CWMU poaching?

TheOneRidgeRunner

Want you opinions and what the law states.
I've watched a certain CWMU hunt and kill a few elk in a canyon that borders CWMU property. I've always thought it was private or part of the CWMU boundaries. Got the OnX map system and find out the canyon and land they are hunting is not on CWMU unit and is public ground double checked UDWR maps and it is deffinatley out of CWMU unit boundry and is public land which is not land locked.
Are they poaching, what's the next steps. Even they have photos in FB showing background of the area where they haved killed elk off CWMU unit.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-18 AT 12:41PM (MST)[p]Are you sure they are not just regular hunters gaining access threw the CWMU to hunt the public land? Friends of the operator maybe? You did say they posted pics who knows.

Even if is considered poaching the DWR will make up some lame excuse like they did on certain big horn sheep.

If I saw someone poaching an elk I would call authorities immediately and turn them in. CWMU, public, private, I don't care-I'm calling the first second I can.

We as hunters need to do a much better job of policing the hills. It shouldn't even be a question of whether to call or not. We should all call, and do it the first chance we get. The longer we wait, the less chance of getting the ?bad guy.?

>Report it and get a free tag.

That could be awkward if they gave him a free tag for that CWMU :D

Free tag or not I would report it for sure. You know they'd be reporting you if you killed an elk on their property!

Yes that is poaching, and the dwr will take it seriously. They are much harder on guided cwmu hunters stepping off the cwmu than they are on general season hunters stepping on to a cwmu. I've seen it many times.

Next time you see it, video or take pics. Go down and talk to them, ask to see their license, take more pics. Proof is everything.

2a0fcsk.gif

Yep free tag.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I'd like to believe that they were guys with general season elk tags that gained access through the CWMU- But knowing how private landowners are these days with big game, I doubt that.

I'd wager that it was guys with CWMU tags that killed the elk on the public land that their CWMU locks off from the public. Report it, but I agree, because a CWMU is involved, the DWR will look the other way somehow.

:-( :-(

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

DNR will screw you out of the tag. Happened to me with a moose poaching.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

my neighbor received a wasatch elk tag for a very similar situation that was pretty easy for the dwr to figure out. the resemblance to this cwmu story is spot on. turn them in

"...ask to see their license,..."

Pretty sure they'd tell you what to go do with yourself on that one, best leave it up to the guys with the legal clout to ask to see the license along with your pics of geographic proof.

I agree, if illegal turn 'em in. Nothing more irritating than private land guys hunting public as well...

Keep things simple... just tell everybody which CWMU it was right right right now!! Let the public know which guys are stealing their wildlife. As if 90% of the wildlife permits on the private land isn't enough... they sneak off and poach on adjoining lands.
Some of these guys (not all) think that the land close to their land is close enough that they can do what they want with it. They think they're entitled to that wildlife because that deer/elk/moose/antelope ate some plants on their land.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom