Crowd Sourcing - Best Place To Visit This Winter

2lumpy

Long Time Member
The intellectuals call it "Crowd Sourcing". We do it all the time around here. Works spectacularly well, and we don't recognizing we are doing it.

Possible the best thing about the MM Forum is the diversity of the contributors. Folks from all walks of life and from different and unique places. Never been associated with so many unique individuals with such unique perspectives. And everyone, to a person.........is an active "let's go" personality. As a group, there is a wealth of "problem solving" knowledge herein.

As of the last week or two, the discussions have slowed a little, or so it seems. Figured it might be good time to go prospecting for some diverse knowledge.

Our family's hunts are now over for the year.
The elk rut's over, deer ruts going to be winding down soon.
Christmas will run it's course in about 4 weeks.
A deep freeze will follow Christmas and last for 5 or 6 weeks.

Wife and I are looking for a place to run, for 3 or 4 weeks after the 1st of January, away from the cold. We like scenic views but want more than just a pretty landscape. Willing try new activities, unique to unique places. Golf works, but not looking to just golf for a month. Tennis is too hard on our 70 year old the knees.

On the main land (not looking for a boat ride), where is your favorite place to visit during the "slow" winter months, or where would you go, even if you haven't gone yet.

We'd prefer to drive and pull a 5th wheel.

Why would you go there specifically, over some place similar?
What kinds of things would you do while you're there, if you went?

>The intellectuals call it "Crowd Sourcing".
> We do it all
>the time around here.
>Works spectacularly well, and we
>don't recognizing we are doing
>it.
>
>Possible the best thing about the
>MM Forum is the diversity
>of the contributors. Folks
>from all walks of life
>and from different and unique
>places. Never been associated
>with so many unique individuals
>with such unique perspectives.
>And everyone, to a person.........is
>an active "let's go" personality.
> As a group, there
>is a wealth of "problem
>solving" knowledge herein.
>
>As of the last week or
>two, the discussions have slowed
>a little, or so it
>seems. Figured it might
>be good time to go
>prospecting for some diverse knowledge.
>
>
>Our family's hunts are now over
>for the year.
>The elk rut's over, deer ruts
>going to be winding down
>soon.
>Christmas will run it's course in
>about 4 weeks.
>A deep freeze will follow Christmas
>and last for 5 or
>6 weeks.
>
>Wife and I are looking for
>a place to run, for
>3 or 4 weeks after
>the 1st of January, away
>from the cold.
>We like scenic views but
>want more than just a
>pretty landscape. Willing try
>new activities, unique to unique
>places. Golf works, but
>not looking to just golf
>for a month. Tennis
>is too hard on our
>70 year old the knees.
>
>
>On the main land (not looking
>for a boat ride), where
>is your favorite place to
>visit during the "slow" winter
>months, or where would you
>go, even if you haven't
>gone yet.
>
>We'd prefer to drive and pull
>a 5th wheel.
>
>Why would you go there specifically,
>over some place similar?
>What kinds of things would you
>do while you're there, if
>you went?

I'd Go To Southern Utah Where it's gonna be Warmer!:D:D:D

She Don't Just Rain She Pours!

That Girl Right There's The Perfect Storm!

90087hankjr.jpg

Been there, done that Bess. Not a bad go, but looking for some place I haven't worn out.

Anchorage is warmer that your outhouse, in January!!! But.......Glenwood is at 5,300 feet and our two seater gets too frosty for my backside.

DC

In January, I'd say the desert southwest. That could be anywhere in Arizona below the Rim and southern NM. I can't help much with NM but AZ has plenty to do. Most desert units have archery deer hunts and the rut is still active in the beginning of Jan. If you don't want to hunt, there are plenty of lakes to fish. The temps are as low as 30? and as high as 70? and the elevation is anywhere from 1200' to 4300'. If you don't want to do any of that, you can just explore the desert and mess around in Tucson or Phoenix a couple of days. I love the winters in the low country.

I was going to say New Zealand but I don't think you can pull the fifth wheel there. That is where I would go though.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-17 AT 10:27PM (MST)[p]Beanman, that's a fantastic suggestion.

Truth is, that is going to happen, I hope next winter. A buddy up the street who's retiring next summer, and I are planning to take our wives, rent a house in a small community out side of Christchurch, so we can travel in all four direction. Stay for 3 or 4 months so we can see everything, land and sea related. Been looking at rentals that run from $2,500 to $3,400 a month. Might find one for less, if we stay there the entire time. Buy a used car and sell it before we leave for home, to travel in. If I've read it correctly they are allowed hunting on public land DYI and with over the counter tags, year round. Want to do a little fishing off the coast and some of the rivers too. Can't wait to try one of those New Zealand Crayfish!!! But..... mostly just absorb beauty of the country and meet the people.

Should actually be going right now, New Zealand Air was advertising a round trip airfare for $995.00 last week.

But........ for now, got to find something for this year I can drive to.

Captain_coues, thanks. Where exactly in AZ or New Mex. My son lives in Los Cruses, so we've spent a fair amount of time with he and his family in Southern New Mexico.

DC

That's a tough question for me. I love to get out and go, but I don't think I make a good tourist. An example is that I like to hike, but hate the trails. I'm happy driving a dirt road and stopping for a day or two along the way and exploring. Even if it's half assed. The women in my life are better at finding fun things to do for a serious trip.

Since it's you and your wife and a trailer, I'd say find a campground and go from there. I say Phoenix and Tucson because they can offer more for night life and restaurants than a small podunk town. Tucson has air museums that are cool and is close to some cool country. Check the Oracle AZ area. Yuma has the sand dunes and you can explore the wildlife refuge north of there. Stay away from Quartzite because it's a gathering of bums. The Phoenix area has some neat places on the east side. The Superstition Mountains and 4 lakes are along the salt river in Mesa. There are campgrounds nearby and Phoenix is not far away so you can enjoy some things there. I've only driven through the southern part of NM and spend most of my time there at or above 5500' so I'm not much help.
I would make Tucson the southern most area to travel or at least camp because of the border activity.

South Padre Island on the Texas coast has lots of warm sunny days, miles of beach to explore. There are many birdwatching opportunities in the area. Great food. Lots of folks from colder regions make the trek each year. We call em ?snow birds?.

Southern Cal Lumpy you can't beat the weather this time of the year. Great RV parks and lots to see and do.
There is the fishing out of San Diego that can't be beat if you are looking to fill the freezer as well.
Warm and toasty is the key for old bones, you can be there in a day or two depending on how you travel.
Travel into Mexico for day trip, great food and lots to see maybe Kali?
And here in Kali we open the doors to non residents we love you guys.
I know that many people go there every year to winter because of the weather and RV parks are great.

just my two cents

My parents used to go to Palm Springs every winter after Dad retired. "Snowbirds" they were know as...pulled a 5th wheel and stayed in a RV park. He was a golfer too.

97172deliverancebanjo.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-17 AT 08:32AM (MST)[p]
COME TO CALI & HUNT BIG HOGS ON THE COAST !!!!! LOTS TO SEE, GOOD RESTAURANTS. THE RV SITUATION IS UNLIMITED IN CALI, YOU WILL HAVE FUN !!!!! SUNSHINE/ 50 TO 75 DEGREES ALSO................YD.

Like Dorothy on the Wizard of Oz said: "There's no place like California", "There's no place like California", "There's no place like California".

Here is another supporter of CALIFORNIA and You may be our Jed:

Jagerdad :)

You are right! there is no place like Kali(southern).
this is a joke ...right.

from a Native Californian(formaly)

let the responses begin...LOL.

2 lumps,

My Wife and I plan to do something very similar, we'd like to rent a home near Wanaka on the South Island and buy a car. We?d like to be gone about six months. I had a winter nursery for pinto beans just North of Blenheim for a couple of years although I only got to vist it once. I hitchiked NZ for 3 months after college and My Wife and I spent a month there on our honeymoon. I could live there.

DC, I have to admit California especially central California might have some potential. You could easily shoot a pig and then enjoy fishing In the ocean or freshwater.If you got here before February duckhunting could be an option for a day as well. Tons of wonderful food and places to shop Etc, Even Yosemite maybe

No place like Kalifornia is right.

Where else can you go where city councils give cell phones to the homeless while raising the gas tax by .11 cents a gallon?

Where 20 something year old vagrants hit you up for money then go to the local supermarket and use their food stamps.

Where knowingly giving HIV to another human being has been reduced from a felony to a misdemeanor?

Where come January 1, 2018, we become the first sanctuary state in the union, open to all criminals.

Where getting a concealed carry permit is dictate by the counties chief LE agent, and unless you've given mightily to their department or reelection fund you don't get one.

Where NO OTHER STATES CCW PERMIT IS RECOGNIZED.

Where the land of bullet buttons and 10 round magazines abound, and the crime rate remains unchanged.

Where crimes involving less than $950 (including stealing handguns) are punishable by a slap on the wrist.

Where the state government pro temp Kevin Deleon can state on the record that half his family is here illegally.

Where a train to nowhere is being built and the water tunnels to hell have been stalled yet the Environmentalists banned plastic bags at the supermarket.

Where come 1/1/18 you can't buy a box of ammo at the store but you can get marijuana anywhere you want.

Where farmers are vilified, non native fish are glorified and we're speeding towards that magical $15/hr minimum wage

Where?..wait, where was I going with this?

Nevermind, go to Arizona instead.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-17 AT 08:02PM (MST)[p]Other than that............ how's the peach festival.

DC

Homer; I revert to locum tenens my ass....Just because mannyCA has 1, 2 Posts does not mean he is a short timer.

If you got to know him, you would have a wonderful Friend....Yah Old Grouch who doesn't HUG :)

Grouchy Babies could help new comers better...especially if you had some Pea Soup with the author along I-5

Grouchy Baby, Grouchy Baby....Nah, Nah-nee Nanny Goat. Be the sweet man you are.

PS: How dare Elk give Manny a pat... I am devastated. Woe Tis Me... I never got such Love from Elk...? What's Dah world coming to...?

Elk'ie ... Your must STILL be at F.A.U.L.T. 4 som'thin + Bee'en kind to a new Q'Kumber mannyCA.

Elk, ... Ewe nev'r gave Me a Hug ... en all dah tyme I have bien a Member. Plus Leek's Palzy.

mannyCA, You have done swell to keep ole 2lumpy distant from the real West .... California. Bronc'z do not get tamed fast en we few true Californians won't give up as General Grant en-circles us. We fight on, but many lay LOW and give up the Political aspect....Oh I sure can talk about the Giv'en up'ies among verbal hard core talkers.

Me B holden out and once Mau & I are ejected, we B hunt'n fur Land & Home.

Did I hear something about chicken fried steak in Reno...?

It's darn near time to be wearing full Onesie's. Hey, gottah stay cute and warm Elk and DW & forthewall & Homer... :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom