coyote lingo question

blazingsaddle

First I am a horrible coyote hunter, but in some progress I have made this year I have come across a question of what to do next?

In many of my last stands I will call, wether it be a distress call, a howl, or what ever i do, I have had packs yip howl back at me or at times just a single dog howl. Some times they are close, other times they are a long ways out. Some times I will howl back and they respond by continuing to howl, but they never come in. What does this mean? What am i doing wrong? Are they laughing at me? Am I just not being patient enough?

If your using a distress of any kind and they are barking and howling at you they know your a fake. Sometimes they see you other times the area may have been called alot and the dogs there are savvy too that and now associate that sound with humans after being educated a few times its hard to get em in. Try a different spot and let the area your hunting rest a while probably till next fall. not sayin its impossible but if there barking at you they usually have you made.

Most of the time if it's short barks followed by a short howl and it goes on for a little while it is a 'warning bark' which means they either saw you or know something isn't right. Sometimes I've had luck throwing a 'challenge howl' back at them or trying to sneak as close as possible with out being seen and then start calling. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It could also be that you are on a different coyotes territory and they don't want to come in for fear of encountering the other coyote.

For more tips and help you should check out this site...
www.predatormastersforums.com
Great bunch of guys with a wealth of knowledge.

let me say again- I am horrible at coyote hunting!
Thanks guys, I will have to put in more effort in being undetected and setting up my stand. I know the one area I hunt is close and gets hit hard, but the other spot I'm not sure how hard it gets hit.
Either way, it seems to be the same old story for me and coyote hunting, if I don't jump it from driving the roads, it lives to be killed from another persons gun.
Thanks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom