Cow Callin

• Thread starter coloradobowhunter
  • Start date
C

coloradobowhunter

When and how much do you cow call if they are screamin and talkin? When and how much cow callin if they are not making much noise? Just wonderin. Thanks

I cow call quite a bit. I am an aggresive elk caller i like to try and make things happen. If bulls are rutting and chasing cows they will often not leave there harem to go check you out. But if you can get inside his 80-100 yard comfort zone and give him some estrus cow sounds he may come check you out. If you know that the elk can't see you don't be afraid to make a little noise break some branches.
If they are quiet that doesn't mean that they won't come check you out. Often if they are quiet i will set longer in one spot calling often a bull will sneak in without a peep. I do this during the heat of the day. I will get in an area that i know the elk bed down for the day and make some elk sounds. I have more luck with this than you would think. Everytime though the elk would come in very quiet and silent. If you have a buddy it helps a bunch he can drop back a bit and call and sound like an elk moving around and it will draw the attention and curiosity of the bull. Good luck! Hope this helps!
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

Something else I've found very effective when they're talking is grabbing a big branch and rubbing it hard up and down a nearby tree. If they're already riled up that can really get them going and they'll sometimes step outside the herd to check out the bull scraping the tree.

one thing to add to excellent advice, if they are bedded down they talk a lot without moving around so be patient, I also will use a calf call to get the females up and searching for me and that will sometimes get the bull moving to keep track of his cow's,also, I use a combination of three different cow calls to sound like a small herd looking for companionship

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom