Couple Barbary down

NMPaul

Wife and Son knocked down a couple rams over the weekend. We were allowed to hunt some private land this last weekend and we made the most of it. Felt good since as a family we ate our last 5 tags in a row.

Here we are with Zachs ram
2012BarbaryKimandZach008.jpg

Both together with their rams and the Mountains in the background
2012BarbaryKimandZach009.jpg

2012BarbaryKimandZach001.jpg

2012BarbaryKimandZach005.jpg

Nice! We pounded all of the public that I know of in that area and saw some sheep, mainly smaller rams and ewes, but the private was loaded up with them. Congrats to the family, sheep are so much fun to hunt, I can watch them for hours, goofy little suckers.

Congrats! I definately put the miles on and the time behind my 15X swaros but didnt turn up a single sheep this weekend. Hopefully this weekend will be different! Again congrats to you guys!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-12 AT 02:52PM (MST)[p]Right on, good to see that the dry spell is broken and y'all are back to true form

Cheers!

Congrats guys! Both beautiful looking Rams! I'm still trying to get my first one and would be super excited with either one of those!

Travis

Congrats guys. Nicely done!! Pretty sheep.

I was out and about and felt like I was deer hunting in Unit 34. I swear all 600 hunters were out hunting and at least half were in a spot that used to be "secret" ha ha. People, ATV's and trucks everywhere. Oh well, still fun to be out. Congrats again on the some pretty Rams!

Great job guys , awsome looking sheep great fun I bet . well two down one to go . best of luck too yah paul hope you get a whooper of a sheep . congrats to your son and wife once again .

LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-12 AT 08:15AM (MST)[p]Great job Paul and friends! Always makes it worth while when you take home what your going after!

I'm planning on putting in for the "Sheep Draw" this year, and I am a NEWBIE in the aoudad hunting department, too. Do you, or anyone, have some suggestions as to what units and any special tips, other than being prepared to walk a bunch?

I've hunted elk in Unit 34, and it does tend to get very, very crowded in that unit! I just wonder if the GW's check for license very much there?

Thanks for the comments guys. Jdickey, in regards to 34, they just dump a ton of tags in that unit.

Got a minute to tell the story.

We had a basketball game Sat morning so we left from there for the 3 hour drive to meet Jeremy at the Ranch. Stopped in Roswell first and hit the Chinese buffet. Very bad idea. We got to the Ranch at about 3:30pm and met up with Jeremy. He jumped in our truck so that he could show us around the ranch. 20 minutes into driving around Jeremy spots a Ram, ewe and juvenile.
It is really rare to see a sheep from the comfort of a vehicle and unheard of to actually have a tag in your pocket when it happens. Caught off guard, Zach piled out and set up just as the sheep were cresting the hill. We were about 5 seconds to late, but, Zach took a shot he regretted any how. The bullet hit the dirt on the top of the hill, but, the sheep was not hit. We took off up the hill and though we saw them 2 more times going over hills we never caught up with them.
We hurried to see a little more of the ranch before dark. Saw some deer and some real nice country.
We got to stay in the old well kept up ranch house that night and stayed up and visited awhile.
Next morning the plan was to be on the road home by 11:00am because we all had Super bowl plans. We hit the highest spot on the ranch and did some glassing seeing some deer. Then we ran over to where we had seen the sheep the night before and Jeremy dropped us off and the plan was to hike a couple miles and get picked up after we covered some good canyons that were roadless. That would get us to about 11:00.

We headed off, saw some more deer but no sheep. Bout, the time we were at our rendezvous point, Jeremy radioed us and told us that glassing from his spot he saw some sheep heading towards us.
We finally got our coordinates figured out and headed North to the area he saw them headed. We saw them crest a ridge and we got ready and came around from the high side. Once on the same ridge we crept in and sure enough spotted a ram looking right at us. Got the bog pod in standing position and Zach laid the 300 rum on it and dropped him in his tracks. Bullet entered lower neck and was recovered half way through the back strap. Zach has now killed a ibex, bull elk and a barbary with the new gun and I have killed nothing.
We worked our way over there and saw the other 2 rams a ridge over and Zach's ram on the ground about the same time. Kim put the 300 win mag on the bog pod and Zach and I decided that the 2nd ram was larger. We tried to stop him with whistles 2 different times before Kim got him in her sights at 300 yards. At this point I thought she was also using the 300 rum and not the 300 win mag so I told her to hold straight on. She shot , I heard the thump, and I saw his front leg go sloppy. They crested the hill and when I heard she used the win mag I was afraid she had hit him real low or just hit his leg.

We got Jeremy on the radio and told him what was up and Kim and I went to go look for blood. After searching for a good while found the blood (lots of it) and then found him.
Kim's was 24" and Zach's 23" on their long side. I learned from Jeremy that there is always a short side that they use to dig up plants and roots. I had always thought the rooting was javelina since they share the same type of country. But, we saw lots of rooting on the ranch and there are no javelina there.
Now we had made everyone late for their superbowl plans. We quartered out the sheep with skin on, got backstraps and neck meat, rushed some pics, and packed it all out, and I think we all made it by kickoff.

This is about as good as any hunt could go let alone a barbary sheep hunt which normally entails days behind glass just to see one. Thanks again Jeremy.

Dang Paul, you and your family sure have a way of making me envious. Two nice rams in less than five(?) miles and a day of hunting. Where's the justice? ;-)

As always, good to see when you guys connect.

>Dang Paul, you and your family
>sure have a way of
>making me envious. Two
>nice rams in less than
>five(?) miles and a day
>of hunting. Where's the
>justice? ;-)
>
>As always, good to see when
>you guys connect.

Go figure. Less than 5 miles is about right. They were like gifts. Hope we have not used up all our luck for 2012.

Very nice! Good way for them to end the C-family drought.You still have a tag to fill Paul? Good Luck and Good Hunting!!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom