Colorado Unit 76 4th elk season

Johnm

I have 10 NR elk points and considering applying for unit 76 4th season. Is this a hunt that can be done DYI? Hoe is the 4th season quality?

With 10 points you are only going to have a chance to draw a hunt that will be tough. The other option is too wait decades for a better hunt. I hunted unit 76 3rd season, it was tough but I managed to get a decent bull. Its a good unit and beautiful. If you apply, plan on getting back in the country to have a chance. Good luck.

If there is a heavy snow early in 76 there are a lot of elk tracks headed to lower elevations than the public land. I have seen herds of elk bedded on Wason Ranch (down by the river), and I can remember a couple of years when most of the elk just left the unit.

I have also seen many cow hunters in the 4th., but they like to hunt the lower slopes close to the roads.

I've hunted it 1st rifle. I wouldn't be afraid to hunt it 2nd rifle. Nobody I know has hunted it 3rd. I'd be curious to know how it is in 3rd.

I like third season better than second in 76. The biggest bull that I have taken from 76 came in a third season hunt. You can not control the weather but the weather will be a very large factor in where the elk are in a unit like 76. Yes, it can be hunted DIY in third - if you are in shape for the terrain and altitude.
Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom