CWMU's

If they guide you tip them 10 %. If they guide you and do a great job ,tip them more. If they say the gate is open go have fun, No tip .
Are your talking about a trophy hunt or antlerless hunt? How much do they sell there tags for paying customers ? On some units they go for big bucks.( No pun intend )
I am sure if you gave a little ,they may give a little . If you know what I mean .

If you are a public (non-paying) client then they can't require you to pay for a guide. If they send a guide with you then they are doing it because A-they really care about you and your success or B-they don't trust you and want to babysit you. If you feel the guide is A then I would tip him- maybe. If you feel the guide is there for reason B then I would not tip him. The CWMU should bend over backwards to help the public hunter, as without him there would be no special privileges for CWMUs.

I drew the Alton deer tag. Their website says they charge about $20k for a rifle hunt. I want my guide to feel appreciated, but 10% is still pretty steep for me.

I am not familiar with that hunt or why you "have" a guide there. If you are hiring the guide, then I would say tip him 10% +/- of what he is charging you.

If they are just sending the guy with you, then I would look at how much help he is.

If he is a real helpful guy and you get what you are looking for I would tip between $50-$100 per day. BUT only if he is really there to help me. If he is not any help, and/or deters from my hunt in any way then nothing.

I guess the question is...who is the guide there for ? Too help you hunt or to keep you away from the paying customers bucks that payed 20,000 dollars to shot a 200 inch buck ?

Thanks, my understanding is they provide a guide throughout the hunt. So technically I am not hiring him. I feel obligated to pay though.

Ive drawn a few CWMU tags
I understand them providing a guide to the people that pay for the tags.But for them to provide a guide to the few people that drew the tag seems to me to be very nice of them or very shady of them.
As it was early stated is it to keep you away from the 200" deer or to help you get a 200" deer
If during your hunt they seem to be helpful and considerate I would also feel obligated and willing to give them 10+%
But if the money not there for you then doing what you can should be good enough

Just throw that 10% stuff out the window. You should not feel obligated to tip one penny. You are the public hunter. You did not pay $20,000 for the tag, so why should you tip the guy $2,000? Now if you want to tip then go for it, but public hunters feeling obligated to tip a guide who is not required by the state is simply not a good thing for the CWMU program.

20,000 maybe a list price on the web . I have heard of a few going in 10,000 range.
Huntingguy had a post on here talking about the alton unit. Maybe you can do a search for it. A guy that drew that tag posted up. I think he said they kept him on one side of the ranch until the other guys filled there tags. Then they let him hunt where he wanted to. Maybe if you find the post you can pm that guy and ask question.

Most cwmu operators will give you much more than just the tip!!! Id tip if you felt you were taken care of and was a priority!! Best of luck!

I've drawn tags for what most consider the best two CWMU's in the state. The first was a management tag, $138 bucks, I was given lodging for 2, 3 very good meals a day, and a guide, who busted his butt for me, and went out of his way to get me the best management buck ever taken on that CWMU to date. He was paid by the CWMU out of funds from the paying clients. I had no idea what the paying guys paid, but I tipped my guide more than 100% of the cost of my tag, as well as tipping the cook..
4099larrysbuck18.jpg

The second hunt cost me $45. The CWMU provided a guide. We used my truck, my gas, and I provided him lunch. Not sure if he was there to guide or babysit, but he was pleasant, helpful, showed me lots of bucks, but no monsters. He put me on a good buck, cleaned and skinned it. I Didn't feel I needed to, but did tip him in excess of 200% the cost of my tag. No monsters were killed by paying clients. Tough year.
3105290.jpg

I felt good about both situations and have no regrets.
Yelum

I think common sense and some communication is in order. First, talk to the guide(yeah I rail on guides), let him know that you can't afford a $1000-2000 tip. I know a guy that when we go to dinner he will put the tip out on the table and explain to the server that he keeps it all if his glass is never empty, if he never asks twice, etc., etc. Try it with the guide and let him decide what he earns. I would definately tip the cook.

My brother drew one of the Alton public permits last year. The first couple days we were shown areas to hunt, we went on our own. After some of the paying clients were successful we had the guides out helping us. One of the guides ultimately helped my brother out very well and my brother decided to tip him. How much I don't know, that was between them. No matter what you do, you will have a hunt of a lifetime. So, depending on how things work out for you, you'll need to decide whether you tip or not. If my brother had killed a buck in those first couple days, who knows if or how much he would of tipped.

As a side note, the accomodations and food were excellent.

Smokepole

If it ends up being a great hunt and they do take care of you, then a tip is probably deserved. From the little I know of the CWMU you are hunting, the rumors are they will treat you right. 10% of a 20k tag is a little steep for most hunters, I would assume a few hunderd dollars may be more in line. I suppose if I shot a 220 class buck, I would probably be happy to tip more...just my 0.02

Unless you pay $20k for a tag, you don't need to be tipping the big dollars. He drew a $140 dollar tag, a tip in that range is acceptable.

Yelum

I can see there is not many guide on this post, If there is a guide with you and he is helping you then you should tip. Guides don't make big buck-It's all about the tip.

I agree with yelum. If you have a respectable hard working guide give him a respectable tip as a public hunter. Alton is one well managed classy operation and cwmu that makes up for the many half a$$$ Outfitters/cwmu operators in Utah that are all about the tip and not the wildlife!

The first thing I would do is call the operator and talk to him about your expectations and what is realistic. The DWR site also provides a ton of info on each CWMU in the state. Youcan view success rates and also how other hunters have rated the CWMU experience.

Figure out if a guide is required or not. If a guide is required but you want to do it all yourself, tell him that. I would be open with the guide and let him know that you are a DIY hunter and you appreciate the help, but you want to scout and hunt yourself and he can just tag along.

If you want the help of the guide then by all means tip the man if he goes out of his way to help you out. If he is a loser, give him the 10% of your $35 and call it a day.

You will find that some CWMUs are all about public success and some see it as way to screw over the guy that only paid $35. Like I said before "Call the Operator". You will be able to find out a great deal of knowledge by simply talking to the operator about the public hunts. The moment you say the word "Public", pay attention to the operator and see if his point of view changes at all. I have had some hang up on me before for saying I was planning on drawing the public tag. If they are cool about it and helpful, most likely it will be a good experience.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom