couple of ponder type questions

D

Dodger

1. At what distance do you sight your rifle in at? I sight mine in at 200 yards.

2. What's your opinion on rutting activity? I've read that deer rut based on the amount of light during the day (photoperiodism, I think I spelled it right), and that temperature has nothing to do with the rut. The article said that the deer will just chase the does at night when temps are cooler.

Just wondering what everyone had to say since I'm just waiting for archery deer to start since I didn't get one in November.
Matt

I sight mine for dead on at 300. Not that it helped me (I missed this Nov.) but I want it dead on at 300 and I show a drop of right at 22" at 500.

As to rut, you are right, it is the lessening of daylight. If we in AZ had to wait for cold weather to spur the rut on, some deer and elk would never rut. LOL.... Allen Taylor......

I sight my gun in 1" at 100 yards and hold hair on the 1st shot.

I don't prentend to know what brings the heat cycle on for the does but I have seen breeding activity into February. I think most of our peak activity takes place in late January. That is when I've seen the most chasing/breeding activity.

Ed, www.swhounds.com

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-02 AT 02:57PM (MST)[p]Dodger,

1. Right now, my gun is about 3" high at 100 yards, or dead on at 300. The bullet hits it highest path around 150 yards, at +4.15". At 400 yards it hits only 9" low. I like this setup, but as Edhunter stated in my posting "Long Range Shooting", many shots are taken at less than 300 yards. I might adjust prior to next season and sight in at about 250 dead on.

2. I have seen rutting activity from December-February, but I think Randy Weaver said it in another post, and I have seen the same thing, the highest activity seems to take place around the first week in January.

Darren

I think it depends on the rifle you use, I hunt coues with a 7mm STW, sighted in a 3" over at 100 yards, I hold dead nuts on everything out to 400+ yards , have had great success, killed coues at 70 yards to 300 yards, got a antelope at 350 yards, this system wooks good for me, however I also reload my own and spend plenty of time out just plinking across canyons and trying to judging the ranges,

Dont really know what spurs the rut activity, but like the rest of the group I have seen moderate to good activity from the middle of Dec thru late january....Blade

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom