CVA Accura best load you have

casper31

Ok I couldnt pass up the sale for the cva accura black and stainless at midway for 249.00. I would like to use this gun on my antelope hunt in wyoming this sept. Would anybody share there best load for the cva accura,as i wont have tons of time before sept is here and need to get sighted in asap.

I will be putting a scope on this gun. thanks again Dan

90 grains of FFF Triple 7 and a 338 Powerbelt Platinum.This was the first load I tried in my new accura and it was so accrate I have not changed or tried anything else.

90 grains of BH 209, CCI 209M primers and 250 grain Hornady SST's. With the Nikon Omega I have on top of it I am good to go at 200 yards.

90 grains 777 loose powder with Thompson 370 conicals shoot incredible with open sights. I'm headed to Co. so no scope. Worth a try as these rounds are well priced too. good luck. Great gun!!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-10 AT 08:55PM (MST)[p]100 gr 777 and a 245 Powerbelt hollow point or 110 gr of BH 209 with a 250 gr Thor. Very good out to 200 yds

Are these legal in Colorado (CVA Accura, BH 209 powder, Powerbelts)? I've read a few reviews on the BH 209 powder not igniting in some guns anyone had this happen with a CVA Accura?

fantastic from what i've read people are having good results out to not only 200 even 250 yards using 120 grains of BH209, powerbelts and CVA Accura's. Whats the best grain choice for elk with this load I'm guessing 338? Thanks

Not only are the lower powder charges usually more accurate but if you use 120 gr of BH 209 (roughly equivalent to 138 gr of black powder/pyrodex) a powerbelt will probably come apart on impact and you will get less penetration than if you use 90-100 gr of powder. Pure lead bullets (all of powerbelts are pure lead regardless of what the skin is) don't do well if pushed too hard.

120 gr will also kick harder in two places: your shoulder and your pocketbook. Do NOT buy into the magnum hype. 90-100 gr of powder is enough to kill any elk walking. My elk load this year is 95 gr of BH 209 and the 350 gr FPB (killed an elk with this load for the last two years).

I would use either the 338 platinum or the 405 aerotip if I were using a powerbelt. The 350 gr Hornady FPB is a lead alloy bullet that is also a good choice.

For toughness of bullet, the Thor can not be beat.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-10 AT 09:36AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-10 AT 09:35?AM (MST)

Thanks guys for all the load info, my thought was mabey a 250 grn powerbelt or barnes sabet 250,as for this first hunt it is just a thin skinned antelope.I would think a 250 should be fine what's your thought? I have the BH209 and just trying to track down some cci209M primers.Does the m stand for magnum or match?

http://frontiermuzzleloadin.powerguild.net/

Magnum.

Antelope are hard boogers to kill! Just helped my bro in laws friend get one and man them suckers can absorb arrow after arrow before dying.

245gr Powerbelt with 80-90gr Blackhorn will do the job, In fact if you want to bump it up to the 295, that would be better. The 223-245-295 and heck even the 348gr Powerbelt have very little difference in drop believe it or not.

Hey gang I'm going to try a few differnt loads until i find the best long range load. I'm still trying to figure out what grain powerbelt would be the best for elk and 90 to 120 grains of BH209. I think I'm going with the 295 grain PB but would like to know if the lighter 245 or 338 grain PB have any advantages?

Great info Thanks! I've narrowed it down to either the 338 PB platinum or the 348 PB copper. I'm wondering which would be a better choice for long range accuracy anyone tried both? It looks like 100 grains of BH209 is the max.
I'm asking so many questions because I use to reload for my 7mm and I know some of those little differences can make a big difference in accuracy. I decieded to try the Bergers VLD's in my 7mm and after shooting about 200 reloads and 10 different loads and I ended up going back to factory Hornady. After 200 yards the Berger reloads were all over the place, but the factory Hornady were great in my rifle out to 500 yards.

here's a review I found on midwayusa.com under the 348gr powerbelt.

"We had 9 hunters in our elk camp using the 295-348Gr Powerbelt/Aerotip bullets. 8 elk were taken and only one required a second shot (my partner), although that was not the fault of the bullet. My elk was taken at 140 yards with 100gr loose 777 and the bullet gave nearly complete penetration, corner to corner through an adult bull. My elk partners second shot was broadside at 235yds and nearly passed through the ribcage using 100gr 777. Both his slug and mine shed about 40% of their original 348gr weight and produced good wound channels"

There is no "better" as far as accuracy, you will have to try both and see which flies better in your gun.

The 338 platinum is a slightly tougher bullet because it has a smaller hollowpoint.

You will notice in the reviews you posted that both bulls he mentioned were at longer range (lower velocity) and still got good penetration.

txhunter58

>Hey gang I'm going to try
>a few differnt loads until
>i find the best long
>range load. I'm still trying
>to figure out what grain
>powerbelt would be the best
>for elk and 90 to
>120 grains of BH209. I
>think I'm going with the
>295 grain PB but would
>like to know if the
>lighter 245 or 338 grain
>PB have any advantages?

Please reread all the above posts! For elk,if you use a 245 or 295 powerbelt with 120 gr of BH 209 you are asking for trouble. Minimum of the 338 bullet is recommended (ask the powerbelt company themselves) and I personally think 100-105 should be a maximum for BH 209 with powerbelt. Do a search for powerbelt problems and you will see a lot of info about these bullets coming apart at higher velocities.

That said, Thors are basically the same price as powerbelts and are a much tougher bullet. Hornady FPB's are a noticably tougher bullet (lead alloy instead of pure lead) and are cheaper. The only way I would shoot a powerbelt at an elk again is if they were the only bullet I could get to fly accurately.

And to clear up one more area of confusion. The outer coating of powerbelts and FPB's are not truly "jackets". They do not make the bullets any tougher. They are simply an outer skin to help protect the lead inside and your barrel from lead.

txhunter58

Ok txhunter58 : accura 1:28 twist .50 and Thor .500 what charge should I use to dial in please!? New to inlines - have Remington primers have 777 but should I get BH ? Daughter has a youth tag. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Ok txhunter58 : accura 1:28 twist .50 and Thor .500 what charge should I use to dial in please!? New to inlines - have Remington primers have 777 but should I get BH ? Daughter has a youth tag. Thanks in advance
Foco, I’m shooting an accura V2, had a hard time grouping it he Thors 300 (lightening) w/100 grains by volume of 777. I backed it off to 90 grn by volume 777 and feel much more confident, started to group pretty well, low flyer was on me…

71237414634__3CEF9DC3-7D6B-4E34-8294-9C02AE1AA3F3.jpeg

Righteous and greatly appreciated! Thought 100 might be too hot.

Nice shooting.
Thanks foco, hopefully I can do that when it counts on a bull next month. Let me know if backing it off helps any, good luck to you and your daughter on the hunt!

Not only are the lower powder charges usually more accurate but if you use 120 gr of BH 209 (roughly equivalent to 138 gr of black powder/pyrodex) a powerbelt will probably come apart on impact and you will get less penetration than if you use 90-100 gr of powder. Pure lead bullets (all of powerbelts are pure lead regardless of what the skin is) don't do well if pushed too hard.

120 gr will also kick harder in two places: your shoulder and your pocketbook. Do NOT buy into the magnum hype. 90-100 gr of powder is enough to kill any elk walking. My elk load this year is 95 gr of BH 209 and the 350 gr FPB (killed an elk with this load for the last two years).

I would use either the 338 platinum or the 405 aerotip if I were using a powerbelt. The 350 gr Hornady FPB is a lead alloy bullet that is also a good choice.

For toughness of bullet, the Thor can not be beat.

txhunter58

Well Written......

Accura V2 50 cal: BH209 77 grs ( by weight), Thor Lightning 300 grs., Federal 209A primers. Williams WPS (Ballistic Reticle Insert).

Some of the Accura(s) boresize tend to be finicky and took me a while to get the right copper bullet diameter that would fit and shoot well out of my gun.

Took my step-grandson trapshooting today. While I was there I went to the 200yd range and took a few shots. Shooting my CVA 45cal Accura V2, 100 grains by volume BH209, loose powder breech, Remington black powder primer and ELR 285 gr bullet.
I used the third line on my Konus scope that came with it. Happy with this group but I think I'll go one click to the right.

I understand they shoot higher in cold weather, is this correct? How much higher do you think it will shoot?

IMG_0778.JPG

Accura V2
110 777 FFG
.500 Thor 300 Grain
CCI 209M

Has worked well on decent bulls for me and is accurate in my particular muzzleloader.

I just spent the better part of a day at the range yesterday with my Accura V1, Barnes 290g BT w/sabot pushed by (2) IMR White Hot pellets. Trying to get a new Leopold Freedom muzzleloader scope sighted in. I had a heck of a time getting the bullet and sabot all the way down the barrel after just one shot. The build-up of crud in the barrel down by the breech was bad enough that I couldn't seat the bullet as far as I could on a clean barrel. Came up slightly short. Anybody else have issues using Barnes in an Accura V1? I assume mines a V1 as it was bought in 2009-10 and doesn't have V2 on it anywhere. Plan on using it in UT on a bull in two weeks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom