Custom Rifles

HiMtnHntr

Very Active Member
Looking to hear some opinions on affordable custom rifles. This rifle would be a do it all type for N. America. Lightweight, synthetic stock. A "go to" rifle.

HiMtnHntr,
I'm confused by ?affordable custom rifles? however, A blueprinted action, top brand barrel, & professionally assembled is my guess what that means. Try checking out: http://www.scorehi.com/main.htm
I've never dealt with these guys but for some reason I had their link saved with some hi dollar customizers.

I would just get a Weatherby, Sako or Kimber. What ever one you liked better and use the extra money to get a great scope.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-06 AT 06:19PM (MST)[p]After researching customs a bit, I've come to terms with the fact that the majority are out of my price range when you factor in the scope. I should have said "cheap" in place of "affordable".

Cahunter, I've been looking into the Weatherby and Sako. I have experience with Sako and but none with Weatherby. I'm sure both offer fine rifles. Do you have experience with the finnlight or weatherby's Ultra lightweight? Anybody? Thanks. O, I'm pretty set on the .300 WSM.

I have two weatherbys and they both are shooters. Under 1 inch most of the time. I alway tell people they shoot better then I can. One is a vanguard, thats about 18 years old. The other is a mark V in 340, kicks a little but still very accourate. I have shot an ultralite and they are nice. I want to get one in 257 weatherby, I just have to sell my model 70 270wsm first. What calibers have you been looking at?

you like those Kimbers, I looked at one and the action seemed rough. I hear they are sweet rifles, I have beem thinking about getting one in 300wsm? Some of the lighter rifles that I've shot seemed to light, almost like a toy. They didn't fit me well.

I own a few customs and I think they are great....and all were out of my income bracket. That said save the money buy a good production gun, do a trigger job,and bed it. This will give you some where around MOA accuracy, which is all you will need. I could be close to paying for a sheep hunt if I would have skipped the customs. Are the customs more accurate YES. That is the big problem with them, it is a very bad disease that accuracy creates. It is just impossable for me to settle for anything but top accuracy anymore, even though there is no need for the extra accuracy at reasonable game ranges. If you buy one custom you will want more even though you know it is realy not needed.
Heck I just ordered a custom .22lr........for what I don't really know. But the accuracy bug is a bad problem. I am just glad it was a bumper crop of morel mushrooms and they bought me a new toy.

Jon, All the rifles mentioned are all great and hard to beat,Since you are familar with Sako, you might check out the Tika T-3. Great rifles, lightweight (6.3lbs-also 6.6 lbs). They are priced right. I'm not the best shot in the world, and these rifles make me look good. They are the most accurate rifles I have ever shot. Some one mentioned the Kimbers, (great rifle),but as they said action, not perfect as far as smoothness. I own both and as far as my rifles, The Tika is my pick. As far as a custom rifle, I think any of the rifles everyone has mentioned (Weatherby, Sako, Kimber, Tika) are what you would possibly be happy with. Price wise the Tika Rifles will be the cheapest of any, with exception of the Weatherby Vanguard, I see where it is priced reasonable. Also someone may want to correct me on this, but the one Weatherby I had ,I had to buy their ammo, that got very expensive. ( It was In 300 win mag). Good luck on your gun shopping! Decisions! Decisions!
lth

You should look at the Sub MOA vanguard. They are all shooters and you can get one for about 800 bucks. I don't even need a new rifle and I want to get one in 257.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom