Commision Meeting.. Terk Talks..

J

jamaro

FINALLY,,, At the last Commission the NMWF put the Commission on the spot and ask them to review the Terk Decision.. Basically that is the rule that takes exotics out of the quota.. Well, it is on the agenda... SWEET.... We are making progress on this one.. There will also be an update on the fires and their impact on hunting.. Please attend if you can

--------------
New Mexico Department of Game and Fish

Media contact: Dan Williams, (505) 476-8004

Public contact: (505) 476-8000

[email protected]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, AUG. 16, 2012:

ANTELOPE HUNTING RULES, WILDFIRES ON GAME COMMISSION AGENDA

RIO RANCHO ? A proposal to change the way antelope hunting licenses are distributed in some parts of the state, and a discussion of wildfire impacts on wildlife and upcoming hunting seasons are among agenda items for the State Game Commission?s meeting Thursday, Aug. 23, in Rio Rancho.

Proposed changes to the Pronghorn Antelope Rule stem from ongoing efforts by the Department of Game and Fish to simplify regulations for hunters and private landowners. The proposal would establish hunt dates, areas and management strategies similar to the way the Department manages deer hunting. It would affect mostly areas of southeastern New Mexico. Public-land licenses would be issued through the annual drawing. Private-land licenses would be sold over-the-counter, and hunters would deal with landowners for access to private land.

The meeting will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 23, in the council chambers of Rio Rancho City Hall, 3200 Civic Center Circle NE, in Rio Rancho. Detailed agenda-item briefings and other information are available on the Department of Game and Fish website, www.wildlife.state.nm.us, or by calling (505) 476-8008. Details of proposed rules and opportunities to comment are available on the website.

Other agenda items include:

An update on the impact of recent wildfires on wildlife and habitat and how upcoming hunting seasons may be affected.
A proposed amendment to the Hunter Education Rule that would permit young hunters to participate in a program that would allow youths to hunt with an adult mentor and still meet the requirements of the state?s Hunter Training Act.
A presentation about the Terk court decision and its impact on license quotas for bighorn sheep, ibex and oryx.
An update about a proposal to gain public access into an area between White Sands Missile Range and the Carrizozo Lava Flow (Malpais) west of Carrizozo and south of U.S. Highway 380.
An update on the 2011 harvest and depredation statistics for black bears and cougars.
A recommendation to expand ibex hunting opportunities to address an expanding ibex population.

State Game Commission meetings are broadcast live over the Internet and can be accessed from Gov. Susana Martinez?s website, http://www.governor.state.nm.us/Webcast.aspx. Information about how to view the streaming video is available on the website.

The State Game Commission is composed of seven members who represent the state?s diverse interests in wildlife-associated recreation and conservation. Members are appointed by the governor and confirmed by the state Senate. Current members are Chairman Jim McClintic, Vice-chairman Thomas ?#####? Salopek, Tom Arvas, Bill Montoya, Scott Bidegain, Paul M. Kienzle and Robert Espinoza Sr.

If you are an individual with a disability who is in need of a reader, amplifier, qualified sign language interpreter, or any other form of auxiliary aid or service to attend or participate in the meeting, please contact Sonya Quintana, (505) 476-8030. Public documents, including the agenda and minutes, can be provided in various accessible forms.

I'm all for exotics being out of the quota, hard as hell to draw a tag regardless, for what non-residents pay for any of those tags, its probably in the states best interest to keep it the way it is. Just make em all OIL and keep the random draw, I say.

Nice to see they are talking about fixing the antelope hunting situation.

Great to see expanded IBEX hunting opportunities.

BTW we have seen very little details about the Antelope situation... We need to stay on top of it..

If you think that 15 of 16 sheep tags is good for NM Residents then I see your point.. BUT it is just wrong..

J-

This is 2nd hand info but...
The Department just said at the Commission meeting that it would petition the Court to overturn the Terk injunction

GOOD DEAL...

Dumb question here, but...

How are bighorn sheep included in exotics, but Barbary sheep aren't?

I don't understand this at all. I just know that Ibex, bighorn sheep, and oryx have no non-resident quotas. Barbary sheep does have a non-resident quota.?

The term exotic has changed over the years... Animals that are not part of the quota are...
Bighorn Sheep
Ibex
Oryx

J-

I would like to see a nr quota cap placed on bighorn, ibex and oryx. They are taking all our opportunity.

couldn't make the meeting today though I wanted to, maybe someone can give us an update. Hopefully they were able to put the crack pipe down long enough to discuss some business. Sounds like the sheep draw fiasco is bringing some heat about the quotas, glad to hear it. Anybody else hear about them trapping 30 sheep off of wheeler and sending them on a suicide mission to BELEN? WTF?

I went to the meeting. The Dept announced that they will (finally) petition the court to remove the Terk injunction and will do so "in the next few months". My understanding is the petition is somewhat a one shot deal. If they lose, Terk is very permanent. I talked to the Dept's general counsel and pleaded with him to get the petition in as soon as possible to improve the chance that a decision could be made before next year's drawing.

Sheep are not exotics. Exotics are non-native (Barbary, Oryx, Ibex). Exotic is defined as being from "another part of the world"

Ibex---
They want to bring the population down before they start expanding off the Floridas and are proposing a nanny hunt, with OTC tags that would get shut down when a quota is reached. Like how they do bear hunts.

J-

What did they have to say regarding the fires? Is the forest service going to open more areas?

As far as the gila it will be open minus several roads and trails.. but it will all be open..
The Lincoln.. More info today...

J-

Let me first say I am speaking for myself and nobody else... The Antelope deal is very fuzzy... They basically want to have unlimited tags on PRIVATE DEEDED land... LO will not get any tags for leased land. and not grant public draw hunters access to the PRIVATE LAND.. If you want to hunt that ranch you have to negotiate for access... This is for the SE first. They will have draw hunts for the public land like usual and it will include rifle, muzzleloader and bow hunts...
My issues:
1) The Dept manages on a buck to doe ratio... If these LO go in and kill a bunch of bucks then the ratio in the Units will out of whack and the Dept will be forced to decrease the amount of Buck tags in those units for the draw..

2)There will be no coordinated management of the antelope. So much for the Depts claim to manage on science not political pressure.

3) They want to test it for one year, as we all know the ranchers in the SE have always been complaining about the antelope but this one year will give them enough time to knock the heck out of the heard.

4)If they shut a unit down due to drought these LO can still have unlimited tags.

I want to say that I support the Dept but there are just too many unknowns with this proposal. My feeling is that the Dept just doesn't want to deal with the complaints that they are getting from LO. They are just trying anything...

J-

>Let me first say I am
>speaking for myself and nobody
>else... The Antelope deal is
>very fuzzy... They basically
>want to have unlimited tags
>on PRIVATE DEEDED land... LO
>will not get any tags
>for leased land. and
>not grant public draw hunters
>access to the PRIVATE LAND..
> If you want to
>hunt that ranch you have
>to negotiate for access...
>This is for the SE
>first. They will have
>draw hunts for the public
>land like usual and it
>will include rifle, muzzleloader and
>bow hunts...
>My issues:
>1) The Dept manages on a
>buck to doe ratio... If
>these LO go in and
>kill a bunch of bucks
>then the ratio in the
>Units will out of whack
>and the Dept will be
>forced to decrease the amount
>of Buck tags in those
>units for the draw..
>
>2)There will be no coordinated management
>of the antelope. So much
>for the Depts claim to
>manage on science not political
>pressure.
>
>3) They want to test it
>for one year, as we
>all know the ranchers in
>the SE have always been
>complaining about the antelope but
>this one year will give
>them enough time to knock
>the heck out of the
>heard.
>
>4)If they shut a unit down
>due to drought these LO
>can still have unlimited tags.
>
>
>I want to say that I
>support the Dept but there
>are just too many unknowns
>with this proposal. My
>feeling is that the Dept
>just doesn't want to deal
>with the complaints that they
>are getting from LO.
>They are just trying anything...
>
>
>J-

unlimited LO tags in the SE. That sounds scary to me. Speaking for unit 29 that land is so checkerboarded and not posted, you know what would happen.

Paul - I agree, my MAIN concern is that it decreases hunter opportunity because they kill all the bucks but the dept is managing on the buck to doe ratio...

rockn - Maybe next meeting they will vote on it, but I am not sure if it is going to fly with LO because.... A lot of LO get tags for just enrolling in the APLUS program AND they get tags based on LEASED land... this will not happen under this program...

J-

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom