Colorado Unit 55

H

huntersrwg

I drew Colorado Unit 55 2nd season tag based on a recommendation from a friend and based harvest stats. I have never hunted there before and as it turns out my friend who recommended this unit doesn't know as much as he led on. I am planning on a scouting trip in July to see what I can turn up. Based on my hunting preference I am thinking about backpacking in to the Fossil Wilderness area to avoid the masses of road hunters looking for elk. Is this a good idea? What kind of hunt can I expect, has anyone hunted it the last couple years in 2nd season? I want to make the scouting trip as productive as possible so any direction however general is appreciated. I love hunting the high country and can't wait to get out there!

2nd season is OTC for elk, so you'll have a lot of company. There should be an outfitter or 2 in Fossil Ridge. Ask the elk hunters you run into if they've seen deer. Be prepared for cold temps and winter weather.

I had a 2nd season deer tag in 55 last year. I backpacked in and had a great hunt. There were deer lower, but most of the bucks, and the one I killed were at about 11,000 ft. Just a little snow on my hunt though, so if you get much snow, I'm not sure if they'd still be up that high. But if I were you I'd hunt high and you'll find some good bucks.

I Live For This

I will be hunting deer. Thanks a ton for the great info guys I really appreciate it more than you know. I am ready to put in the work and this helps me at least get oriented properly. It is such a huge unit it is easy to feel overwhelmed. But I really can't wait to get down there and explore some amazing new country. The photos of this place are unreal. If I can get into some good mature bucks I will be very happy. If I can best what I have taken so far to date which is some 160-170s bucks I will be even happier. But overall I love the adventure and the challenge.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom