Colorado Sheep & Goat Orientation

songdog

For those of you that happened to be lucky enough to draw Colorado sheep and/or mountain goat tags, Are you going to the sheep & goat orientation on July 8th in Denver?

For those of you who have gone to the sheep & goat orientation in the past, is it really worth the time and effort to attend the orientation?

Best of luck on your sheep & goat hunts!!!

I attended the CO bighorn sheep orientation about 10 years ago and found it to be worthwhile. The information exchange was okay, but the principal benefit was in the networking with other sheep hunters and CO DOW personnel. I made some good contacts that were helpful later.

One interesting observation was that most of those in attendance were good 'ole deer and elk hunters who knew next to nothing about sheep hunting, but had applied for Bighorn... because they were there. Most all appeared eager to learn, however, and I assume they had a good hunt.

If it were my (most likely, once in a lifetime) tag... I'd go again.

I didn't draw this year, but I have in the past (drawn and gone to the orientation). If you have not hunted sheep or goats before, it is worth the time.

There are usually game wardens and biologist that can answer questions for your unit. It is a good opportunity to pick their brains.

And if you drew a sheep ewe tag, there is information on how to tell a ewe from a young ram. That alone could save your bacon.

If you can't attend, you should be able to get copies of the handouts and a couple of years ago, the presentations were put on a DVD that you can buy.

There is some good networking that can go on at the orientation. Both years I drew sheep tags I did not attend but went with my wife 3 years ago when she drew. The downside is there are a lot of sheep fanatics there which usually puts a damper on any occassion. What unit did you draw ? Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom