D3-5 suggestions?

R

rockclimber

This is my first year hunting in California. I unfortunately missed the big game drawing since my wife was in the hospital for 10 weeks (pregnancy complications). I have applied for a left over tag for D3-5 so i can at least get out hunting......

I'm new to the west in general, having hunted in nevada for one season (prior to that it was pennsylvania), so i'm still learning the muley gig.

I'm looking for some suggestions on where i might find some deer in d3-5. I'm not looking for anyone's hot spot.....just some suggestions on general areas to look. I'll be hunting both archery (provided my tag arrives in time) and the general season.

I'd prefer to hunt somewhat close to tahoe since that is where we live, and we now have a newborn baby (the time in the hospital all paid off in the end).

At the moment i'm thinking of somewhere over near kirkwood? Can anyone recommend any burn areas in the last 2-5 years that are a hike from the road?

I'll only get out for a small handful of days (or half days) so my scouting will be done on the job....any suggestions to save me a little time?

regardless......i'll just be happy to get out given everything we have recently been through.

good luck to everyone, shoot straight
RC

there have been some huge fires around tahoe the last few years. a quick web search should get you a place to start.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

You can go on the CA F&G website and look at the most receint kill data for the zone tag. You will find mostly black tail/mulie mix deer in those zones.

The best area for deer taken over the last 5 yrs in that D-3-5 zone is off Highway 50 below Union Valley Res. Area. Turn on the road that goes to Ice House Res, Union Valley Res. Take this road and hunt the main fire road to the right going in. The turn off is near the road that goes to the Union Valley Res. Dam. Your road will be on the right and the dam road is on the left.

You will want to hunt from the fire road down to the river. The river is near Hwy 50 which runs the bottom of this main canyon. This is steep country and has a lot of hunting pressure. But there are deer there and the stats prove it. Just wear plenty of hunter orange during rifle season and don't park more that one car length off any road or the Rangers will give you a ticket. They have strict fire regs. and off road anything will get you a ticket.

Get a Forest Service Topo Map of the area.
WE don't hunt CA anymore. Out of State archery elk is how we get our rush now so have fun hunt'n. That area is as good as anywhere in the area but you won't be alone....

Good Luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom