Colorado unit 20 Elk hunting

oklahunter

I am a non resident with 10 points going into 2015. I was wondering about unit 20. I know there is a lot of private land and was wondering if there was one of the seasons that there might be more Elk on the public. I tried to do a search on unit 20 but came up with very little. It seems like no one ever mentions this unit. I guess it's because of all the private. If anyone can give any information I would appreciate it. You can Pm me if that would be better.

Phil

If yer gonna hunt it, hunt the latest season and pray for snow and cold. It's a tough unit but if u find a bull he's liable to b big. If u know the right landowner u could probabuy shoot 1 off their picnic table!

That # of pp is in no man's land. I don't think it takes that many for unit 20 and yer way short of the best units.

I have hunted 20 in the past and seen some good bulls in the late season...December and January. It seems like the hunting is better on the public ground that is available as it pushes them out the park and lower.

Thanks everyone for the information. It sounds like I might want to try one of the hunts in late season. My only question is January better or does it really make a big difference. Is it a lot colder in January than December as a general rule? Any other info would be much appreciated.

Odds are yes, more snow, cold in january. Just curious not judgein, ever hunted the unit?

No, I have never hunted the unit. I was just doing research on what units I could draw with the points I have and the success rates seemed pretty good. I never ever hear unit 20 talked about and was curious as to why. I really know very little about the unit. If you can tell me about the public land terrain, campsites, etc. I would appreciate it.

The more snow the better, the year I harvested a cow and so did a buddy, we had to get around in snow shoes.

I live in 20. If it were me I wouldn't waste that many pts on 20 unless you are willing to go guided and get access to private land. You may go several days without seeing elk on public land and it can be hit or miss depending on weather, snow, and hunting pressure. Take a look at the regs and you'll notice that the elk get pounded pretty hard from the Sept archery season through January. Most of them know the borders of the small parcels of public land.

You might check into Comanchee Wilderness Outfitters. They have access to some of the best private land in 20 and get nice bulls on a fairly regular basis.

With that said, there are nice bulls in 20. It may take a lot of time and luck to find them on public land!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom