Cows on the forest

That article says the main reasons to keep grazing on public lands is that (1) ranching is iconic and (2) if ranchers cant graze on public land theyll go belly up sell out and their land will become condos.

Did i miss something?

Ever tried feeding a bowl of goldfish for a buck thirty five a month?

That's the federal grazing rate for a cow/calf pair or 5 sheep.

Go look at what private and state leases get for an AUM.
And with that response mta’s dream of a welfare he wasn’t getting quickly went away. #theranchlife

That article says the main reasons to keep grazing on public lands is that (1) ranching is iconic and (2) if ranchers cant graze on public land theyll go belly up sell out and their land will become condos.

Did i miss something?
Great summary. Horrible article…

Go back to doing chores for the ranchers (on your knees) so you can hunt their private land.

I’ll stick to public
Please do would hate to see ya on private land see men riding horses. I bet you run one of those Side by Side making trails all over BLM and FS that why you use SS as your handle.

Please do would hate to see ya on private land see men riding horses. I bet you run one of those Side by Side making trails all over BLM and FS that why you use SS as your handle.
How drunk are you right now? Put the phone down till morning. Trust me, she’s not going to want to talk on the phone at 1 am.

Ranchers are a sick bunch. They like rodeos which basically is watching animal cruelty in person. Let’s force this animal to be uncomfortable so we can watch it run in circles. Let’s chase them down and rope them. Let’s grab that steer by the horns and throw it on the ground.

Nope.
You went for the trifecta. Stay in Alaska

Ever tried feeding a bowl of goldfish for a buck thirty five a month?

That's the federal grazing rate for a cow/calf pair or 5 sheep.

Go look at what private and state leases get for an AUM.
I understand you think that is cheap, and it is to a point. On the other hand, it is way more money than anybodu elses pays to "use" the land. I cant speak for everybody but, every year we spend quite a bit of money developing springs, cleaning dirt tanks, repairing pipelines that feed water tanks. we leave the water running in them and leave the windmills going all year. All of this work isnt just for the cattle.

Not every rancher using public land is a "lazy" slug, just like not every hunter is a whiney crybaby.

I understand you think that is cheap, and it is to a point. On the other hand, it is way more money than anybodu elses pays to "use" the land. I cant speak for everybody but, every year we spend quite a bit of money developing springs, cleaning dirt tanks, repairing pipelines that feed water tanks. we leave the water running in them and leave the windmills going all year. All of this work isnt just for the cattle.

Not every rancher using public land is a "lazy" slug, just like not every hunter is a whiney crybaby.
I pay a **** load in taxes every year to "use" my public land.

Im willing to bet you wouldnt spend any money or time developing springs, cleaning dirt tanks and repairing pipelines that feed water tanks if it wasnt financially profitable for you.

Furthermore id also bet that the real reason you try to leave your windmills going on public land year round is that it is cheaper to leave them than rebuild them every year.

Whiney cry baby? Ive found in this world when a man resorts to name calling he is really subconsciously describing himself.

No one said every rancher is lazy. In fact if you actually read the thread you will see agreement that most ranchers are hard workers. You’re fighting your own thoughts.

You forgot to mention ranchers like to fence everything, which kills tons of deer, elk and antelope every year. Their cows destroy natural streams, creeks etc. the cows rub on trucks on trailheads focking up paint jobs, they overgraze even on drought years, they do roundups during hunting season pushing animals around (like the story of that 200” buck). The list goes on and on…

But but but they put in water sources in some places. Wow. That’s it?

I just had to pay 9 dollars per day to park my truck at a trailhead. That’s more than a stinking cow for a month.

Shoot every cow you see on public land for conservation. If we do it for a 100 years people will say “well we’ve always done that so it’s ok”.

I won’t even shoot a coyote anymore. The thought of how worked up stupid ranchers get over coyotes puts a smile on my face. Stillborn lamb? Coyote got it. Sheep dies cuz there’s a million ways they died but a coyote fed on it? That damn coyote!

I’m not a rancher btw, I work for a living

That last one was for you ?

It is cheap! If you don't think it is there is something wrong with you???

As for way more than anyone else pays, really? I would say your cattle pact is way, WAY more than anyone else's impact on that land and that's not even mentioning the profit difference in your cattle to what other's profit for their use is.

As mentioned more than once in this thread, you nor most any other rancher would be paying for any water or other projects and improvements if it didn't benefit your livestock and bottom line.

If you support public grazing at least be honest to why (profit/money). I believe the folks here who oppose it will readily admit why they oppose it. Both sides are being selfish for sure but only those opposed are being honest about it.

It's funny how good at trolling for triggerfish SS is...highly successful. Way over his limit by now.

It was mentioned earlier that there many, many other things that have caused much more damage to wildlife numbers and I couldn't agree more when looking at historical damage.

However, when looking at it from a perspective of things that can be changed now and have an impact, it ranks right up there.

You can't undo the damage that human encroachment and development has done to winter habitat but you can limit future damage, which includes that of livestock.

Sure is getting WINDY up in Alaska heard it going to be BIG ONE.
SS must be telling his windy tall tale's about being a cow shooter and Sheep lover.

It was mentioned earlier that there many, many other things that have caused much more damage to wildlife numbers and I couldn't agree more when looking at historical damage.

However, when looking at it from a perspective of things that can be changed now and have an impact, it ranks right up there.

You can't undo the damage that human encroachment and development has done to winter habitat but you can limit future damage, which includes that of livestock.
Well said. At one time there was plenty of room for all but times have changed!

Sure is getting WINDY up in Alaska heard it going to be BIG ONE.
SS must be telling his windy tall tale's about being a cow shooter and Sheep lover.
Man you got me with that one. You’re like a rat turd, sharp on both ends!

The Yellowstone Farm Offering is located in Custer County less than nine miles northeast of Miles City, an eastern Montana town steeped in old west history that was once one of the main horse trading and livestock centers of the country. This offering is comprised of 6,764.1 m/l deeded acres and 406.0 m/l acres under a transferable BLM lease for a total of 7,170.1 acres m/l. The farmed portion of the property consists of 3,290 acres m/l currently tilled with 2,700 m/l of those under irrigation. The ranch portion of the property consists of 3,881 acres m/l of grass lands suitable for summer and winter pasture. Approximately 85% of the farm has fencing in place enabling grazing at various times of the year.

The Yellowstone Farm Offering is located in Custer County less than nine miles northeast of Miles City, an eastern Montana town steeped in old west history that was once one of the main horse trading and livestock centers of the country. This offering is comprised of 6,764.1 m/l deeded acres and 406.0 m/l acres under a transferable BLM lease for a total of 7,170.1 acres m/l. The farmed portion of the property consists of 3,290 acres m/l currently tilled with 2,700 m/l of those under irrigation. The ranch portion of the property consists of 3,881 acres m/l of grass lands suitable for summer and winter pasture. Approximately 85% of the farm has fencing in place enabling grazing at various times of the year.
Cool story bro!

Man that one really hurt my feeling. At least I'm a small $hit
You are Just so full of Sh!t Your eyes are brown. See that how you really hurt someone feeling,

Man that one really hurt my feeling. At least I'm a small $hit
You are Just so full of Sh!t Your eyes are brown. See that how you really hurt someone feeling,
I’m not sure what you’re saying here but I’m fairly confident you’ve mixed your pills with alcohol. ????

So who says that running cows on the forest is good for the ground.
I'm in the livestock industry, but don't run cattle in the hills. I understand you point some what where cattle over use one area. I will tell you something you should think long and hard about. There are people in our government and a few organizations out there that would love to end hunting and livestock production everywhere. The hunting groups and the livestock industry are both trying to fight these back. Just look how wolves are being used against both right now. Look at what the Sierra club has done especially here in California their at war with the hunting. Livestock, and the logging industry. They would love to bring all three to an end here. In many places livestock can help with fire prevention. Before you crisis the livestock industry look at all sides of the problem.

I'm in the livestock industry, but don't run cattle in the hills. I understand you point some what where cattle over use one area. I will tell you something you should think long and hard about. There are people in our government and a few organizations out there that would love to end hunting and livestock production everywhere. The hunting groups and the livestock industry are both trying to fight these back. Just look how wolves are being used against both right now. Look at what the Sierra club has done especially here in California their at war with the hunting. Livestock, and the logging industry. They would love to bring all three to an end here. In many places livestock can help with fire prevention. Before you crisis the livestock industry look at all sides of the problem.
Very true. However I believe in order for these groups to work together they need to fight TOGETHER.

In other words, it seem that while ranchers or timber companies may want hunters to help them beat back these groups by supporting their use of public land, you have to ask yourself how much are ranchers and timber industry groups supporting hunters and hunting.

Everybody, hunters, ranchers, loggers all need to protect what we have and stick together. You hunters need to stop villainizing others who use our public lands and stick together. Trust me, there will be a time when hunters will have to fight to protect the right to hunt on public land and if you continue to make enemy's you'll fight alone.

Everybody, hunters, ranchers, loggers all need to protect what we have and stick together. You hunters need to stop villainizing others who use our public lands and stick together. Trust me, there will be a time when hunters will have to fight to protect the right to hunt on public land and if you continue to make enemy's you'll fight alone.
Show me a hunter who likes other hunters let alone a rancher...

Almost across the board ranchers will start a conversation with a hunter assuming he's an azzhole...then its ALWAYS up to the hunter to bend over backwards to prove otherwise. So don't act like it's the hunters who are the sole problem.

It's just like the Kali NR or TX NR thing. It's assumed that person is a certain way until proven otherwise. Just human nature. Not blaming anyone.

I agree that infighting is what will kill public access for those acquiring resources, hunters, fishermen, loggers, ranchers, miners, trappers etc..

But, that doesn't mean each group shouldn't police the ranks or those of the other groups with a discriminating eye. Each of these groups has good reason to be skeptical of the other, we've all seen reasons for it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom