Colorado Unit 38 Rifle Deer Advice Appreciated

S

SoleSearcher34

Hey guys I decided late in the game to hunt bucks in unit 38 here close to denver mainly to expose my now 10yr old to some rifle hunting experiences since he will be old enough to hunt in 2011. He has been archery elk hunting with me a few times but never out on a rifle hunt. I know the general layout of the unit but have never looked into it for deer before so I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. I don't have any expectations on finding a big buck but would love to have an opportunity at any legal buck so my boy can experience all the aspects of the hunt including field dressing and packing meat. We are not afraid of a good hike or steep ground which this unit appears to have plenty of. Any suggestions on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated!

What season will you be up there? We will be there fourth season and will be hunting that unit for the first time too. Have you heard anything about Golden Gate park? We were wondering if it takes some sort of special permit to hunt in there? We are also bringing in several youth that will be on their second hunt as they are all 13.

All you have to do is either have a state park pass or pick one up at the office. Also you have to let them know at the office what area you are hunting. That place gets lots of pressure. I hunted that area last year and ran into hunters everywhere I turned, and didnt see any deer. Good Luck

I thought you had to attend a meeting before the season and apply to a lottery to hunt the state park. Check their website.

Spoke with the folks at the state park and according to the this year all that is required is of course a state parks pass and then you have to sign in each morning prior to your hunt. They limit the amount of hunters to 35 per day on the park. Some steep rough country up there but have done a little scouting and there are some deer running around up there. We will be hunting 3rd season. Have not spent any time scouting the park yet.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-09 AT 01:49PM (MST)[p]I hunt 38 every year, not in the park though. I have closer areas to my house, though I know a lot of guys who have hunted in there. They usually do fairly decent as compared with the rest of the unit's public lands that get absolutely hammered with orange and ATV exhaust. As long as you get there early enough to get one of the 35 spots I would say it is your best bet if you haven't scouted anywhere else.

Check out the Ralston Creek Wildlife Area. It is a part of Golden Gate State Park on the eastern portion. Possibly less people if you don't mind hiking. Good luck!

Hey guys I decided late in the game to hunt bucks in unit 38 here close to denver mainly to expose my now 10yr old to some rifle hunting experiences since he will be old enough to hunt in 2011. He has been archery elk hunting with me a few times but never out on a rifle hunt. I know the general layout of the unit but have never looked into it for deer before so I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. I don't have any expectations on finding a big buck but would love to have an opportunity at any legal buck so my boy can experience all the aspects of the hunt including field dressing and packing meat. We are not afraid of a good hike or steep ground which this unit appears to have plenty of. Any suggestions on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated!
How did this go for you?

How did this end up for you and son? j

What season will you be up there? We will be there fourth season and will be hunting that unit for the first time too. Have you heard anything about Golden Gate park? We were wondering if it takes some sort of special permit to hunt in there? We are also bringing in several youth that will be on their second hunt as they are all 13.
How did it go?

I can understand wanting info on the unit, but your question was: “how did the hunt go”. I will be shocked if you get an answer to that. Some people don’t just do a search and don’t look at the date.

I can understand wanting info on the unit, but your question was: “how did the hunt go”. I will be shocked if you get an answer to that. Some people don’t just do a search and don’t look at the date.
I totally agree but curiosity got the best of me

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom