Colorado second season luck?

hunter

Hoping to here how some hunts went on the second season in colorado, Headed out this weekend for a third season hunt, looks like the weather might be a little cooler. Should be a great time either way. Thanks for any one willing to share!

So far its been a great year for my family and friends. Ill try and post some pictures. Muley, Bull, and Cow..

Im hunting 3rd season bull. We hunt on western Co by the way.

6053img_0338.jpg

163img_0326.jpg

This was a first season bull my friends got.

5718bigbull.jpg

Here's my report from 2nd season:

Back from a week in elk country. We got beat up by the weather, high's of 70 degrees for the first 3 days had them holed up. Then it rained, then we finally saw a good bull. We went after him the next day, then got stuck in a blizzard and had to back out. The last day we hunted a big park covered in 6 inches of snow, I think all the elk moved down by that time. First DIY OTC hunt in Colorado. If you want to punch tags there you have to get away from the orange army. We covered 93 miles on the ATV's and 23 on foot in 6 days and ran into other hunters every where we went.

>If you want to punch
>tags there you have to
>get away from the orange
>army.

>and ran into other hunters
>every where we went.

DoeNob

Thats begginning to be just as difficult as getting the animals.

Ive hunted my whole life in Western Colorado and it seems like last year the amount of people doubled in the area I hunt. Im scared to see what Nov 5th 3rd season looks like this year.

I have a feeling im going to be in the same boat weather wise as what you experienced. It can help or slow you down. Only advantage I got is im going where they move into as they move down.

Drew a 2nd season bull elk tag-central part of the state. On my DIY, I saw 35 cows, 4 bulls. Managed to knock down a 5x5 on the fourth day(after the storm blew in).

I got skunked, but my son got a 6x5 bull and a 4x4 muley. A friend only had a cow tag and he easily filled it. We saw elk every day and many does. The muley bucks must have been higher and/or in the thick stuff. The deer numbers in one area kept us coming back to there, but we didn't see a buck until the last day and my son shot it. In hindsight, we should have concentrated on the elk. We also lost most of 2 days packing out the elk. Overall, it was a fun hunt. We were in unit 23.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-11 AT 10:43AM (MST)[p]In our group we took 2 bucks and 2 bulls. We saw a handful of other good bulls but didn't get. Saw a few cows too. We've hunted this area now for 3 years and saw more deer then we ever have. Not too many bucks but quite a few does compared to years past. We were by Aspen in an OTC bull unit. Our camp neighbor had hunted this same area for over 10 yrs and he noticed more deer too and mentioned that that bad winter 4-5 yrs ago definitely culled that herd down quite a bit, by his estimate ~60%. So hopefully that means its starting to come back. One day we saw a ermine and that guy next to us saw a pine marten out in the snow. It was pretty cool to see. Also saw over 30 turkeys too. Not as good as we had hoped but we had a great time.

Found this in the bottom of one canyon, thought it was kinda cool:
494pa270022.jpg

Weather flat out stunk for most of our 2nd season and seemed to have very small windows of opportunity to see animals up. Found 2 bucks over 180 decided to look at them instead of shoot them, then it snowed and they moved. Ended up relocating a 30" buck for my wife to shoot and I waited, and waited trying to find a good buck for me and it just didn't happen and shot on the last evening we had to hunt. Out of our group 4 bulls, 2 cows & 2 bucks were shot.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom