D-19 Trophy Buck

D

DesertCat

Day 1
The opening day hunt started off pretty darn hot. At daylight the temperature was 68 degrees and climbed to 88 by late afternoon. Friends Scott, Jeff, Rick and I hit one of our areas pretty hard and by days end we counted 13 does and 3 bucks with none of the bucks presenting a shot.

Day 2
Tried another spot and the weather had changed for the better. The morning started out at 49 degrees and topped out at 66 degree. We had a littler different crew for day two. Jeff had anniversary plans and commitment made prior to the season. Scott, Rick, my buddy Barry and I hit the hills hard. The weather change really had the deer feeding and moving. This may sound crazy for southern California but on this day we saw nearly sixty deer with five of them being buck.

Now to the deer harvest, I headed to an area that I have been hunting now for a couple of years. Once there, I found another hunter across the canyon and with the wind being all wrong I decided to head face first into it and check out some small fingers and draws that I hunted the pervious year. The first draw produced only four does and I continued to the next. As I topped the ridgeline I spotted eight deer across the canyon with one being the deer that I harvested. I got setup, took the shot and down the big guy went. To my suprise he jumped up and headed for a thicket. A couple more shots and he was anchored. As I sat there for a few moments to collect my thought not 150 yards from me I hear another shot and watch as another buck goes down. Well as you all know that scared the hell out of be because I had no idea that this gentleman was there. Well it turned out that this gentleman was my buddy Rick and I as well scared the hell out of him. (Great minds run in the same path I quess) Anyway with two deer down the work was about to begin. With a call to Scott and Barry, the four of us made short work of the pack out. Ricks deer was a 3x2 and mine was a heavy 3x4 with bladed eye guards. By looking at the teeth on my deer he looked to be about 5 years old. It was a good weekend for D-19 hunters as my circle of friend harvested 6 deer this weekend. With D-19 taken care of it's now its time to focus on the upcoming D-14 season.
P1010052.jpg

P1010042.jpg

Take care
Desert cat

Pretty Cool guys!! Thanks for the story and pic's, now i know what them southern deer look like!! ;-)

Congrats!!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom