Colorado Unit 55 3rd Season Mule deer

tstrain53

I drew Colorado Unit 55 3rd Season this year... I am a non-resident so looking for a few pointers or areas to try out and glass... Hunt starts November 1st-9th will be there the whole hunt... Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated...
Thanks

Wish I could help you. I hear there are some big boys in there. You should try to get over there and scout and look it all over, get to know roads, access points, and identify wintering areas. By the 3rd, they begin trickling in to meet up with does.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

I am a non-resident as well. I drew unit 55 2nd season. This is my first year hunting that unit so I am not much help. But after my hunt in October I could give you any info/tips on what I learned!

I Live For This

BBhunter6 that would be awesome I appreciate it do y'all plan on camper out there in the unit or hunting from town??? Should be a pretty good hunt i've heard lots of good information about the deer starting to rebound from the 07-08 winter kill so there should be some good mature 5-6 year old buck... We just got to go out there and find them... Good luck i'll try to pass along information for you if i get a hold of some people up there before October... Thanks for you help good luck and kill and Monster...

I'm just doing it solo, and I plan on camping out in the unit for the entire week. I hope the deer are on the rebound and there are a few good mature bucks:) Thanks man sounds good I'll keep you updated!

I Live For This

It took 10 points to draw i know quite a bit but should be a good hunt... I've read that and talked to a few people that said it rebounded since 2008 so i am hopeful that it did... How about you draw any good hunts this year???

Awesome it should be a great hunt kill a big 200 inch buck... Yeah it will be tough but a blast anytime your up in the mountains is great... Thanks i appreciate it...

I would go down by Parlin and then to north. The deer move down the taylor valley that late in the season. There wont be any up high near taylor res. Ive seen one doe up near the res that late in the season in 10 years

I hunt 55 just about every year for elk and deer when I get the tag. I hunt high in this unit and see deer every day. I wouldn't say they have rebounded. When I see a bunch of 180's running around I may change my mind. I am not near Taylor, so it may be different there. You may see less deer up high, but quality will go up. Glassing the highest Aspen and openings in the dark timber will be your best bet. When I do see a buck or Bucks they tend to be there one day and then again 2-3 days later. I hunted the fall after the Killer Blizzard and no one was seeing any deer or very many deer to speak of. Even some friends who live there. I saw 20+ does and 12 bucks and came home with a 168. Next day I had one come by around 180 and was kicking myself. The last few years I have yet to see one over 170. They could be there, but not very many. I know Toads still come out of the unit, but it is nowhere near what it was when you could pass up a 180 and not worry about not seeing another one. Best of luck to you in your search. Be patient and don't give up. There is a heck of a lot of ground up there.

LoneWati
I appreciate your information anything helps i will be staying in Almont and hunting up from there... I'd like to go up way ahead of time but all i can do right now is look and google earth and over maps... Im still looking for Taylor not sure where it is... I will try up high a couple of days and see what happends i will be there the full hunt so a couple days up high may be worth it... I've heard y'all have had a little bit of snow so they should help push some deer down in the next three weeks if yall get some more... I know that unit is no where near what it was before the 08 winter kill i just hope that it has rebounded some to have a chance of finding a 180" plus buck... Will hunt hard with glass and my boot leather... Thanks for everyones time post and information it will help...
Tyson

By third season the deer have moved down the valley towards Gunnison. I have been hunting elk near taylor for 20 years and have only seen a few deer that late in the season over all that time. Hunt up north of Parlin if you want deer. That is where we go, but didnt draw. You will have plenty of chances to shoot a nice buck.

It was a tough hunt not the best at all... Saw a bunch of does and small bucks... Saw lots of orange everywhere we went elk hunters.... Was a bad year not enough snow up north to push the deer down... Just saw a bunch of resident deer and some good bucks on private... Was not impressed at al... Definately wasn't worth using 10points on for this hunt... Thanks
Tyson

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom