Coolest bull you've seen?

BillyLif27

What's the coolest bull you guys have ever seen/photographed? I'm not a big elk guy but this was a big Rocky I took pictures of a few weeks ago.
phonto.jpeg
phonto.jpeg
phonto.jpeg
phonto.jpeg

I only had my IPhone and the bull was about 75 yards away so the picture was worthless. I was in New Mexico for a Unit 15 late season muzzleloader. I had a solid 300 class bull with a left side drop antler. Normal 6 point on right but the left antler, perfect formed 6, grew straight down. When he looked at us his left antler almost touched the ground. I wish I could have gotten a good picture. It was really cool looking. So just a story and no picture. Sorry

The bull in your pictures is awesome.

We also had 340 class black bull in Colorado 201. We had seen him 400-500 yards off and initially thought he was just covered in mud. Nope, we saw him two more times. Once was 30-40 yards away. He was a black elk. Super cool to see up close. We researched and found out it was melanistic elk. Super unique.

Not nearly the biggest or best I've ever seen, but the encounter was my favorite all time. I had noticed antler movement, and I was trying to sneak on what I thought was a huge muley buck! Early morn, and right at sun-up- and this was the only shot I got. (NV Area 231)

Parsnip Bull(3).JPG

I have a ton of pictures of him from 2020. Definitely looks like he’s going down hill now.
Seems like I have saw pictures dating back to 2019 with him. If I had any idea where he hid out at I would have chased him in '21. He was chewing on a bone/vertebrae just the other day when I got this years pics.

Seems like I have saw pictures dating back to 2019 with him. If I had any idea where he hid out at I would have chased him in '21. He was chewing on a bone/vertebrae just the other day when I got this years pics.
If we could’ve found him, my cousin would’ve hunted him in 2020. It’s kind of funny how for as visible as he is all summer, he just disappears come season.

Those nontypical pics are really cool! There must be some pretty cool genetics available in several Utah units. Once those bulls get some age they sure have some cool extras!

I think a lot of us would agree that the "Spider bull" was one of the most amazing "free-ranging" nontypicals ever harvested. A lot of us probably still question his legitimacy?

What's pretty amazing....and questionable to me is what ever happened to the genetics of the "Spider bull"? I'm certain a lot of us ask where the heck did he come from? Spider must have been pretty old. If he roaming those hills for a bunch of years he must have spread his genetics? Are there other bulls on Monroe and units in the vicinity of where he lived with similar antler confirmation? Why didn't anyone lay eyes on him or have any photos in years prior to being shot? If anyone has Spider bull photos on Monroe or anywhere else from earlier years be sure to post them!

I don't mean to hijack this post but there haven't been any posts for a while so thought I'd spark some more interest. I'm sure a lot of us wouldn't include farm raised elk, whitetails, and mule deer as "cool"? They may have outrageous racks but are they considered cool? I'm sure those that raise and breed them believe they are super special.

With that said, it's great to see that there are still some really cool, special bulls roaming the hills!

Last edited:
I love hunting elk, but I rarely have a tag, so I don't take many pictures or see near as many bulls as many of you. The most unique (and cool in that respect) bull I ever saw was also a piebald. He was almost white and I was amazed my son picked him up in his spotting scope because he was in a snowy aspen patch. He was only a rag horn and he was limping so I don't know if he survived the long winter, but he was cool to see.
The most impressive cool bull I've seen was a giant straight six that I jumped out of a secluded patch of pines during the deer hunt. Obviously no pictures but a cool bull nonetheless.

This was 2001 time frame but is was an albino 4x4 250 to 270 range. My father did the stalk with my stepmom and heard the shot and then some cheers saying his down as I see the albino running off. He ended up shooting a 383 bull that had been bedded.

I dont have pics of either, but a couple of years ago there was about a 320" piebald bull on the Manti that was awesome. But my favorite was an old warrior on the Pahvant. All of his brow tines were broken off, and half of one of his swords. He also had a tip of a antler lodged into his forehead. Just an old warrior, would have loved to of had an tag to have taken that bull. I wouldnt have cared what he scored at all.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom