Craig Unit 3-301?

We've been in a drought for about 15 years now. Not just this summer. The herd in this area is struggling. Licences were cut back 10% this year. CPW will probably reduce tags by another 40 to 5n0% if we have an average winter.

Put it this way, Routt county is having it's driest year in 105 years of record keeping. Moffat county is the next county west and it's not wetter.

I would keep everything in perspective however. There are still deer to be hunted and plenty ground to hunt them on. The drought was bad this year especially in the NW corner of the state. That has animals in weird places and already selecting food not typical for the year.

Earlier season focus your efforts around water and more importantly look for areas that have decent food. After hunting this archery season for over 15 days I found that the last couple rains we got really changed the vegetation in some areas and not in other. To the point where you could literally see the line in the brush/grass where more rain fell. In the buck brush, mountain mahogany, snowberry country alot of the plants died back and lost buds etc. this year. Again however the 2-3 good days of rain we got in Sept. allowed some areas to see some growth back and where I was it only took the animals about 2 days to concentrate in those areas. I believe the same will be true further north in 3.

Good luck. Hope you kill a good one.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom