Craig Morgan "Crossbow Ricochet Antelope Kill?"

fly4fish

I just watched Craig Morgan hunting in Wyoming with a crossbow. I have never seen such bad shooting, especially in a TV show,in my life, and I only caught the last half.

First he put a bolt high, just below the spine of a buck antelope. He was as excited as Ted Nugent after shooting a doe. He then came back after watching the video and said "well, after watching the footage I realized that my shot was not a leathal shot, so we are back at it. It did not appear they even made an effort to look for it.

2nd, he found another antelope at 96 yards and down hill at quite an angle. Right after the shot you can see something hit the ground and make dust right in front or the buck and then the bolt sticks into its shoulder. It went down quick Craig could not believe he just made a 96 yard shot with a crossbow. He was more excited then Fred Ickler after a forked horn encounter. I just wanted to know if anybody else saw this and thinks it was a ricochet as well? If he did, he should have missed high, not low.

3rd, he set up on a field and a average 4 point muley came through the field, and of course he missed it again. The guy he was with missed a muley as well.

3 crossbow misses, one hit no recovery, and one incredible luck ricochet (maybe) all in half an episode!

It's getting to the point that there are so many shows just plugging the equipment they are using that they don't have the time or talent to put out a good show. Maybe he should just stick to playinng his "gitar" and stay off the friggin TV if he's as bad as you mentioned because that kind of crap sure doesn't help our cause!

This was the first time I watched his show and the last. What a joke! He doesn't have a clue on how to hunt or ethics. If he acts like that on TV, just think of the crap he does while there are no cameras.

BC

>This was the first time I
>watched his show and the
>last. What a joke! He
>doesn't have a clue on
>how to hunt or ethics.
>If he acts like that
>on TV, just think of
>the crap he does while
>there are no cameras.
>
>BC

So BC, do you agree that the shot looked more like a ricochet than a clean hit?

Yeah, just think about the things the edit out!

I didn't see this show that you guys are talking about but last week...or the week before, he shot one of the biggest, widest, highest, velvet 4X4 bucks i've ever seen taken on TV. That buck was huge. They barely showed the trophy shot and at the time i had a hard time with it because to me, that buck was way special and they could have done the whole show on that trophy buck alone.

I never much cared for the guy or his music.

Joey

Didn't see this, but I did catch Muzzy's yesterday and Fred Eichler(spelling)'s wife was hunting antelope with their son. As the goat quartered away she let it fly and hit it in the azz. Of course in the next clip it was dead and she was going to great lengths to show the exit(through the chest). They then show her bringing it home and old Fred(who I enjoy) starts talking about how yes she shot it in the butt but she knew "just where to aim" to have the arrow(set at 45lbs) hit so it would come through the chest. Pretty sad to see that now we are so indifferent to ethics and good hunting that we put wounding and azz shots on TV just to sell products, sad!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-11 AT 02:13PM (MST)[p]Didn't see that goat episode, but Fred is one of my few favorites on TV. He is just flat an outdoors guy and it sure doesn't have to be a P&Y or B&C animal for him to get excited. One show he did everything on earth to get the outfitter to let him shoot a smaller animal and the guy kept saying no. I thought old Fred was going to break out in tears, LOL! His wife, Michele, is usually pretty good with her bow, but mistakes are made and at least they recovered the animal. From the description give regarding Morgan and that one goat he shot, it doesn't even sound like the jerk tried to find it. That is a cardinal sin!!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-11 AT 03:16PM (MST)[p]So I am still waiting to see if anybody else saw the episode and thinks the kill shot was a ricochet.

I was watching another show once of a archery elk hunt. The hunter got an easy broadside shot and let it rip. The arrow entered right under the spine. They dismissed it as a clean miss. I rewound it several times and could see the arrow pass through, hair fly, and a a blood spot as he ran away. It is one thing to make a bad shot and live up to it, but to try and tell us it was a clean miss is ridiculous. There is no doubt they know, cause I could tell easily. I emailed them but never did get a response.

And yes, I like Fred myself. I just think it is funny how excited he gets. I do think experienced hunters should have higher standards for the benefit of the heard, but that is my opinion.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-11 AT 04:40PM (MST)[p]If it was a passthrough right below the spine, the animal probably lived. However, that's ridiculous because if you could see where the arrow hit on your rewind of the film they should have been able to see it too and tried to track it a ways. I swear that every Tom, D I C K, and Harry is out there making videos now and most of them suck!!!

He was as excited as Ted Nugent after shooting a doe

LMMFAO!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Saw it,it SUCKS!Maybe someday the people producing these shows will find some talent,maybe.

I saw the show and agree it was a ricochet, for sure. The thing I got a kick out of was him giving his hunting partner and his camera man a hard time about how THEY were hunting. They did have nice decoys for antelope, and his field laying technique looked pretty interesting.

Yeah I saw it....I was wondering what the dust fly-yp in front of the antelope was....it definitely wasn't huntin'...just shootin'..pretty dumb to take a 90+ yard shot even with a crossbow and scope(I thought)

i saw it last night what a dumb@$$ it looked like a ricochet to me as well and if you cant hit them when they are close why in the hell shoot at that distance. i guess if you have the money you can buy your own show but i personally think that a show like this has the peta fans saying see i told you so! i wont tune into that show again i want to see real hunting not some jackwagons acting like they know how to hunt

He bounced it off the ground and got lucky. I shoot a crossbow a lot, 96 yards is stupid. I never shoot more than 50 and less if there is a wind. I shot a bow for a lot of years I believe bolts are affected a lot more by wind than arrows because of their shorter length. I shoot an Equinox recurve that is accurate but I have no hold for even 60 yards. I can't imagine anything but just launching a bolt at that distance. Irresponsible!

When he said something about "getting back after it", I took it to mean he was going after the one he had already wounded. That may have lead to the decision to take a 96 yard shot...In hopes of recovering the wounded lope. Not saying I agree with his tactics, just saying what I saw. They did a poor job of conveying to the viewing public what was really taking place.

>When he said something about "getting
>back after it", I took
>it to mean he was
>going after the one he
>had already wounded. That may
>have lead to the decision
>to take a 96 yard
>shot...In hopes of recovering the
>wounded lope. Not saying I
>agree with his tactics, just
>saying what I saw. They
>did a poor job of
>conveying to the viewing public
>what was really taking place.
>

You may be right about that, but that is not how it appeared to me. If that is what his intentions were, then they definitely should have conveyed it much better. That antelope did not appear to have any wounds in it up high, but it may not have bled that bad. I don't know. Either way they tried to pass that as a good shot. He should have hit high with that angle, not 4 feet low.

Thanks for bringing up this point. I guess I will have to watch the episode again if it comes on.

I have it on the DVR and just watched it again, I don't think that is the same antelope and I didn't take his comment that way but I might be wrong. I still think he left the first nonlethal hit and shot another.

whats the name of the show and what stations is it on? i'd like to dvr it. sounds BAD

Craig Morgan something on the outdoor channel,saw that 96 yards wonder what his scope was sighted in for

You can comment on the show on the outdoor channel website. I let them know what I thought of that episode. Maybe you guys can too.

isn't he a former soldier and does a lot with the troops? I kinda like him for that reason but I've only watched one episode where he was doing a show for some soldiers.

I didn't see the episode, but I do have to say how sick I am of seeing big out of shape guys trekking to their tree stand to shoot yet another whitetail. Gets pretty old for us western guys who hike the miles on the hunt, whatever that hunt may be. I do have some favorite shows, and there are a few guys I would consider real hunters, but most shows anymore are too commercialized and hard for me to enjoy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom