Colorado sugg. for 3rd season, 2 pts

TGLBRH33

Hey guys,

Looking for any recommendations for 3rd season Mule Deer (2020) in Colorado. Currently have 2 points.

I've hunted unit 42/421 a couple years ago and had success. Found a 160-170 class buck on the last day, unfortunately I had already filled my tag with a smaller meat buck. Honestly I planned to go back there this year but due to having a newborn this October I had to postpone my Colorado trip...thus the 2 points.

I'd like to try a different unit to explore more of Colorado and burn my 2 points. I've been debating between 43, 3, 14, or maybe 35. I'd love to hear experiences or suggestions to these units for 3rd season, or other units I may be overlooking.

This will be a hunt with my father and father in law. I'm willing to hike and put in some miles to get away from roads and other hunters. Although, my father has some health issues and this will probably be his last hunt before he calls it quits...so my main focus will be getting him on a buck. Im not looking for a trophy, just a chance at some mature bucks.

I dont need honey holes or secret spots lol. Just a general idea of units, potential, and where to burn my points.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hey Mark, I burned 3 pts on 35 this year... I'd suggest against it. This tag could be drawn with 0 pts. There are a ton of people in there and I was extremely disappointed with the lack of young deer, saw plenty of does but very few bucks. Maybe all the young bucks were still up in the timber with the big boys, I'm not sure.

pm me if you would like to chat more.

Curran

Not sure if you have read the threads in Colorado from this year but the chance at mature bucks isn't going to be easy anywhere next year if this years results mean anything . For limited mobility unit 3 is probably a good idea.

I have not been reading the Colorado threads...I will start. I did see CPW restructured the seasons for 20-24 if that's what your referencing.

No, he's referring to the general decline in many of Colorado?s units. Most will say the weather has been too good over the past few years during the rut/migration hunts. There is a general consensus that the winter 12 ish years ago handicapped most of the western slope units and maybe the deer haven't been allowed to recover. Predation on fawns by bears and lions Aren?t helping the cause either.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

After reading through some threads I have an idea on how 2019 went for most hunters. With that being said, I will take my chances in 2020 on a 3rd season hunt. I'd rather hunt often than hold out for the right conditions and perfect unit. Also, I dont think my father will be able to hold out another year. He's already talking about not wanting to go this year...he's going though!

I will offer this opinion though. I work for the California Dept. Of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) and I hear nothing but complaints from hunters all season long on deer herds/hunting conditions/pressure/predation and so forth. I do not dispute any of it as having an impact on our wildlife. I ABSOLUTELY agree 100% there has been a steady decline in big game numbers and a steady rise in predators. However, when someone tells me there just aren't any bucks around anymore...I grin and think to myself about all the mature bucks I saw over the summer, while out on patrol, in the same areas there talking about. That being said, certain conditions (weather/pressure) and seasons favor the hunter. I have no problem finding mature bucks during the summer and archery seasons. However, come rifle season I dont see those bucks anymore. Doesn't mean the deer aren't there though. I cant help but imagine there may be some similarities in CO to what I see here in CA...probably favoring CO more on quality of your hunt.

Back to my original question. It seems that in favor of mobility issues with my father, unit 3 may be the best option. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks and please dont take my opinion as disrespectful to others opinions or observations. I was simply offering my opinion and observations for my own state.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom