Crewcab or 65/7500?

greatwestern

Very Active Member
What do ya guys like for backpack trips with heavy loads plus the haulout? Crewcab with the top and a couple cells, or one of the two big ones?

My only experience was with a bud's 6500, which I liked a lot, and would think that for only a few more oz pack weight would be worth havin the extra k of capacity...but I do like the design of the Crew bag

Have had the chance to try Eberlestock and Kifaru in the field, and don't find them to be satisfactory...so let's please stick with 'Ranch recommendations

Am still using my old Mtn Smith, with which I've hauled some porky loads (up to 160# boned elk meat), and never had any problems with the durability or carry, but it is really just a 'potato' in design...everything in one big compartment, though there is a bottom 1/3 access zipper, and it does have a floating lid compartment. Usually end up piggy-backing my day pack on it for spotter/tripod, water bladder, knives/saw, etc...talk about a primitive setup! Though it is nice to have the light daypack for use out of camp, though I've always got a bunch of crap lashed to it anyhow :)

Anyway, Thanks for any experienced input!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-11 AT 00:24AM (MST)[p]Mmmm.. I havent ever used a mystery ranch. Don't know what you don't like about eberlestock? I have an eberlestock Dragonfly and also the X1 and I have been nothing but happy with them... you might know something I don't.
Coloradoboy

The only one I know that packs 166 lbs is b-war why dont you pm her and find out what she was using?

I always use the 6500 for backpack trips. I hate making things fit. I'd rather use the compressions straps to shrink the pack if necessary. Then you have the ability to carry out as much as you can handle. It's really not bad to carry as a daypack, either.

The Crewcab goes on day hunts.

6500 under rain fly

Goat-32.jpg

And again

Dall49.jpg

Kodiak16.jpg

Dall56.jpg

As a daypack after backpacking in

Camp.jpg

Dall12.jpg

pack.jpg

The 6500 makes a decent pillow in a pinch

glassing.jpg

Crewcab on day hunts

Load1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-11 AT 09:08AM (MST)[p]My son and I went with the MR Grizzly 6000s for our 10 day Dall hunt last fall. I had the same question, but we didn't have any problems hauling 100lbs. of Caribou and Sheep with our packs. We were both very pleased with them.
And while I am far from an expert, if your future is hefting 160lbs of elk, I would go with the extra pack. It sounds like you are willing to carry much more than I am capable of.
Good luck.

Ya Oak, your 'hate making things fit' observation pretty much seals it...I think I'll go 7500. And awesome photos, thanks for posting!

LBH, I know you know that the heavy weight is not a boast, just what I expect a pack to be able to handle without any question of failure. I've been hauling the pork for a long time...when we were teenagers, my older brother was always putting all the heavy stuff on my load and lashing all kinds of crap to the outside, and if I complained about it, he'd bark "YOU are Packhorse!" :)

CB---I always wondered about the durability of the materials and craftsmanship of the J-packs...just seemed insubstantial to me. Since have learned of a few horror stories regarding failures in the field, which removes them from consideration without question. Did use the X1 daypack on a desert hunt a couple years ago and liked it quite well.

SWbuck, I have no idea what the heck yer talkin about

Anyways...Thanks Guys, I appreciate the good input!

I have both and can say without a question get the 6500 over the crew cab for extended trips. You can load it all in the CC but it doesnt ride near as nice with the weight.

It was a joke! You might not have seen the post. It basically said she was so tough she could pack an entire elk out in one trip 8 miles in. The loads she claimed to carry were 160 lbs or more cant remember. it was a funny post.

I think she had a 16" saddle

LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-11 AT 03:11PM (MST)[p]Thanks Marley, I figured as much for sure, but wanted to get feedback from you guys who have em...could always get a Crew bag as well if I ever felt a need later on anyway

Nah SW, it's no worries man, I just didn't know what the heck you were talkin about as I never saw the post and have no idea who that gal is...don't know how much she can haul, but sounds like she must hunt some kind of race of hobbit elk if a whole one comes out at 160 :)

**edit---hey, how's this for a beverly hillbilly load from a few years back, maxxing out a little Gregory...a regular travelling junkyard! just need some pots and pans hangin off, and maybe a small dog on the roof, eh!

8409pack.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom