CVA / Black Horn 209

Whiterock

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON May-28-14 AT 06:36AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-28-14 AT 05:33?AM (MST)

Going to try some Black Horn powder in my CVA Wolf.Will see how it preforms.

Do you have the BH209 breech plug for your gun and magnum primers this works best for this powder.

I have been told I need the 209 Black Horn beech plug and to use CCI mag primers and that it does not shoot good with Powerbelt bullets as they do not form a tight seal andgas will pass by the bullet and hurt accuracy.
Only thing I do not like about Triple 777 is the fouling ,I do get good accuracy with it.

I would totally agree with your first statement (nee 209 breech plug and hot primers). Although I get good bang from remington STS primers.

I don't think the statement about powerbelts is accurate. The only way to know that is to shoot them with BH 209 and see what happens. They are one of the best bullets for sealing powder. I don't use them for other reasons, but don't think that is a problem.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

My CVA really likes Thor bullets. They'll send you a sample pack of 4 different sizes to see what fits your gun best. It's a Barnes bullet. Blackhorn 209 is the only way to go - shim your firing pin bushing and there's no blowback.

Semper Fi

Good little black powder gun. Not to heavy, short, fast handling, and shoots well. We loaded fpz's with 90-95 grains of buck horn and away they went punching a nice 4 inch group with open sights off a sand bag. Then we reduced the load down to 80-85 grains for the wifey and found the gun patterned just as well only needing to hold a bit higher. Just keep you flash hole good and clean and you'll do great! Have fun!

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

I don't recommend Powerbelts, but the statement that they don't shoot well with BH 209 is totally false.

Powerbelts shoot great with 90 grains of Black Horn powder.I have heard a lot of negative about Powerbelt bullets but they have always worked for us on deer and elk. 348 grain aero tips and hollow points both.
I have been told just don't push them to fast.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-14 AT 07:42PM (MST)[p]I will be using Black Horn powder on my muzzleloader elk hunt,but I think when back in Michigan I will be back to 777 pellets ,2 50 grain and a Hornady XTP for my whitetail hunting.I have a bunch of the 777 pellets and they work good for my whitetail hunting.As far as accuracy both powders are equall in my rifles.

6655image.jpg

My CVA Optima V2 really likes 95 grains by volume of blackhorn 209 with a barnes 290 T-EZ and a CCI Magnum primer.

The group is 7/8" at 100 yards.

If you shim the firing pin bushing make sure it is flush with the breech face of the gun. That is the setting CVA recommends. Don't try to adjust for crush on the primer, If anything ever happens you will be on your own, CVA will claim their gun was modified and not to their spec.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom