CWMU for Elk

BigSimps

I'm looking into maybe putting in for a CWMU area for elk. I have hunted one before for moose and it was ok, not really what I expected but I did get one. I have been putting in for Deseret for the last few years, but I think I might want to try a different one this year. What are your thoughts?

my thoughts are you will probably get one but you will have the same similar experience as you did with your moose. So ask yourself would you do your moose hunt again the same way?

excellent note swbuckmaster, Score wise what did you have in mind for an elk? desert is so huge that covering all the ground would be near impossible.

look at how many points you have and then try out the "hunt Draw Odds" and find a CWMU that you have a good chance of drawing. That's what I do. I haven't drawn yet so my idea might not be that good.. LOL I think Deseret has some of the best chances at a quality bull that's worth burning your points on.

It was a big bodied 2 point. (this is my signature)

I have hunted a couple and had pretty good luck. However I just talked to a couple managers for CWMUs. End results after talking I was disipointed.

Rutnbuck

>excellent note swbuckmaster, Score wise what
>did you have in mind
>for an elk? desert is
>so huge that covering all
>the ground would be near
>impossible.

I'm not looking for a super big elk, but I would like one some where in the 320-360, and I have 12 points.

If you check the odds you'll see that with 12 points you have about 1 percent chance of drawing Deseret.

Deseret CWMU elk hunts are fully guided free of charge.
You are put in and treated the same way as the paying clients....it's an opportunity of a lifetime to get a 15K hunt for the cost of your CWMU permit, it's just the odds of drawing that are tough.

+ 1 Slammy I drew the moose tag the first year they ever did it I had two guides on Deseret. That was before there was CWMU back the it was I think PHU Public hunting unit.

Rutnbuck

>>excellent note swbuckmaster, Score wise what
>>did you have in mind
>>for an elk? desert is
>>so huge that covering all
>>the ground would be near
>>impossible.
>
>
>I'm not looking for a super
>big elk, but I would
>like one some where in
>the 320-360, and I have
>12 points.
Most of the bulls on Deseret run 330-350. 360 is far less common. The average bull is above average but they don't have the giants the south gets. You should also keep in mind that the hunt will be guided with no guest unless you're a teenage girl! So if you want somebody else along on the hunt you'd better look elsewhere.

BirdBuster,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but DLL lets you take one guest...
(at least they did on a cow elk hunt)

It was a big bodied 2 point. (this is my signature)

>BirdBuster,
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but
>DLL lets you take one
>guest...
>(at least they did on a
>cow elk hunt)
>
>
>It was a big bodied 2
>point. (this is my signature)
>
Because on the bull hunt you are spending the week in the lodge, being fed, etc they don't allow a guest unless it changed in 2011(I wasn't around last fall). There was a big shake up in the biggame hunts up there starting 2011.

BB is right, if you want a guest, it costs extra.
It's a top notch deal up there.....not cheap to put up extra people for 5 days.

DLL does not allow guests on the cow elk hunts either, unless the person is handicapped or under 18 years old.

If you draw the bull permit for DLL you are looking at a 320-330 bull. You may find one bigger but most the public hunters last year were shooting 300-320 class bulls. If you work your butt off and are willing to hike a ton you could find maybe bust a 330-340 bull. They treat you good and it's would be an awesome hunt. But as previously mentioned, they don't grow them like the Southern bulls.

If it were me, I would be applying for an archery permit on the Pahvant, San Juan, or Monroe.

On DLL a ton depends on the year. Last year the paid hunters had a hard time breaking 340 as well. Just a bad antler year. Some years there are 340+ bulls everywhere and some years you can't find one to save your life. The south with archery is no gimme either. I ate a SJ archery tag a couple years ago without ever knocking an arrow. Trophy elk hunting for the public is still HUNTING and most won't succeed in getting a trophy animal.

A buddy of mine took a 365 bull on deseret in 2009 he drew with 2 or 3 pts and loved every second of it.. there's a lot of advantages to a cmwu hunt but to draw on dll you'll be a ways out unless you get lucky.. Ive hunted a cwmu unit the last 2 years up in chalk creek and have loved it, not a lot of big bulls but still a good time. I def agree with HJB and maybe look at an archery tag chances are better for a bigger bull if that's what your after..g.. that's what I'm doin this year!

I knew I never really had a good chance to get a Deseret tag, gots to have 18 points to get one, but I have been told that if you do get Deseret tag you can bring someone on the hunt, but if they don't have room they my not let you bring someone, and you have to pay more.

I didn't put in for Deseret this time, the elk hunt is going down hill so I need to get my tag and get it over before all the elk good elk are gone. Deseret is 4 or 5 years away, if I have 18 or so points maybe Deseret will be a place to look at again.

Not sure what has gone "downhill" up there. Yes last years average was lower than average but in 2010 it was a banner year for bug bulls. Our first week produced three bulls 370+ and one over 380. My first hunter took a 378" 5?6......hardly a slouch on any unit!
Deseret has never been a "trophy" unit but it offers some of the best if not THE BEST elk hunting in the world.

"DLL does not allow guests on the cow elk hunts either, unless the person is handicapped or under 18 years old".

Hmmm.... you sure about that???

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom