year) and have no problem with a resident increase at CPI. The simple addition of a hunting license requirement would more than make up for the small percentage of hunters that choose not to hunt Colo over $21...

Like I said most of the whining will come from a NR who is filling up a brand new 40k truck with $120 bucks of $3.50 cent gas.. If folks want to hunt Co they will and the only folks 6 cents a day will drive off are the ones who choose not to hunt Co...

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-12 AT 09:33AM (MST)[p]Anyone who applies just for a point is already being charged $38 for it. $25 point fee, $10 habitat fee (nonrefundable) and $3 application fee. So if you apply for both elk and deer that is $66 already.

You don't pay the $25 fee if you actually buy a license, but surely we more than make up for that when pay the license fee and buy gas/groceries, etc in your state.

txhunter58

If I were a NR I wouldn't pay. I would just stay home,take my tag and gas money and run down to the local sale barn and buy a nice plump black angus on the hoof. My other plan would be a HF buffalo. Both plans would fill the freezer and I would stiff the cheap skate bastards of Colorado.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-12 AT 10:10AM (MST)[p]

Yes, but:

"Hi, my name is David, and I am an elkoholic"

I don't drink, don't smoke, and surely don't do drugs, so I have to get my high somehow....

And my supplier just keeps raising prices cause he knows most of us are true addicts

txhunter58

Like I said ,I may still hunt for a cow ,but to me a bull is not worth the $.
Almost $600 for a 6%-10% chance at harvesting an animal?

I will stay with a cow ,deer or antelope tags.

To me the difference in cost will buy half my fuel for the trip and I still will have a good time.

Whine, whine, whine. Good lord its only $21. Our cost of living to live in Colorado is higher than about any other state. Many of us residents have supported the herds through land ownership which I guarantee costs us more than $21 a year. I think that gives us the right to have cheaper tags. If you don't like it, stay the hell home. Colorado has been more than generous to out of staters.

State Parks is actually solvent and has been for several years. They were combined due to CDOW consistently being in the red. Please don't post irresponsible comments if you have no knowledge of the situation.

Makes sense, we all pay taxes on National Forest and you want us nonresidents to pay the higher prices to hunt any of the game. Go figure! It's a joke! Should be the same across the board..... The state of Colorado would bring in more money overall if the residents had to pay the same price. Set same fee for all hunters and see how the residents pitch a fit! Many people feel the way I do!

I would like it if residents paid more. I would like longer seasons either sex tags, oh and maybe a NR cap of say 4 to 5% of total tags. I like it. Now who will pitch a fit?

Just have to look at comments concerning LO vouchers.. Locals are all fine and dandy with prices until the NRs shoot prices of them way up, then all of a sudden they should go into the drawing so maybe a few PPs can pick one up. There's no perfect system or perfect pricing to satisfy everyone.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-12 AT 01:38PM (MST)[p]The ONLY reason Parks is solvent is that they get general funds to support their budget. About 20 - 30 ish percent of their budget comes from every tax payer in CO. In fact Parks is so far upside down that they had to do something like join with the DOW or shut down a bunch of parks.

DOW was operating "enterprise" status or no funds used to come out of the general fund to support its budget.

So general funds will now support the DOW/Parks in the merger..

As far as how they are working out the merger you still have time for public comment and the link is outlined below. You can also view the draft merger plan as well. Public comment is until Jan 16th if anyone wants to comment.

http://dnr.state.co.us/DPW/Pages/PublicInput.aspx

You have no idea what so ever what you are talking about if you believe Parks was ever solvent with out dipping into the general funds budget. The DOW has always done a better job of supporting its budget through fees than parks ever will..

I would be all for paying the same as NR if they went to a 5-10% NR cap. I would love it. Every other state does it why can't we. I'm sick of Colorado being the fall-back state so everyone can manage for quality and we get stuck with everyone and their brother because they can get a tag here every year. The best part of all this is that no matter how much all you NR whine it's NOT GOING TO CHANGE. It's real simple: pay for a more expensive bull tag, buy a cheaper cow tag, or stay on the couch. Even if they did raise resident prices I would pay them because I love to elk hunt and I can save in other areas so that I can elk hunt. Its a PRIVILEGE to get to hunt every year, not a RIGHT.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-12 AT 02:00PM (MST)[p]Lets just start auctioning off all of the hunting licenses, they could do it online like Ebay then the state knows its getting every dollar they possibly can.

No more preference points no more BS no more oh poor me they raised the price $21.00 you want that tag what are you willing to pay for it.

No more resident non resident just sell the tag for the most money possible.

Sounds a lot like hunting in Europe and if hunters keep fighting each other resident non resident state to state I believe this is exactly where we are headed.

No system is perfect but its better than nothing be happy its 2012 and if the Myans are right none of this crap is going to matter.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-12 AT 07:22PM (MST)[p]

>Many of us residents have
>supported the herds through land
>ownership which I guarantee costs
>us more than $21 a
>year. .

I own 9 acres in Colorado and pay over $2000 in property taxes each year in Colorado. And I have a friend (also a nonresident) that owns over 1800. How many acres do you own?

You call us whiners but all we are doing is expressing our opinions. Why don't you stop whining about our opinions.

txhunter58

Less Non-residents? Oh no, now I am sad. If you think Co is a waste of money for the cost of a Non-res BULL tag, then by all means go to another state. Deep down though, you know you don't want to go anywhere else. To say that our non-res fee is expensive compared to most of the other states is laughable. Plus we have more public land and elk than most of the others combined. Of course we don't have the combo wolf tag like most of the others, so that may be a factor to consider.

smiley-violent064.gif

We own over 1200 continuous acres that support a year round herd. Over 760 we have stopped grazing to allow the feed to come back for the wildlife. I think that entitles me to a cheaper tag. I get sick of NR b*&$%ing about every little thing. Like I said pay the price or stay out. Go whine to your other Texas buddies cause we don't want to hear it.

It's funny how much NR's complain right now. Come april they want in on everyones secret spots and hints and help and so on. people that share that info make me sick.

They don't ##### near as bad as the Utah boys so a little griping here and there is ok. :D

up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-12 AT 10:15AM (MST)[p]I am glad to see they did not raise the price on a cow tag.I probably would not draw an either sex tag any way with just one point for muzzleloader.

Besides ,who wants to eat one of those stinky old bulls when you could have a nice sweet steak from a nice fat cow !

And deer tags went up $12. Notin to write home about there.

I just think it is funny every time this subject comes up there are always those that get their panties in a wad. It makes sense to me to discuss this on the Colorado forum because us NR are not ALL from Texas. I am just expressing my opinions about the price increase. If that bothers some, they should change the channel.

Droptine: with that much land you certainly do deserve some breaks, and some landowner tags.

txhunter58

I am a N/R Utahn and I am not whining but I am not real happy about any price increase in my state or any other. Hunting has always been a priveledge not a right...but as the price to play increases overall hunter numbers will decrease. That is something that in the long run will hurt everybody. We need to keep as many of us in the ranks as possible to battle the antis and tree huggers. When hunting issues reach the ballot box we will lose the priveledge if only those who have fat wallets are left. I have been loyally sending CO money for the last 16 years for the priveledge to hunt elk in a L/E unit..with my bow. By the time I draw I will have seen at least 5 price increases and app fees and point costs will easily exceed a grand. Thats alot to me but I do it cause Im a daggum elk addict. And no I wont ask anyone for their advice..I have been scouting the unit the last 6 years cause I anticipated drawing the damn tag every year!

The sense of entitlement by residents always amazes me when it comes to tag allocations and prices. Unfortunately, it's that way in all states that have public hunting lands, not just Colorado...I just don't get it.

I see all of your points and they are valid. You guys want cheaper tags and we want more tag allocation, both being valid points. I would love to go to Utah or Arizona to chase huge elk but I definitely don't expect them to cater to me. I think every state has the right to give its residents "preference" on tag numbers. I know that everyone doesn't agree with this but I think that it is a valid argument. I'm sure each of your states offers you something that it doesn't to non-residents. I guess it all comes down to which state you live in. One way to solve out of state prices is to become a resident. Just throwing that one out there for the hell of it.

>One way to
>solve out of state prices
>is to become a resident.
> Just throwing that one
>out there for the hell
>of it.

That's exactly what I did and I do expect to pay higher fees when I hunt Utah or Wyoming. Just the way it is.

up anyway."

First off, I can understand both sides on this cost issue.

In the areas I hunt, I do have the pleasure to hunt elk every year here in Colorado. IMO our resident costs are reasonable, although I wouldn't complain "too much" if they raised the resident fees somewhat.

I also understand the NR cost issues as I hunt/have hunted Wyoming, Nebraska, Texas, Idaho and Kansas and also apply in New Mexico (haven't drawn there yet). BTW, Colorado is far from being the most expensive state for a NR elk tag.

I do think it to be an unfortunate fact that many states do see their NR license sales as the proverbial "cash cow", but I suspect they must do so in order to make ends meet with regards to budgeting for their wildlife/fish agencies.

Colorado, as I am sure most of the states, not only manage their wildlife/fisheries for sportsman, but also feel the need (political pressure)to manage these resources for those folks who wish to just view (and coincidentally who don't directly contribute to the cause) as well as manage for NR opportunities (needed revenue stream). I wonder what would happen if the Pittman-Robertson Act excise tax was expanded to cover.......?

Anyway, I for one am just happy to be able to hunt Colorado as well as other states. I am quite confident that at some point in time my excursions into NR states will have to decline due to being cost prohibitive and quite possibly become impossible due to the costs. When my NR costs rise to the point I can no longer afford them, I'm out.

If you are fortunate enough to live in one of the states that has the quality and quantity of your intended quarry, great. It's also great to be able to research which other states may provide you with the best opportunities to pursue any other intended quarry that might be on your wishlist and determine if you can afford to take advantage of such opportunities.

As long as I can afford it, I will enjoy my passion and the opportunities available to me!

There's only 1 degree of DEAD!

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-12
>AT 11:06?AM (MST)

>
>I only play the mule deer
>"game" in Colorado. The kid
>has 7 elk points tho.
>
>
>The 2012 prices are:
>
>$576 for NR elk ($25 increase
>or +4.5%)
>$351 for NR deer ($20 increase
>or +6%)
>
>http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCol...Education/pdf/HunterEducation/HuntPlanner.pdf

Not quite right:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/SeasonDatesAndFees/Pages/BigGameDatesAndFees.aspx

Website listed pricing

2011 elk $554, new price $576 (increase of $22)

2011 deer $334, new price $346 (increase of $12)

Confusing part is if you look up 2011 price of bull elk it says $554 (but it was actually $551 on my tag). Maybe they added $3 for application fee if you apply? So does the "new price" listed also include a $3 add on? Will it actually cost $573?

With deer I assume it includes a $3 fee for applying since that is the only way you can get a deer tag.

txhunter58

>Maybe you should just whine in
>the Texas forum.

I cant find the Texas forum to whine in so I guess I will need to whine here if and when I start whining.

I am glad you noticed that little piece of satire. Colorado is a great state and it allows everyone an opportunity for a quality hunt. Residents pay a lot less but non residents can hunt every year. Next year the price will increase a little more and we will hear the same complaints. Hopefully the parks merger won't push the new price out of reach. I am sure that the new {partners} will look at other states and compare products and adjust to a new bottom line. If that is the case this 21 dollar increase will seem like nothing.

When I read threads like this one, I am often reminded of Ronald Reagan?s Eleventh Commandment: ?Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican?. Most of the members and readers of this forum are driven by the same passion, big game hunting. It never ceases to amaze me that there can be so much strife between individuals who are united by a common passion. Disagreement I can understand and believe to a degree is healthy, but to display the appearance of hatred and distain towards others over a simple difference of opinion or your state of residence in my opinion offers no value except to add fuel to the fire to those that would take away our right to hunt if given the chance.

Perhaps the Eleventh Commandment should be, "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Hunter."

Carry on.

Rick Nolan

With all due respect, It's not my intention to upset anyone on my first ever post, but the real issue here is not that the fees were raised again, but what you get for your money! If you choose to hunt in Colorado you are subject to overcrowding, low success rates, short seasons and many other detractors. Colorado has been the dumping ground of OTC (over-the-counter) non-res hunters for as long as I've hunted here. We get the indigent last minute guys as well as the rich guys who hunt every year. No matter how bad the hunting they still come. Because of the national economy the numbers have slacked off a bit but you wouldn't know it on opening day, with the crowds. Wouldn't it be nice to pay your high tag fees and actually have better than a 15% chance at harvesting a bull? Wouldn't it be nice to at least see a 330 bull? Yet every year thousands of non-res sportsman travel en masse to hunt our wildlife,with no thought as to what they get for their money. I would be embarassed to take people's money for what we have to offer. I would be equally embarassed to take people's money to offer them a guided public ground hunt. I would be shamefully embarassed to spend $300,000 on an advertising campaign designed to increase non-res hunter numbers last year.(yes using your non-res tag revenues) The Colorado Parks and Recreation ,(oops I meant Colorado Parks and Wildlife), is a bastard of an agency, they don't care about you, they don't care about me and sadly they show little care for Colorado's wildlife. Five or six hundred buck is not to much to ask for non-res elk tags if the division actually invested this in habitat acquisition and enhancements. As a resident sportsman I get to pay high State income tax, high cost of living and don't get any deals on my tags either. I live here and can't deer hunt every year(like we used to) because my tag was given to a higher paying non-res. I get to hunt abbreviated hunting seasons due to the fact that to raise revenue the division has to fit as many week long seasons as they can into a fall. Oh did I mention that We residents are only alloted barely more than half the total of tags. If you want to complain then do so for more than the pettiness that we pay less than you.

Whats not true in his post?

15% success on Bulls?

crowded short seasons?

Little spent on the Big Game of the budget

Only 55% of tag allocation is realy reserved for residents after 15% is taken for Landowner vouchers

Seems like hit the nail on the head IMO

>Whats not true in his post?
>
>
>15% success on Bulls?
>
As an over all percentage you are correct. Break that down to seasons and ypur value is low. I know several units have 25-30% success rate within the early seasons and can be drawn yearly. Pretty good odds on a nearly general unit.

>crowded short seasons?
>
Crowded? Yup. Ever hunt Wyoming? Crowded there too. Short seasons? Yup. Animals Hunted from August - January with numerous short seasons inter mixed. Ever take notice the total number of animals harvested yet?

>Little spent on the Big Game
>of the budget
>

State lacks here. Our field biologist are begging for habitat improvements but some how these pencil pushers aren't hearing them and realizing the importance. We have a lot of old habitat needing a little rejuvination.

>Only 55% of tag allocation is
>realy reserved for residents after
>15% is taken for Landowner
>vouchers
>

And who's taking it in the shorts with this one... I think next year I am gonna take my unit 10 tag and sell it for $5,000. LO's do it.
I think non residents getting 35% of the tags is a pretty good deal but let's not forget they all get put into the same pool as residents with any tags left over after the initial 1st choice drawing. Makes their draw odds even better with an even larger allocation.

>Seems like hit the nail on
>the head IMO

I'd say a pretty good smack but not a solid hit on that nail. Good discussion though.

up anyway."

>Whats not true in his post?
>15% success on Bulls?
>crowded short seasons?
>Little spent on the Big Game
>of the budget
>Only 55% of tag allocation is
>realy reserved for residents after
>15% is taken for Landowner
>vouchers
>Seems like hit the nail on
>the head IMO

Here are a few untruths:

>Wouldn't
>it be nice to pay
>your high tag fees and
>actually have better than a
>15% chance at harvesting a
>bull?

You make your own success, or not. As a resident, it's not too hard to kill elk in Colorado with a little effort. Of course it will be more difficult for the non-resident who drives 1,500 miles and spends 5 days a year in the state. Or the resident who spends 5 days a year in the unit he hunts. Seems everyone wants something handed to them, but sometimes you have to work for what you want. If you think your chance at harvesting a bull is only 15%, then maybe you should work harder at it.

Wouldn't it be nice
>to at least see a
>330 bull?

They are more common than most of you think. See "working harder" above.

>As a resident sportsman I
>get to pay high State
>income tax, high cost of
>living and don't get any
>deals on my tags either.

You pay a whole $46 dollars for your tag...a bargain at twice the price. See "wanting something for nothing" above.

> I live here and
>can't deer hunt every year(like
>we used to) because my
>tag was given to a
>higher paying non-res.

Don't know where this comment comes from? There are leftover buck tags every year. You obviously choose not to hunt every year. How do you figure your tag was given to a non-resident? I don't recall resident quotas being moved to the non-resident draw.

I
>get to hunt abbreviated hunting
>seasons due to the fact
>that to raise revenue the
>division has to fit as
>many week long seasons as
>they can into a fall.

Raise revenue with shorter seasons? Are you implying that if our seasons were longer, fewer people would hunt? The multiple season structure is to reduce crowding and attempt to keep elk on public land where hunters can actually hunt them. And 95% of hunters would still not hunt more than 5 days if given a month long season.

>Oh did I mention that
>We residents are only alloted
>barely more than half the
>total of tags.

I assume you are referring to landowner tags, which are available equally to residents or non-residents? Pretty sure they are not "allocated" solely to non-residents. For the record, I don't agree with the landowner voucher program, but to say that residents cannot acquire those tags is simply wrong.

Another untruth: The cost of the nonresident tag is the cheapest part of the trip.

Not for me. On an average year:

With a group of 3 going 900 miles, we each spend close to $200 each on gas

$40 on hotels (1/3 of two $60 hotel bills, one going and one coming back) However, many years we don't get a hotel going up, we drive straight through, so in that case only $20

Eating out on the trip up and back: About $50-60 each

Food while we are there: $0 You got to eat whether you are home or in the woods. Might even eat cheaper in the woods than at home.

Misc: ammo, ice, etc A max of $100.

My equipment(tent, guns, etc) has been bought and paid for for years and would be used in Texas even if I didn't go to Colorado.

I am sure there are people even more frugal than I to be able to afford the trip.

So on an average year, an elk tag IS the most expensive part of the hunt.

txhunter58

It costs me about the same for fuels as a bull elk tag costs.I am considering a deer tag this year instead of elk. Getting to old to pack out an elk,even a cow elk.I got a couple of pref points for deer ,just deciding what NW unit to try.

well, 'Oak nails it in pretty damn straight...

Latin signiture dude sure does pontificate profusely, but never does seem to acquire the makings of ANY sort of a point

And I am at a loss as to WHY Whiterock even authored this thread...all I've seen is a bunch of backpeddling nonsense from his corner

Anyways, it seems as if someone or the other's whining is published on the mighty Interwebz, it somehow makes their hollow complaints feel validated...which is alright if it makes 'em feel better about themselves I guess

Pffft...pretty silly business

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-12 AT 03:47AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-12 AT 03:34?AM (MST)

>
>
>
>And I am at a loss
>as to WHY Whiterock even
>authored this thread...all I've seen
>is a bunch of backpeddling
>nonsense from his corner

I guess I don't see the backpeddling as I said in my first post,a bull elk tag is not worth the price to me ,thats in Colorado or any other state.
It is not just the cost of the tag ,it's the overall cost of the trip.
There is alot of other hunting to do like cow elk or deer that is a couple hundred bucks less and you still get to hunt.

>
>Latin signiture dude sure does pontificate
>profusely, but never does seem
>to acquire the makings of
>ANY sort of a point
>
>

Sorry the points I have made seem to be beyond your understanding.

How about this for a point: Used to have a group of 4-5 guys that went. Now down to 3, at least partly due to the tag price (along with other increases). Might lose another one this year. So one point is, when our group loses a member, it makes it that much more expensive for the remaining guys when we split the expenses. That is one reason the guy this year may have to drop out.

Here is another point. Why don't you stop whining about my facts/opinions and dispute any untruths you find. Maybe because it is always easier to attack the person than dispute their truths?

txhunter58

Nah guys, I apologize, that came out a bit more abrasively than it was intended...I assure ya it was written with a smile

Whiterock, you started out by lamenting the price increase for a bull tag, then proceeded to say you don't care about bull hunting anyway but would rather shoot a cow, and are now stating that you don't want to go elk hunting at all! See what I mean?

Yes TX, I suppose your elusively circumspect 'points' are far too profound for a feller of my stunted level of intelligence to grasp...by the way, I didn't accuse you of proclaiming 'untruths', its just my OPINION that you talk a lot but don't really say much ;)

I still think much of this thread is quite silly, but by all means, carry on

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-12 AT 02:12PM (MST)[p]

HERE IS WHAT PANTIES IN A WAD SOUNDS LIKE:
Post #1... I dont mind paying my fair shair but so should residents

Post #11... Newsflash I can pay whatever the price gets up to

Post #14... surely we more than make up for that when pay the license fee and buy gas/groceries, etc in your state.

Post #16... And my supplier just keeps raising prices cause he knows most of us are true addicts

Post #26...I own 9 acres in Colorado and pay over $2000 in property taxes each year in Colorado.

Post #35...If that bothers some, they should change the channel.

Post #42...(but it was actually $551 on my tag)

Post #54...So on an average year, an elk tag IS the most expensive part of the hunt.

Post #58...Sorry the points I have made seem to be beyond your understanding.

So tell us txhunter 58, what should us residents be paying for are tags...
Give us a detailed list....

Shoot ive hunted one of the best units in wyoming that cost more and i had to wait 6 yrs for it and it was 50/50 split wich was better between it and a OTC colorado archery and rifle hunt. I think colorado elk is still one of the best bang for yer buck for elk.

It is, our group went 4 for 4 on bulls & it was all their first trips to go shoot/hunt one... I even lucked into seeing a cpl while looking for deer.

Greatwestern: I think we would probably enjoy swapping stories across a campfire. Just have different perspectives. And you are right, the thread has outlived its usefulness.

Tetra: I would contend that getting your panties in a wad is taking that much time to put together a post. And as far as what should you be paying? Don't have a figure in mind. My POINT is that we get a raise in pricing automatically every year while you get to sit pat.

I am done beating this dead horse.

txhunter58

I'll pay the money, but it would be nice if Colorado would enter the 21st century and handle their drawing like the other states do with taking CCs and charging for the tag you draw, not sitting on all your money for 4 months before refunding the unsuccessful draw price.

Oh, yeah, that would cause them to lose the 4 months of interest on my money, how silly of me.

If a non government industry tried to do it that way they would get slapped by the regulators.

But I'll still pay the fee.

sled_guy

>I'll pay the money, but it
>would be nice if Colorado
>would enter the 21st century
>and handle their drawing like
>the other states do with
>taking CCs and charging for
>the tag you draw, not
>sitting on all your money
>for 4 months before refunding
>the unsuccessful draw price.
>
>Oh, yeah, that would cause them
>to lose the 4 months
>of interest on my money,
>how silly of me.
>
>If a non government industry tried
>to do it that way
>they would get slapped by
>the regulators.

You have never had to wait 4 months between the application deadline and a refund in Colorado.

Montana, Wyoming, and New Mexico make you pay up front. Idaho makes you pay up front for moose, sheep or goat.

States are not allowed to collect interest on application money, FYI.

With all due respect, Whiterock should be commended for his choice not to participate due to rising nr fees. Our wildlife agency has already factored in nr attrition into their revenue models. Several years back they conducted a "Willingness to Pay" study, which in turn provided them with useful data on just how much they can get away with charging nr's. The only reason they haven't completely gone overboard on res fee's is to avoid a full scale riot. Are any of us getting our money's worth? Someone said that res tags would be a bargain at twice the price. Really? I feel like $45 of my money goes to administrative costs and only $1 makes its way to help wildlife and habitat. Did you know that BEFORE any big game license revenue can make its way to back benefit our big game herds, it must first be raided to fund the fisheries program? How about non-game species?, How about goose and pheasant leases along the Front Range? How about new suv's for administrators? You guessed it! We're all getting ripped off. I'm pretty sure the only money that actually makes it back to wildlife/habitat is what comes from our Habitat Improvement Stamp. Most sportsmen think our wildlife managers are doing a satisfactory job. Big game money needs to stay in big game. Our wildlife administrators don't manage wildlife, they just peddle deer and elk licenses. A quote from a good friend: "I have a right to hunt. They have a privilege to manage our wildlife."

I had no idea Colorado was such a terrible place to hunt!

Seems like every time I go to CO I have more fun than the last. If its such a crappy place to hunt stay home, if you can't afford it... get a second job or drink less beer.

When was the application period last year? I got my refund in June.

Utah's system is slick, but of course by making it all automatic and online they decrease the number of hands on people that are needed so that is a 'jobs killer'.

sled_guy

Dont like it stay home!!! they are raising the price on elk tags so we can rebuild our moose population, cuz these TX HUNTERS KEEP SHOOTING MOOSE THINKING THEY ARE ELK.... HAHAHAHAHA

Have the numbers come out on how well the $300,000 ad campaign went to attract more nonresidents? Seems odd to me that they were basically saying we are losing you so we will charge the rest of you more to offset our ad campaign and those that can no longer afford to come.

IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!!!!

A lot of whining about nothing. I apply and hunt in Colorado because I can. My Nevada hunt was tons better than any of my 10+ Colorado hunts BUT now I have to wait 10 years just to apply again. While I'm waiting to draw a quaility LE Utah elk tag, I'll hunt Colorado. While I'm waiting to use my max PPs in Wyoming, I'll hunt Colorado. While I'm deciding if I want to apply for NM's 6% NR quota, I'll hunt Colorado. While I'm waiting to draw a 5% quota tag in Oregon, I'll hunt Colorado.

But I do have one other option. I could get on the computer and whine about a $21.00 price increase, the fact that Colorado changed their percentage of tags issued to NRs after I was in the points game for over 10 years based on resident pressure, the amount of hunters I may see when I hunt Colorado, the percentage of Colorado Fish and Game budget funded by NRs or maybe even how much it costs me to get to Colorado.

Nope, I'll just continue to hunt Colorado every other year for elk and every 4-5 years for deer.

"I apply and hunt in Colorado because I can."

Good for you!

txhunter58

having read this whole thread I think all responses, well most, are very interesting, but only one really touched on what is most important to me about the fees for hunting on public land (federal forrest lands, etc). I believe residents as well as non residents pay taxes to support these lands and were originally designated as federal lands to protect them from privatization so that all citizens of our country will be able to enjoy their bounty. With the prices of tags continuing to climb, I fear that more and more hunters will not be able to afford to intorduce their children to the experience that we have enjoyed in the past. As their participation declines, and the non-hunter voices begin to crowd out the remaining hunter voice, we may very well end up with hunting available to the few who can afford much higher fees than we pay today, and maybe only on private land. To me, keeping the prices at levels that the average person can afford, resident and non-resident,is a must to protect all of our access to hunt. If non-residents are prioed out, why would they want to support federal land hunting in colo, wyoming, utah,new mexico, arizona,etc.

as a n.r. who hunts 2-3 states a year ,whats all the fuss on a small amount. I think they should raise the fee even more maybe 700.00 for a bull tag . To many darn hunters, weed them down. on a gen. bull tag your just gonna kill a rag horn , hunt the cow for cheaper let the bulls get bigger then we will all be happy. Its not the price its the quilty of the hunt and the game hunted. I havent hunted colorado in many years , even when it was cheap, because its like being in a pumpkin patch with all the orange every where. If you like it pay if you dont go somewhere else ,theres many states and game in all of them , but you will pay for it nothing is cheap no even gas, 3.75 a gal 80.00 to fill the tank. 5 1/2 tanks of gas for a bull tag , not to bad.

Nice for you to say it's ok for them to raise the fees. Might not mean S$%T yto you but what about the average guy that want to make the trip or someone that wants to take a couple kids along. We used to make the trip every year from PA and could do the whole hunt for $1000. Them days are long gone. When I finally burn up my 20NR PP's it jmay just be my last elk hunt in CO. I get a lot more bang for my bucks on a goose hunt to Saskatchuan.

average guy, hum . well you cant get any more average than me. and yes I take my kids , wife , who ever draws a tag. If it takes me to stay home for a week to make up the price so be it . If 25.00 or even 100.00 price increase is going to make you cry you better stop hunting now. Its not going to get better. there is no shortage of hunters, maybe goose hunting is your cup of tee , but add up the cost of that hunt per pound of meat you get from your limit, that colorado price isnt to bad now is it.
Yes I wish the good old days of the 250.00 bull tag and a 150.00 deer tag was still here but I also wish gas was 65.cents a gal. P.s. I only hunt colorado when I draw a great hunt not just to go shot a average elk or deer .

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-12 AT 06:26PM (MST)[p]You missed the point of my post. I hunt somewhere out west each and ever year an have since 1982. WY antelope last year and UT elk the year before. Hopefully CO this year if I can draw my area 2 archery tag. $100 may not be that impacting on you or me but I am sure it does for others. I made that trip with guys that worked in the mill and didn't make a lot of $$. Western hunting is becoming financially challenging for them. I know wining over it is not going to change a thing. Doesn't mean we can't give an opinion.

By the way I like my goose and turkey hunting as much as my big game hunts. If that's wrong so be it.

P.S Guess you are not getting many CO hunts in if you are waiting to draw a great hunt. Not with the point creep these days.

Everybody has to deal with out of staters in there states during hunting seasons. Get over it! The truth is if it wasnt for all of the out of staters and every program for elk and mule deer the in staters wouldnt be hunting them either. It is a big boost to the states economy which is good for all states. If you want lower taxes move. Id say alot of people dont hunt colorado because of the people.

After thinking about it some I realize I was quick to judge. I think that the resident should be catered to, after all that is there home state. Me being a nr that wants to hunt the state I want to hunt out west. I dont care how much the tag costs I will gladly pay to hunt. It might work in my favor less competition for tags would be great and fewer people in the timber. I dont think that even 700 or 800 is to much to do something that you love to do. I waste that much each year on things that i wont ever use. If you really love elk hunting then cut some othr things out that you do to just pass the time and concentrate on elk.

I am DIY hunter on a budget and a fixed income.I budgeted 1500 for my Colorado trip last year.After the trip I added it up.

Original budget: $1500
Truck Repairs in Trinidad: $5500 (duramax injectors)
Lodging and meals for 3 waiting for truck repairs: $750
Taxidermist $750

License apps for 2012 $1800
Colorado budget 2012 $1500

See y'all this fall!!!! Look for the red duramax with the Texas plates!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom