Connected

predator

Very Active Member
Not sure where or when it began, just as I'm equally unsure where this pavement leads; my thoughts wander with the curve of painted asphalt. I drive on, playing with my wandering mood like a new ball of clay; new shapes around each bend, new ideas on each straightaway, destroyed by tne next switchback. Restlessly grumbling at each familiar trailhead, each favorite canyon, I yearn for the taste of spring rain upon aspen leaves from trees whose trunks point accusingly at the thunderheads, the rich aroma of pine and soil and wildflowers. My feet literally ache to feel the new green grass underneath as I pause once or twice and ponder a new ridge route or streambed crossing. Desperately seeking solace from concrete and steel, I strain nervously to catch a whisper of wind or a babbling brook here and there, but the connection is lost between the metal doors of the truck.

Desperately seeking renewal and failing miserably, I turn home after 300 miles, leaving what I love behind. Unable to even think about walking down that trail or around that tree, I seek solace in strong drink and good books...........and feel so empty.

Poignant and thought provoking. Sounds like your walk in the rain last week left you thirsting for more. Prose on, fair young maid, and enthrall us some more. :)

Gate Gopher is walking with 50# pack to get ready for the Dall hunt. I just sent final payment on Africa, so am down to milk money and no lunches for a while. I'm gonna work on those 2 "big" steps up into the Land Cruiser, so I don't cramp up! :)

Sounds like you need barley pop allowance. Are you sure your backside can handle the intense workout it's gonna get in the L.C.?

Gate Gopher doesn't even WEIGH 50 pounds, let alone pack 50 pounds, fer cryin' out loud!

You do have a point there. Have to fatten him up some. Can you imagine him stuck in a tent for 2 weeks on the Brooks? Drive up for breakfast and we'll stick an omlette in you too.

The LC ride doesn't frighten me nearly as much as the thought of those tenderloin medallions of kudu and gemsbok, and the weight I'll gain over 3 weeks. They did tell me they would put me with Johan; he's the youngest and longest walker. Email from there yesterday had Gary killing a 60" kudu, 41" gemsbok, 25" hartebeest, leopard, and a 33" waterbuck (new #9 SCI). Am going crazy with the waiting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom