cow hunt

My daughter has one also, but, we only have one day to hunt it because my wife has a ranch only bull tag that starts the day after.

Seth,

Merry christmas to you and your family and everyone else on MM and best of luck on the hunt tomorrow. I will also be heading out with my brother for the youth hunt. What unit you going to be hitting up?

Merry christmas to you and your family also. Hope all is well and the new year brings some good luck to you. We are hunting in 34 this week and then I will be headed back to 34 next Friday for the deer hunt. Hope to find my first buck, deer are my elenor. Best of luck to you and your brother and on your deer hunt also.

We had a very successful hunt in most aspects. My cousin headed out Sunday morning and found a herd of cows right away and learned all about buck fever. We then spent the rest of the day riding around on the four wheeler trails and logging roads.

I suggested an area that I knew where the elk would bed down during the day and off we took. When we arrived there was a dead cow at the bottom of the hill that was very poorly butchered. This cow was 30 yards from the road. We decided to go up to the bedding area anyway and check it out. When we got to the top found a bunch of turkeys. One tom was strutting around like it was April and trying to breed the hens. They would have nothing to do with him though. Very weird to see on Dec 26th.

Got back down to the 4wheeler and my cousin said that he lost his wallet. This put a twist in my plans because the trail we had just come down was 6 miles long and not the way I wanted to go back to camp. So we headed back up the trail and got about 1 mile up when I spotted a cow on the side of the hill. My cousin took off up the road slowly and got down in the kneeling position and was taking a very long time. I was getting very anxious because the only cow I could see was headed back up the hill. Well come to find out there were about 25 cows and a very nice bull that I couldnt see. He let a round loose and the cow went up the hill about 50 yards and then slid back down to the bottom on the snow.

She was now only 20 yards from the 4 wheeler and the fun began. We got her skinned and quartered and stacked on the 4 wheeler just as it got dark. Now it was time to make the long trip back to camp. We made it back to find that camp had been packed up and moved out. His brother got sick so they headed down the mountain. We loaded the 4 wheeler into my truck and strapped the meat down as best as possible and made a safe trip home. Never did find the wallet. They went back up and looked today hope they found it.

8558dec_20100002.jpg

Congrats to your cousin! Hope all the youth hunters get a chance at one this week. My boy shot a nice cow at 7:10 AM sunday morning, fast hunt but exciting. Not his first elk but the first one he had to pack out, he handled it really well and I'm proud of him, glad the state gave us another chance to get the young guys/gals out.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom