Colorado Unit 54 3rd Rifle Season

JakeSwensen

I just recently got an email notifying me that I was next on the reissue list for a 54 3rd season deer tag. It did burn my 10 points but I'm ready to go hunting during the rut. If you're willing to share any information or advice please send me a pm. Thank you.

I will be next door to you in 3rd also. Snow or not it will be cold anyway hunt starts Nov 11- the rut will be on. Leaving a month from today for scouting, it is just around the corner !! Rut was just starting at the end of 2nd last year. Get there a few days early and figure out where they are in transition, a week goes by fast,

Patience and covering a lot of ground is the key. The later into the season you can hold off the better. There are very few mature age class bucks left here in the Gunnison Basin. Majority of the age class is sub 4 years old at this point. It’s basically the same story every year; guys come out with all the best intentions of holding out for a mature deer and they end up throwing in the towel by day 3 or 4 and shoot a 3 year old 140 to 150in type deer and go home. The largest bucks killed the past couple years during the 3rd season in 54 have came in the last 2 days of season.

I was out there for 3rd season elk last year. I busted my tail for a legal 4x4. Day 1, I could've got a 180" buck but didn't have a tag. They were definitely rutting. Find the does and glass around them. Good chance a buck is laying up nearby and keeping his eyes on things.

I was able to purchase a landowner voucher this year and will be back out for 3rd season. I'm not going to get an elk tag, as the last thing I need to be doing is packing a bull out when the rut is going on.

I hunted hard and saw what I consider a lot of deer. I never saw a mature buck. I saw plenty of 150 and smaller 2, 3, and 4 point bucks. One of the 3 points had matching cheaters. Maybe the hunt could have been great but the hot 50 degree days made it tough. Little to no daylight rut activity. I'll be trying to get back to Colorado maybe in a unit that requires less points.

Patience and covering a lot of ground is the key. The later into the season you can hold off the better. There are very few mature age class bucks left here in the Gunnison Basin. Majority of the age class is sub 4 years old at this point. It’s basically the same story every year; guys come out with all the best intentions of holding out for a mature deer and they end up throwing in the towel by day 3 or 4 and shoot a 3 year old 140 to 150in type deer and go home. The largest bucks killed the past couple years during the 3rd season in 54 have came in the last 2 days of season.
I just left 67&66 mule deer hunt for 3rd rifle and coloradoboy is pretty much right on , we filled 2 out of 3 tags with 155" and 160" class bucks and never saw bigger

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom