Cougar Harvest Numbers??

rancher05

Utah use to have a cougar harvest report in their website. It now shows it does not exist.

Does anyone know if there is a website in Utah showing the harvest numbers per unit??

With the legislative rule that there is no longer a reason for the DWR to track those numbers. Would still be interesting to see though.

So?

If The 2300 Number Is Right?

Which Nobody Knows Thar Exact Number!

Why Didn't Numbers Go Down When Everybody & Their Dogs Were Gonna Slaughter Them When They Opened Season Up Un-Limited?

And When I Mention Dogs I'm Not Talkin HOUND-DAWGERS!

This Is An Estimate!

But If What Said Was True?

Every Approx 6.25 Square Miles In This State Lives A Lion!

It Must Be GOSPEL!

Our Local Lion That Killed A Doe In My Field Last Summer Walked Past Where We Live Here A Few Days Back In The Middle Of The Night!

These Lion Numbers Are As About As Accurate As The Deer Numbers Boasted In This State!

So?

If The 2300 Number Is Right?

Which Nobody Knows Thar Exact Number!

Why Didn't Numbers Go Down When Everybody & Their Dogs Were Gonna Slaughter Them When They Opened Season Up Un-Limited?

And When I Mention Dogs I'm Not Talkin HOUND-DAWGERS!

This Is An Estimate!

But If What Said Was True?

Every Approx 6.25 Square Miles In This State Lives A Lion!

It Must Be GOSPEL!

Our Local Lion That Killed A Doe In My Field Last Summer Walked Past Where We Live Here A Few Days Back In The Middle Of The Night!

These Lion Numbers Are As About As Accurate As The Deer Numbers Boasted In This State!
Like it or not, the HOUND-DAWGERS are the only group that consistently kills lions. They are the first to B!tch when someone kills a lion without dogs amd says there are no lions left. If lion numbers decrease ot them to blame.

Screenshot 2024-01-21 172116.png

Last edited:
Like it or not, the HOUND-DAWGERS are the only group that consistently kills lions. They are the first to B!tch when someone kills a lion without dogs amd says there are no lions left. If lion numbers decrease ot them to blame.

View attachment 135059
I thought alpha was all about the “only trophies” mentality? I’ve seen house cats bigger than some of those.

What’s funny is he’s the first to be critical of someone shooting a female or sub adult animal… until it’s one of his clients. Then apparently anything goes 😳

I stopped by the DWR office in Springville last week and the gal working there said she has checked a lot of cats the last couple of weeks. I think she said in one week she had 20 come through. This surprised me, the only way that may cats are getting killed is those hunting with dogs!

No Different Than Any Other Type Of Hunt!

They'll Kill Anything With Spots & On Up From There!

I thought alpha was all about the “only trophies” mentality? I’ve seen house cats bigger than some of those.

What’s funny is he’s the first to be critical of someone shooting a female or sub adult animal… until it’s one of his clients. Then apparently anything goes 😳

I would love to see a report on the method lions are killed in utah. I'll bet it's still upwards or 95% hound hunting. Yet houndsmen are all pissed that you could trap, or stalk kill them. The law change needed to happen. Houndsmen had a monopoly on hunting lions in Utah. They all pretended to be biologists and shouted from the rooftops that mtn lions were going extinct, when the opposite was happening. Now they secretly all run and kill more lions than they ever dreamed of, all while getting paid by clients. They'll blame declines on trapping and other sorts. Honestly i don't think we will see a big decline for a while, if ever.

Last edited:
It Isn't Any Different Than Any other Type Of Hunting!!

The TRUE BLUE HOUNDSMEN Would Never Put Their-selves Out Of A Job Or Hobby!

But Once Again They Are Out-Numbered By The Other Types!

Alot Of The OTHER TYPES Are The LOOK AT ME Crowd!

I'll Sure Be Glad When They Open Big Game Hunts Up Un-Limited & Year Around!

I would love to see a report on the method lions are killed in utah. I'll bet it's still upwards or 95% hound hunting. Yet houndsmen are all pissed that you could trap, or stalk kill them. The law change needed to happen. Houndsmen had a monopoly on hunting lions in Utah. They all pretended to be biologists and shouted from the rooftops that mtn lions were going extinct, when the opposite was happening. Now they secretly all run and kill more lions than they ever dreamed of, all while getting paid by clients. They'll blame declines on trapping and other sorts. Honestly i don't think we will see a big decline for a while, if ever.

It will be cyclic. Lions will get killed in spades, numbers will drop. People will still be out to save the deer, and get tired of breaking axles and repairing traps and feeding hounds and being cold. Wives will get pissed about all the time away from family for an unworthy cause of saving deer. People will stay home, stuff will get sold. Hounds will end up at the pound and lions will rebound. Then the cycle will upswing and a new generation of deer savers will enter adulthood, only to realize the mountain man lifestyle just doesn't work in this society.

Good luck Utah.

We have a 24/7/365 lion season here in NV. People always whining about lions killing deer. But very few actually put any effort into lion hunting themselves. They just expect the houndsman to kill them all.

It will be cyclic. Lions will get killed in spades, numbers will drop. People will still be out to save the deer, and get tired of breaking axles and repairing traps and feeding hounds and being cold. Wives will get pissed about all the time away from family for an unworthy cause of saving deer. People will stay home, stuff will get sold. Hounds will end up at the pound and lions will rebound. Then the cycle will upswing and a new generation of deer savers will enter adulthood, only to realize the mountain man lifestyle just doesn't work in this society.

Good luck Utah.

We have a 24/7/365 lion season here in NV. People always whining about lions killing deer. But very few actually put any effort into lion hunting themselves. They just expect the houndsman to kill them all.
That Be True!

Remember when They Opened The Lion Hunting Up Here In DRATville?

Every Deer Hunter That Claimed They Seen Several Lions A Year While Hunting Big Game Just Can't Seem To Pile Them Up Like They Claimed They Could!

Yes!

There Will Be A Few Killed Without Dogs!

I'm Waiting For The Day They Open Big Game Season Up Year Around In This State!

That Should Fix Everything As Well!

And I Guess You Don't Remember When Every Hunter In The State Of Any Kind Were Gonna Wipe Em All Out Quickly When They Put An Open Season On Them?

This is hilarious. I actually remember people (myself included) saying the exact opposite. That the legislative rule removing the need to obtain a cougar permit would not increase the amount of lions killed all that much. That the only increase you'd see is trapping.

Yet bessy has created in that wild @$$ crazy brain of his that people thought lions would be slaughtered? The exact opposite, actually! The only people claiming that were the lion lovers trying to spread fear tactics, full well knowing they were not being honest. Lions are not going to be killed in mass numbers outside of trapping without dogs. Period. That is what everyone knows, and everyone has said, regardless of what senile old cat lovers try to spew these days.

Good luck Utah.

Maybe but I doubt it. Utah is a special breed. We're always looking for an excuse to hunt something. Doesn't Nevada make you check a box it you DON'T want a lion tag? I haven't applied there for a few years so I can't remember. Aren't Utahns coming into NV and messing things up? I know a few guys that hunt coyotes there every year they have a deer tag. The only thing that will cause a cycle pattern would be the loss of food. Also depends on area of the state. Areas further from hunter populations would be an issue.

@DBL

Yes you can buy a tag when applying for deer, or just buy your tags, or only if successful in the draw. Basically they were just trying to make it easier for people to get a lion tag because of the pressure from the predator fee and certain people wanting get every lion dead. Bottom line is it hasn't changed the overall harvest much at all, lions still eat deer, deer hunters still hate lions and few people actually kill a lion.

I can't say if Utahns are messing it up here. I'm far enough from the border I don't see it.

Should be some drift over from CO, now. 😂

I've Always Laughed At How Many Deer Hunters Claimed They've Seen Numerous Lions While Hunting Deer & Elk!

But Now You Can Shoot All You See I Don't See Thousands Of Them Getting Shot During Big Game Hunts!

Yes!

There Will Be Some Shot But Not That Many!

Nillers Wetting Himself Again Thinking The Deer Herd Will Flourish Now!

WRONG!

When You Get It Through Your THICK F'N Head That There Are 50+ Reasons Why We'll Talk About It!

Until Then Keep Blaming One Or Two Items!

And See How That Pans Out For You!

This is hilarious. I actually remember people (myself included) saying the exact opposite. That the legislative rule removing the need to obtain a cougar permit would not increase the amount of lions killed all that much. That the only increase you'd see is trapping.

Yet bessy has created in that wild @$$ crazy brain of his that people thought lions would be slaughtered? The exact opposite, actually! The only people claiming that were the lion lovers trying to spread fear tactics, full well knowing they were not being honest. Lions are not going to be killed in mass numbers outside of trapping without dogs. Period. That is what everyone knows, and everyone has said, regardless of what senile old cat lovers try to spew these days.

I've Always Laughed At How Many Deer Hunters Claimed They've Seen Numerous Lions While Hunting Deer & Elk!

But Now You Can Shoot All You See I Don't See Thousands Of Them Getting Shot During Big Game Hunts!

Yes!

There Will Be Some Shot But Not That Many!

Nillers Wetting Himself Again Thinking The Deer Herd Will Flourish Now!

WRONG!

When You Get It Through Your THICK F'N Head That There Are 50+ Reasons Why We'll Talk About It!

Until Then Keep Blaming One Or Two Items!

And See How That Pans Out For You!
I have seen piles of lions over the years. First one I saw was in 2003. Last one I saw was 2019. I hope I run across another one soon! This one came in when I was hunting elk over a spring in 2015. Only one I’ve ever had come in to water while I was sitting it
IMG_4837.png

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom