correct me if im wrong

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
Doug Redrabbit and i spent last weekend at he range and my 55+ year old .270 waaaaaay out shot my 30-06 which is my baby and i have 1,500 into. i know my 30-06 and i know what it can do but it just wasnt doing what it can at the range(even after we fixed the scope) i would like to carry my .270 because it was my grandfathers rifle, and my dad killed his last dear with it. if i do carry the .270 i would feel like a moron because i just this year, flopped down more than $500 on a brand new leupold and i would feel stupid leaving it in the truck.the thing is, the .270 proved it self at the range, but i know that the .30-06 will perform in the field and i know the ballastics. the thing that is weird to me about the .270 is on saturday towards the end of the day the scope was shooting dead on, 3" high at 100 yards and sunday, it was hitting the bullseye at 100. the average fps for the bullets i am shooting for the 270 is 2837 and the average for the 30-06 is 2928(federal high energy) but i also shot some hand loads through the 30-06 125 grainers were chroing at 3300 fps. so my question that i have been thinkin about since then is : should i carry the rifle that i have invested in huge amounts of MY cash, or should i carry the .270???? sorry for rambling but i am frustrated and confused. i know doug says i should carry the .270 but i am still not sure ??~?!@!~?@~!@? please help!!!!
thanks in advance
Casey

Investments are great...but I'd stick with the one you're most comfortable with. The ballistics aren't far enough apart to make you lean toward one or another in that respect. Go with what feels good to ya. There's an old saying my Dad uses once in awhile... "beware the man with only one gun...cuz he knows how to use it."

Casey

Totally agree on the comfort selection. Your subconscious mind is so powerful. In reality it makes the 270more powerrfull than my 300 mag. (not really but you get the idea) So if you are comfortable with that 270 its an extension of you and like a laser. Take it, shoot it, and send us pictures.

Anywhich way the point about the 270/280/06 all being so close anyway is very valid. Close enough to where there is very little, if any practical difference. Especially on deer. Elk, I preferr larger and heavier if I can choose though. But confidence and bullet placement is paramount!

Jeff

i forgot to add, WHEN i carry this gun this season, and WHEN i kill a deer with it, i will be the third generation of hunter to kil with that rifle.my late grandfather,my dad, and my self
Casey

Go with the .270 this year, and spend more time in the off season getting the '06 ready to roll. Your statement about not being able to get the '06 to shoot at the range, under controlled conditions, but having faith that it will be dead on in the field under questionable conditions is suspect.
HB

went back to the range today, spent only about a hour there, but got 2 different loads to shoot under 3/4" and now the 270 was bouncing around a little bit more so it makes it even worse for me!!! the 30-06 shot like it should and the 270 shot like shart!
Casey

Casey

I'm reading between the lines, but if the 270 shot better one trip and the 06 better the next , it may not be whether either rifle is better or worse.

The differences simply may be your shooting. What we call in matches, the loose nut behind the butt. Don't take that wrong or as an insult though.

I keep one rifle handy thats proven half inch shooter. When I doubt whats going on, I drag out that rifle. If I can shoot a half inch with it, then I'm ok and the other rifle/ammo has problems. If i can't shoot the half inch its either the way I'm shooting that day or the external conditions.

FWIW if it won't shoot off the bench it won't get any better in the field. Field accuracy is always worse. The only exception is boattail VLD type bullets. Sometimes they won't be totally settled in at 100-300 yards and then go to sleep the rest of the way. Such that they sorta get better the further out you go.

Jeff

Casey,

Please do not be insulted by this, but I am wondering if your barrels are fowled?
Perhaps the thing to do is clean your barrels. I use Shooters Choice for powder fowling, and Sweets 7.62 for copper fowling.

At the end of "day one" you said the 270 was 3" high, the following day it was dead on - or 0" high. Sounds like the barrel of the 270 warmed up on you the first day. To me, for a hunting rifle, this is no biggie. You just need to figure out where the cold barrel first shot is going to go and adjust accordingly. It is not uncommon for "older rifles" to need the bedding adjusted over the years.

Just my 2 bits, Don
Everett, WA

FWIW Dons choice of cleaning solutions is excellent.

And I don't know if the following is true or not because I believed it and followed advice.

They told us in competitive shooting to use SC to get the fouling out. And Sweets to get the copper out(Barnes seems even stronger and I have a some new stuff in a stainless bottle thats been great and quick too) Anyway don't mix the 2 solutions or it can ruin your barrel. IE use SC first and make sure when you are done to dry patch the heck out of the tube before going to sweets. Some even said run a patch or two with alcohol in between but I never did that.

Like I said I'm relaying what they always said. The 2 mixed supposedly create some type of reaction that will erode a barrel.....

PS if you have a really filthy barrel and carbon buildup you may well have to use something like JB paste. I use it after about every 200 rounds in match rifles and after 50 rounds in mags.

FWIW, Jeff

Sorry to be diverging from the original topic.

Jeff is correct regarding the interaction of the two cleaning solutions. It is vital that you dry patch your barrel until you are convinced one solution has been removed from you barrel(s).

I have read on the benchrest forum that some barrel manufactures oppose the use of Sweets 7.62 in their barrels. Some do not care, while others will void their warranty on the barrel. Shilen has an excellent Q&A article in the FAQ section of their web site, including a good read on breaking in barrels.

My cousin has a MS in chemistry, he said you can accomplish the same if you mixed ammonia and hydrogen peroxide 50 - 50. It will liberate copper from steel barrels in the liquid form of copper sulfate - which is what 7.62 does.

My view is that Sweets 7.62 works as advertised. I recommend you stick with Sweets. Just be cautious when you use it.

Let us know what you find, as we could be leading you in pursuit of undomesticated waterfowl (aka wild goose chase).

Regards, Don

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom