Could GPS Collars be a Problem?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
I spent the day yesterday with the biologist up in Wyoming. The first thing we did was go look at a deer that had been collared that died.

The collar had already been removed, but upon looking at the deer I noticed that all the hair and skin on the back of the deers neck had been rubbed off by the collar. See the photo and you can see the long wound.

My question was, could something like that become infected and possibly cause a deer in rough shape already because of a difficult winter, to die.?????

What do you all think?

IMG_3024.jpeg

IMG_3024.jpeg

While you can always "what if" any situation, I would say the deer in question doesn't show any sign of infection. Not sure I can see any way the GPS collar helped the deer, but it is pretty clear from the carcass the deer had bigger problems.
Bill

Certainly, every deer that dies with a collar on is investigated and would have pictures. I would hope that if they all have that type of rubbed area that the monitoring agency would be doing something to make the collar more user friendly. I would assume that the deer in the picture had the rub because it was starving and the spine was sticking up with no meat and fat around it to cushion the bone.
Honestly, If the Wildlife board is going to throw out the valuable information these collars provide, they should just scrap the program and put the money towards lunches and new suits for the WB.

Wait, you mean you were on a sanctioned scouting trip for the Shed Hunt on Monday.?? ?

Also, I'd say there is some risk of detriment to animals that are collared. I'm guessing they take it into account when developing their research study.

It would be very interesting to see more collared deer that died this year and see what their necks look like.

Collared deer and their mortality rate are being used this year to form opinions on winterkill, so when I see the damage this collar did, it has me wondering.

If when these deer lose a lot of weigh the collars can begin creating open wounds that at best are going to weaken the deer even more and quite likely become infected and actually cause death, are the collars a useful tool to be using to determine mortality?

It would be very interesting to see more collared deer that died this year and see what their necks look like.

Collared deer and their mortality rate are being used this year to form opinions on winterkill, so when I see the damage this collar did, it has me wondering.

If when these deer lose a lot of weigh the collars can begin creating open wounds that at best are going to weaken the deer even more and quite likely become infected and actually cause death, are the collars a useful tool to be using to determine mortality?
Did you ask the biologist these questions?

They get good information off the collars, but an open wound when weak on the winter range would kill her

Awfully odd question. Seems like a waste of time and money study? How old was this deer? Agree with others that a collar is so 1980s : how about a chip ?
AI can already tell you where they go anyway !

When was the collar placed on the deer? If it was a fawn or yearling it likely was a bit tight when older. There probably are a few collar options available that won't create near as much damage. It's hard to say but there could have been something that got stuck between the collar and deer's neck that created the wound. You never know wear on the back of neck with loss of weight could be an option? There are lots of different scenarios.

I really don't think it has that much bearing on survival. Most animals I've seen collared mainly have their hair under the collar worn. The collar itself acts like insulation in the place of the hair. That almost looks as though maybe the collar got hooked on a fence or something and the deer struggled to pull it free to me....

Several years back while guiding there was a cow elk that had a toilet seat stuck around her neck. We promptly named her $h!Thead. She had that thing around her neck for 5 years, and we would see her every fall. The only thing that did her in was a bullet from a hunter on the late winter range...other than that she was fine, she also survived a tougher than normal winter during that timeframe, can't imagine a collar would be worse than a toilet seat...

It seems like this day and age they could just put a chip in the ear or something. Or anywhere just under the hide really.

In 2023 would I be wrong in assuming an ear tag could be used?

My dog wears a collar year round and it doesn't look like that.

@Founder trying to get in on som gps data in Wyoming. Always hustling ?
Ear tags fall out of cattle and they are slow lazy animals, they do ear tag some deer and elk as well but those are to collect less useful data. I have a hound that constantly has skin issues under her collar, it will wear raw spots on her and her hair comes off. We've dealt with it for years and the vet says she just has sensitive skin and there's not much we can do, we just remove it when it flares up and try to keep it on when shes outside. Anyway, I'm sure all animals are the same, I've glassed up dozens of collared elk and deer and have never noticed any sores on them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom