D.I.Y. antelope? Where to start?

L

Lowedog

A couple friends and I are thinking of doing an antelope hunt. We live in WA and of course would have to travel. Any opinions on what state to look at? Easiest tags to get? We are not looking for a trophy hunt. We would considered paying a trespass fee to hunt private land if that was the best avenue to pursue.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Lowedog

In a word...Wyoming. PM me if you need some details. Otherwise just go to some of the various chambers of commerce in the NE part of Wyoming and get some landowner lists. Look at draw odds/quality that fits your needs and start making some calls. I have found the antelope hunting to be really fun and the the ranchers are some quality people you will meet along the way.

Research Wyoming - I have hunted the last 2 yrs DIY and it is easier to get a tag than you think - even if you do not draw - leftover tags are usually available for some units and landowner tags can be had with a little research and they are not expensive in most cases. I don't think you need to try for private land & tresspass fees - there are just to many antelope and a lot of public ground available with very good hunting. 5 of us killed 7 lopes in the last 2 yrs that scored in the 70's on an "average" unit. I have had a lot of fun on these hunts and they are not that hard to do if you put some effort and research into it.

Lowedog!
Rump in Gillette here. Might consider, among many things, settin' up to get a doe tag or two to go along with your type 1.
They're cheap for a non-res. and give a person more meat to take home (I dig lope meat). Some areas have public land doe tags, and those that don't always have some ranchers that are givin' 'em up, often for nothin'.
Throwin' a dart at the map is one of my favorite strategies, if that doesn't appeal then I could probably answer a question or two about my neighbourhood if it interests you. We're not exactly trophy territory, but then there are just gobs of goats in these parts. I kinda' prefer hunting backyards anymore....

Thanks for the response guys! PM's sent. I have heard that Wyoming antelope hunting is a great time.

-Lowedog

Lowdog,

These guys are right, Wyoming is the best option going. Montana has some good goats but the odds are worse and the NR% is capped. Region 700 where most of the public land goats are is 1 out of 3 at best. I go to both states almost every year and Wyoming should be your choice if you want to go this year.

Rich

I think Montana has some good options but Wyoming is probably the better choice. Good luck and let us know how you do, I'm going to make that trip one of these years.

Another washington boy looking for same info. Do you guys mind if I pm you as well?
Lowedog what part of the state are you from?

Montana has the 900 tags, over the counter archery.. worth considering, and look into the Block Managment areas.
I have never had a problem finding a place to bowhunt speedgoats in the 700 region, seems everyone wants to hunt deer and nobody wants to speedgoat hunt so you have the place to yourself..

WAMuley, I am in Cashmere.

nochawk, I saw that with the archery tags. Are those tags for sale right now? I am going to give the Montana management bureau chief for the wildlife didvision a call next week to talk antelope hunting. I read an article on the block management areas. Said about 1 in 3 nr draw for the 700 region.

-Lowedog

I'd say it is more 50/50 appling for the 700 region montana, but if you go for the archery 900 tag you can hunt the entire state and they are unlimited..

The 700 unit in montana is good.Deadline to apply is march 15
There are plenty of places to hunt if you draw a tag.The odds are about 33%. I dont know of any places to pay trespass fee.
The 700 region has plenty of blm and other land to hunt.Jordan mt is a good place to stay. The locals in the bars are also good to visit with. any questions drop me a email

The deadline to apply for antelope is June 1st in Montana not March 15th. There are many places around Miles City/Broadus that you can pay a tresspass fee.

Nemont

I am doing my first DIY antelope hunt to Wyoming this fall. I talked to people at the Casper Regional DNR office, as well as people at the BLM office in Cheyenne. All of these people were extrememly helpful, and got us pointed in the right direction.

I'd say WY would give you the best chance of hunting and not too far , but NM offers some great hunts just a bit more driving....

Thanks again for all the help everyone! Looks like we are going to try for WY. Just need to decide on a few units and get it done. Nothing like waiting till the last minute! :)

-Lowedog

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom