Cougar encounter this morning......

MuleyMinor

So I decided that I would take the day off and do a little hunting before the storm got rolling. I started hiking at about 5:45 am well around 6:30 (still dark) I catch out of the corner of my eye some light and it looks like another guy with a head lamp on coming down the trail Im hiking up, so i'm thinking damn this guy left early.

Well as soon as the light clears the thick cedars I see two HUGE eyes (30-40 yards). At this point I know its a lion. I step into a cedar tree and knock an arrow and move my single pin to 15 yards while shi@@ing my pants at the exact same time. I watch him for about 30 more seconds and he is weaving around the cedars in a crouch position coming right at me. I start walking backwards slowly down the trail till I cant see him anymore. Arrow knocked I book it back to my truck looking back every couple steps. What a scary morning. Funny thing is he came straight down wind into me? I guess I should not have eaten that steak bundle wrap from maverick? LOL

How many of you archers carry side arms for this exact reason??

I always carry a pistol while bow hunting, for that exact reason. I don't like to get hunted, while hunting!

copple2

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-11 AT 08:28AM (MST)[p]It is illegal to carry a pistol with you during a bow hunt or even have one in you car or camp here in Utah . If you have a CCW permit you can have it in your car or camp but not have it with you while hunting. I just went threw a CCW class last week with my son and there was a state wildlife guy in the class and that is how they explaned it in the class. I dont aggree and your story is one of the reason. It has happened to me a couple of times . While out hunting you shouldn't feel like you are the hunted while hunting. Another fear is if you walk into a grow opertion with a bow and no way to deffend yourself !! I think the state needs to look at this .

I say if you are in an area thick with cats or bears, carry a sidearm for your protection.

YOU'RE FAT!! DON'T TRY AND SUGAR COAT IT OR YOU WILL EAT THAT TOO!!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-11 AT 09:21AM (MST)[p] I don't mean to disagree but BIGJOHNT is incorrect about the firearms during archery seasons...

Utah Big Game Field Regualtions 2011, page 28 reads:

"You may not possess or be in control of a rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader while in the field during an archery hunt. This restriction does not apply to the following people: Individuals who are licensed to carry a concealed weapon in accordance with Utah Code 53-5-7 (You may not use your concealed firearm to hunt or take protected wildlife)"

Anyone with a CCW permit can carry any legal weapon so long as it is concealed as defined by Utah Code 53-5-7. I always have my .45 tucked at the small of my back while bow hunting... Though predators are a possible threat, I'm more worried about stumbling across a pot farm.

Just because a guy is teaching a CCW class, it unfortunately does not guarantee he is qualified. My case in point:

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-11 AT 09:24AM (MST)[p]You CAN carry a pistol in Idaho. I know someone who had a physical encounter with a moose, while hunting deer. After multiple warning shots and (his) broken bones, he shot the moose (only wounding it) with his 9 MM.

He reported the incident and F&G made an issue of it.

They went back to the "scene", did all that CSI stuff and determined it was self-defense. They ticketed him for possession of a firearm during archery season.

The court ruled in his favor, because he had a concealed-carry permit. (Makes one believe in SSS.)

(He received a broken arm, broken bow and broken ribs.)

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Nor is there any guarantee the F&G man does not have an agenda.

When I am archery hunting, Smith and Wesson is always with me. Not only is it good defense against critters, but it also is a good signal if you get injured. Gunshots during archery season draw attention quite well. You also never know what kind of weirdo is up in the woods. Colorado allows you to carry a pistol, so I carry one.

Morning gb22,
Here in Idaho it is legal to carry a pistol with or without a carry permit. I don't understand the court getting to even rule on the case? How could the F&G even sight him for carrying when it's legal? Plus the guy had a carry permit.Just wondering. Am I missing something?
gary

Are these pot farmers that big of a deal and that numerous where you feel for your life while hunting or being out in the mountains? I'd be more wary of a badger blind siding me than some dope farmer or stumbling on some dopers plant stash.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

"You may not possess or be in control of a rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader while in the field during an archery hunt."

My PISTOL does not fall into this list. Read it cause im pretty sure it doesnt say PISTOL!

hornkiller.jpg

Well every hunting season in utah some hunters discover a 400 - 500 planting of pot in a Utah canyon. No one has been hurt yet, but it will happen eventually. Those crops are worth ALOT of money!!

I agree hornkiller... pistols for everyone... in plain sight... Just wish it was more clear on that...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I was just saying what was told at the class according to the wildlife employe that was there. I have CCW and general always have a pistol with me. But I have not carried it while bow hunting. If it was with me on a bow hunt and concealed it would not be taken out incase of a emergencey. I would never carry it in the open. In Idaho I have on a bear hunt,but here in Utah I am not clear on the subject ? I dont think alot of the fish cops are ether.
I know a friends dad that was hunting with us and got hasselled by a fish cop for carring a side arm in view with out a deer permit. But since he had a CCW he got off without a ticket. We were told you cannot carry a firearm in a hunting area with out a tag unless you have a CCW.
I think that is just another reason why you should have a CCW. And yes I fear more for my life from being shot by a pot grower protecting his stash then from a wild animal. In most cases a wild animal is prodictable.

how could you have seen a kitty cat.? just ask all the kitty cat hunters on here. hell they drive millions of miles spend tousands ofdollars . and they cant find #####.... you must of seen a big foot..... had you been drinking. are you on drugs?..

I think the only thing you're missing is that the F&G folk had an attitude problem.

The court ruled because he plead not guilty and had "his day in court".

Not saying there are not any just tired of every ##### ass deer hunter crying about bamboo and claiming to have been stalked by every 2 year old curious cat they run into.

One day when I grow up I only hope and inspire to have the balls that timothymarks has to be cool and calm to recognize that 2 year old curious cat that walks down your trail at 30 yards and all you can see is his eyes in your head lamp.... Stupid me I should have known it was only a curious two year old. Thanks tim I will chalk this up to inexperience!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-11 AT 06:34AM (MST)[p]I have to laugh at some of you guys who are supposed to be so "outdoors intelligent".

If a lion is SERIOUSLY stalking you, all the guns you could carry, ain't gonna do you a bit of good. You will never see or hear it coming.

Most people couldn't hit a running/charging cat anyway, assuming you could actually drop your bow, untangle your release and draw a handgun ....all before a cat was on your neck. Silly to even contemplate.

There are encounters, without doubt, but once a cat is aware that you are human, and once you have actually made eye contact, it will leave you alone.

Please provide evidence of mountain lions attacking hunters. Millions of man hours in the field every year and how many lion vs hunter incidents?
Maybe the occasional hiker or bicyclist, but even that is rare.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

My Cougar encounters usually happen between 12 and 2am... Sometimes I wish they would happen earlier in the day so I could get a better look at them first before allowing them to attack..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Dang BIGJOHNT, I don't think you stated one fact in your above post. I suggest you read for yourself what the law is or that ccw permit will either a. get you in trouble or b. won't be used to it's full potential.

Elkoholic.gif

>nickman. california ring any bells for
>you.
............???????...........

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

Elkun is worried!
He knows the Lions have almost decimated the Deer Herd & now They're gonna work his Elk herd over.
I'd agree with nicky,a healthy Lion would hit you before you knew what was happening,I always like the 'Stalked by a Lion' stories.

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

Hey nickman,
I dont plan to shoot a cougar while it's charging. I agree that you most likely wouldn't see it coming. I could shoot one off me though. It's pretty easy to hit something when you could press your gun against it.
I know if I ever have an encounter with one I'd sure rather have a gun than test your joke of an eye contact theory.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-11 AT 07:07PM (MST)[p]I have only seen 2 lions while out hunting, but both encounters were quite different.

1st. time was while hunting jackrabbits in the winter with a pistol. The cat and I were hunting the same rabbit and right after I flushed that jack the cat went into motion and all I saw was his tail as he rounded some brush...the sighting lasted about 1/8th of a second. I never knew he was near by before that flash of tail.

2nd. time I was in Arizona bow hunting Coues and I noticed some slight movement across a small wash, and when I put my glasses on it I could see the entire cat looking back at me. He was about 100yds away and seemingly licking his chops. As long as I wasn't moving, he was still, too...except for a tail twitch. Then when I would get up and walk so would he...when I would stop and sit, so would he. This encounter lasted for about 45 minutes, when I lost track of him at sunset.

If a guy wants to carry a pistol and that makes him feel safer, cool with me. I usually don't pack a pistol unless I am hunting with it. Really, I am more worried about freaky people than I am of a cat or any other lower 48 animal.

>Hey nickman,
>I dont plan to shoot a
>cougar while it's charging. I
>agree that you most likely
>wouldn't see it coming. I
>could shoot one off me
>though. It's pretty easy to
>hit something when you could
>press your gun against it.
>
>I know if I ever have
>an encounter with one I'd
>sure rather have a gun
>than test your joke of
>an eye contact theory.

...............Silly me, I hadn't taken into consideration all your Ninja skills.

Pulling your gun and pressing it against a 150# cat, that has 4, 2" teeth biting down on your neck and a dozen or so claws tearing at you repeatedly, should be no problem for you whatsoever.

Forgive me for doubting your training.

I have been hunting my whole life and never seen a lion!!! I have been hiking and seen a lion track cross mine and for me that is scary enough. I know the area I hunt has lions. Im am 6'4'' and 210 and very little scares me, but that did. I consider myself a hardcore hunter like many of you do, but till your in the situation I was in.... It's hard to say what you would do? I know that if that cougar would have wanted to get me I would not be writing this right now.

Here is a news flash to most hunters, not every lion observed in the wild is on the attack. In fact, of the tens of thousands of cougar/human encounters anually, the number cougar actually on the offensive can be counted with one hand.....and even those numbers are suspect.

Pardon the sexist statement, but sometimes you guys act like little girls.

So what you are saying is you are OK with breaking the statistical average and getting possibly killed by a cougar while bow hunting/being in the field unarmed -more power to you.

I prefer to not take chances, no matter how minute the possibility is.

Packing a hand gun is pretty cheap insurance if you ask me. What could it hurt? It might save your life and it might not, but it for sure won't if it's at home.

I was backpacking in the wilderness and met a group of hippies on the trail years ago. One of them asked my "Why are you carrying THAT?", as he looked down his nose at me. I told him it was to kill anything that needed killing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Eel

Lets go to the video here Nickman. Here is a clip of how a cougars attacks. This deer lasts about 35 seconds. All I would need is about 3. Pretend that the deer's front legs are your arms. If it were me in the postition of this deer, that cougar would be dead.

By the way, I have a better chance of reaching my gun than you do trying to make eye contact with it.

Nice answer Eel

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-11 AT 11:57AM (MST)[p]I just had my son take and pass hunter education course here in Utah. It was nice for me to sit in with him as it was a refresher for me. I am a CCW holder and I knew the law had changed last year about being able to conceal while hunting. I asked the DWR officer who joined one of the class days if I could legally conceal a pistol while hunting? His reply was that I CAN conceal AND openly carry a pistol while hunting as long as I don't use that pistol to kill an animal to fill my tag. For me, I conceal my pistol while in the mountains. Whether I'm hiking,scouting and/or hunting. I've seen tracks while hunting and seen a mountain lion near my hunting camp before and yes it did make me feel alittle safer having my pistol with me. For this is only one of many reasons why I conceal in the field. Between the critters, pot growers, crazy people, with help being far away, these are the reasons why I pack a pistol. It may not save my life but it will at least give me a better chance to live. As for all you archery hunters, I would suggest carrying a side arm while in the field for it too might give you a better chance to live rather than depend on your bow.

what elk herd .you know thier is only 3 elk left on anthro. and two. indians and a cwmu money boy is fighting over them...mr kitty would starve to death if he has to eat elk.....on anthro...

Thank you I was waiting for some one to make the point that you could cary openly or concealed with a permit. Atleast thats how I've always understood it.

>what elk herd .you know thier
>is only 3 elk left
>on anthro. and two. indians
>and a cwmu money boy
>is fighting over them...mr kitty
>would starve to death if
>he has to eat elk.....on
>anthro...

elkun,
Did the Lions Dwindle the Elk herd down or was it something else?

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

show them to me. no. your lions have little to do with anthro elk....the dwr. cwmus. and you know who did that...... 20 years work go' down the drain. 150.000 dollars. ground. clear cuts. water devlopement. now they want to make it open bull.no mr kitty is not to blame for the elk on anthro...........

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom