Colorado Units 53 and 54

bigsky2

Has anyone hunted units 53 or 54 in the last few years? I am debating doing a 3rd season hunt in one of these units this year. I would be guaranteed 54, but only a 42% chance of drawing 53. Are these units still producing nice bucks? Any other general info about hunting the units would be much appreciated. Feel free to PM me.

If you're a Non Res there has been substantial point creep the last couple of years. I wouldn't expect to catch 53 a this point for 3rd. It's jumped several points in the last couple of years.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I hunted 54 3rd season in 2017. It was decent but not spectacular. First time I had hunted it though, so I don't really have the perspective to say how it compared to the "glory days".

I haven't really had any luck getting much info. I could also draw a 3rd season tag in 22 or 30. I have 12 points and am all ears for recommendations on other units I could draw. Maybe I am overlooking some other good units. I am from MT and would be willing to trade info on deer or elk hunting in MT if anyone can give me some good info. Thanks

I hunted 53 back in 2014. I hunted muzzy and was a little surprised at how thick the cover and habitat was. There are very few clearings or opening in certain sections. I am use to a few clearings and meadows for hunting here in Utah. I hunted for 8 days and saw an average of 3 to 6 bucks a day. Not as many does and fawns as I would like to have seen. I am a rookie hunter though. Take it for what it is worth. There were some nice bucks around the 150 to 170 class range and I am sure bigger. The bigger bucks were more difficult to spot and re located again. I really had a fun hunt. Met a lot of nice people and hunters. I think 3 rd rifle with weather would bring out some dandy bucks. Just drove around in 54. Heard some good stories but I did not see any monsters in 54. I'm sure there are some roaming around though.

53 could be a good choice if you can draw. The last few years have been warm during third. Lots of country to consider in 53 from 6000? to 11,000. Deer will likely be scattered high and low if the weather continues like the previous few years. 53 doesn't have the winter mortality as much as the Gunnison does. 30 is very much different country than 53 and has a lot of diversity in the terrain. Cliffs to PJ to oak to thick timber at the top of the unit. Lots of decent access in 30 and could produce a great buck but you also could be going home with just memories. 22 has a lot of private land in good buck country, it also has great access along the border of 21. I think 22 could produce a giant with the amount of dark timber above 8,000 feet bordering private lands. 3rd season can be tough for a hunter not use to hunting deer on the move during pre rut and with migration patterns very different. A lot of migration habits are unit/herd specific ..... some herds are migrating by weather and others just because. 53 only has a few access points for vehicles, the rest of the unit is trailhead access. Deep country. Gorgeous country. Gods country.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

I helped my dad on 54 3rd in 2016 and had 54 2nd in 2017. Didn't see anything dead or alive over 180 in 2016, but it was warm. About the same on 2017, less deer, nothing huge. Biggest thing I noticed was lack of yearling bucks in 54 after winter kill of 2016-17. It was starting to get better till last winter, but still a long way from where it was in 2006, even before this last winter kill. There should be a few older age class bucks if you get weather on 3rd, but that pool will be getting smaller over the next few years. This is just my observations, big bucks are where you find them and Gunnison has the genes if it ever comes back, but last 10 years have been pretty lackluster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom