coyote rifle

joebuck

Thinking about a new rifle for coyotes. I want something different than the usuals though. Perhaps a .240 Weatherby magnum? Or a 220 swift? Thoughts? Suggestions?

JB, Perhaps you should take a look at the new .243WSSM, or the .25WSSM. Hornady also came out w/a new caliber, .204RUGER. Velocities are supposed to be around 4200fps!!! That should be good 'yote medicine. Good luck with your choice.

My brother is selling a winchester coyote in .223 if you are interested. It shoots really well and has had less than 100 rounds thru it. [email protected]

Smiling.gif

220 swift ...fastest commercial round for years. If your into economy the .223 would be a great choice, ammo is way cheap. The new .243 WSSM isn't that much more impressive than a regular .243 if you load lighter weight bullets. You're only gaining about 100 fps with the new winchester cartridges. If your not a reloader...go with the .223, ammo is always available and it's a reliable little round.

Buy the 204ruger. It sounds like a great round. Then you can get on here and tell us if it's anygood.

JB

Muzz, I assume you are an American. Unfortunately that would make it pretty much impossible for me to buy a firearm off you or your family. I live north of the border.

You say you want something a little different than usual? Try building yourself a .22-.243 Middlestead. Lots of data available, shoots 40 grain bullets about 4300-4500 fps with a wide variety of powders. You can even load 30 grain Bergers up to 5200+ fps!!!! Now you're talking a true coyote zapper.

my dad has a 240 weatherby mag and he loves it. but use that for deer, that 220 swift would be cool.

Garrett

since hollywood and the huggers ruined the fur market i like great big guns for coyotes. something that turns em inside out. .300 mag with 110 gr hollowpoints. wish i had a warbird or an ultramag. a warbird might just vaporize a coyote. .223 is a great cartridge, but my favorite is a .22-250. do anything a swift will do with 10 less grains of powder. remember one thing when you're shooting really light bullets at ultra high velocities. they don't group real well and don't handle wind at all.

There are lot's on new one's out there but I think a good .223 and a 220 swift or 22-250 cover all the bases! I have a swift and love it.

joebuck,

I have a Ruger No. 1-V in .220 swift and absolutely love it for yotes, hogs, javelina, bobcats, etc. It shoots like a dream with the varmint barrel, no recoil, and it will shoot sub-moa groups w/ factory remington green box ammo. Goodluck.

T264

cass is right i think a 25-06 will be great for coyotes. I have one myself it shoots flat. i live in oklahoma and to hunt out here you need a flat shooting gun. 25-06 is as good as it gets.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom