Colt 357 Python Value

I thought the Lawman and the Python were different models.

I only have a Python and a semi-auto Colt so I'm not an expert.

Zeke

#livelikezac

Sorry for the miss information, it isn't my gun,a friend at the gym has this gun.and that's the info. he gave me. I'm thinking it's a Python,and the Lawman part maybe not be correct. Any way he wants to sell it,and i told him i would try and find out what's it worth. Thanks..

Have your friend check GunsAmerica and Gun Broker web site to see what identical model and condition are selling for. The actual selling price will be a good indication of the gun's true value on the open market. Ignore most of the asking prices as they can be jacked up too high.

RELH

The biggest increase in value on these things are due to "The Walking Dead" because that's what Rick carried. When that show gets cancelled, values should drop in half ;-)

>Have your friend check GunsAmerica and
>Gun Broker web site to
>see what identical model and
>condition are selling for. The
>actual selling price will be
>a good indication of the
>gun's true value on the
>open market. Ignore most of
>the asking prices as they
>can be jacked up too
>high.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> RELH

^^^This is good info from RELH to have your gym buddy check out.

Deadibob's info is, well, not so much. Please let me know when they drop in half and I'll buy a couple more.

Zeke

#livelikezac

I took mine 6" nickel python to a shop for poops and giggles. He made a call and told me he did not want it since he would have to give me too much for it.

Considering that Colt is now back in the revolver business and are rumored to bring back the python, prices will drop. I've had four Pythons in the past and while they are a precision made revolver, they are not the revolver to go with if you are going to shoot 1,000 rounds a month or more.

> and while they
>are a precision made revolver,
>they are not the revolver
>to go with if you
>are going to shoot 1,000
>rounds a month or more.
>

On that, we agree!

Most Pythons are silky smooth but they're not the workhorse of the revolver world.

Zeke

#livelikezac

Even if Colt starts back to making the Python again, that does not mean the price on the older model Python will drop. One of the reasons Colt quit making the Python and the other "snake" revolvers was the cost that was required to make the precision hand fitted revolver. As a result the retail price was too high for most buyers.
If they make them again, they will use cost effective measures to lower the price of the new guns and that will help to keep the price up on the older models.
A good example of this is the pre 64 model 70 Winchester rifle. In 65 Winchester took short cuts to lower the price of manufacturing and the pre 64 models shot up in price to where they sold far higher used then what was paid new prior to 1964.

RELH

...and when winchester reintroduced the model 70 classic.....the price of pre 64 model 70?s fell considerably......

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-19 AT 07:38AM (MST)[p]One of the reasons that the price dropped on the pre-64 Winchesters was the fact that Winchester did not take any manufacturing short cuts on the new Winchester model 70 Classic. They built the original rifle and even put better barrels on them for superb accuracy from a factory rifle.
The pre-64 model 70 was known as the "rifleman's rifle" for it handling qualities and accuracy over other rifle brands.
I do not see Colt doing that if they re-introduce the Python as Colt has a history of taking cost reducing short cuts in the past after being purchased by a large corporation that allowed the bean counters to take over.
In the late 70's Colt began taking short cuts in their guns that led to many complaints about quality control.
I quit buying Colt 1911s in the early 80's due to Colt putting out a inferior product as compared to their earlier guns. My duty weapon for over 10 years was a Colt 1911 National Match pistol that was built in 1964 when Colt did a lot of hand fitting of parts for improved reliability and accuracy.
That National match pistol I used would put 8 rounds of hot +P duty ammo into a one hole group of 1-1/2 inches at 25 yards. Today to get that kind of accuracy will require a custom built pistol that will cost you $2,500.00 or higher from a good custom gunsmith.
RELH

859660004594.jpg

Beautiful gun. :)

Bluehair
Splitting my time time between the winter and summer range......
May you live long enough to cash in those preference points. Amen

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom