Dall Ram / 2007

C

couesfever

I know there has to be a couple of guys getting ready to head north and hunt a Dall so, Here is a Dall ram I was lucky enough to take last August. Passed him up on the first day at 40 yds because of the broken horn. Did'nt see a legal ram tell we found him again on the eight day. Thanks for checking the picture's out. If you have ever wanted to go you need to make it happen. Now I need to try for a stone.

Dallshepphunt2007176.jpg

Dallshepphunt2007149.jpg

Here are a few other picture I took while I was there. A sow and a couple of cubs.
Dallshepphunt2007127.jpg

A wolf that we found. Took the picture through my spotting scope

Dallshepphunt2007106.jpg

Home for 10 days.
Dallshepphunt2007093.jpg

Took these pictures after I got back to base camp. One of the guides had a sheep tag and put a stalk on a couple of rams.

Dallshepphunt2007201.jpg

Dallshepphunt2007207.jpg

Here My ram on the first day after he spooked him and his buddies ran out to 220yds.
Dallshepphunt2007055.jpg

Dallshepphunt2007057.jpg

Here are a few random pictue's.

JasonNWT2007002.jpg

JasonNWT2007008.jpg

JasonNWT2007034.jpg

Also was lucky enough to tag a caribou also.
Dallshepphunt2007082.jpg

Dallshepphunt2007072.jpg

Great photos! Great Ram!
There's nothing wrong with a broomed horn..... it adds character.
Thanks for sharing.

That is a great looking ram, really nice 'bou as well. Who were you hunting with and where? What rifle were you shooting? I really like the tucked in bighorn look of him. I went and got my Dall last year as well and nice 'bou also, Gana River. We had a little closer ordeal with a grizzly after I shot my 'bou. Big Fun !!!!

I have been researching stone hunts as well. Looking at the Yukon as they are a little more reasonable $$. I love the really dark BC rams, but man $35K is really hard to part with. Still I really prefer tha dark rams and would like to go to BC.

If I ever draw a desert tag I will really start working on the stone and hope a rocky tag will follow !!!! Never hurts to dream.

WOW.....YOU DID REALLY WELL...CONGRATS. I DID THE SAME 2 ANIMALS IN 2005 IN THE YUKON........BUT I REALLY WISH I HAD KILLED A WOLF.....AND A BLACK WOLF AT THAT........YD.

Wow!! Thanks for posting the photos. I can honestly say that I would NEVER, EVER pass on a ram like that. When I hunt a Dall again, I would love to find a long horned, broomed on the other ram. To me, these are the best looking rams around. Congrats on the successful hunt. What outfitter do you hunt with?

Couesfever,

Congrats on a beautiful ram and caribou! Thanks for sharing all the great photos. Awesome country and diversity of wildlife. A trip you will remember forever. I have only hunted for big game in the west, but have always thought about making a trip such as yours. After seeing your photos, I am thinking about it even more. Maybe I will finally get the courage to book something in the next few years.

Horniac

Congrats and thanks for sharing. Hope to do it myself someday and wonder what was a ballpark cost from door to door without the mounting.

Thanks for all the comments. You can always count on you die-hard sheep guys.

jcford:

I hunted with Stan Simpson of Ram Head Outfitters. I shoot a custom 300RUM. I was lucky enough to take a desert sheep in my home state of Az in 2001. So I'm really looking at getting a stone done in the next couple of years. I'm like you I really want a dark stone. I'm probaly only going to be able to make one trip because of cost so I'm looking to go with someone who has a high success rate as well as dark rams. If there is such a outfitter. Also there not getting any cheaper.

dwalton:

I probaly should'nt have passed him even on the first day. He had the exact look I was looking for. Before I left to go up to hunt I wanted a tight heavy ram. I guess my next one can be a wide flaring 40 incher.

boomhand:

With travel,charter fees,hunt, tips,trophy fee for caribou. $ 16,000.00. Its a good thing my wife doesnt read this board. Even some of these Dall sheep prices are getting out of hand.

CF:

Congrats on a awesome ram !

That had to be a trip of a lifetime. I ended up capping off on my ram on the opener in 07. It ended up being a good decision because I don't think I would have seen a better ram later on, but you never know.

You got some great pictures. You can never shoot too many. I packed my camcorder to our high camp, only to have the thing crap out me. Oh well, I got some nice shots, and kept a journal of the hunt.

I live in Washington. I have max points for bighorn, but they only give out about 35 tags. Once you get the sheep fever bug, you are pretty much ruined!

Thanks for sharing the memories!

Bryan

Cousefever, I sent you a PM about Stone Sheep Outfitters and who your looking at, so as not to highjack this thread.

dwalton, you could go on another Dall hunt now and be very picky now that you have your slam, just think how much fun it would be picking thru them looking for a giant. It was amazing the number of rams we saw at Gana River. I just wanted a legal ram to get started with, but I can see going back and being picky and really enjoying the experiance. I have also considered putting in for the draw in some of the premier areas in Alaska and seeing if I get lucky, and if I draw going after one of the giants those areas hold. It is cheaper then NWT as well. Are you going to start over or are you going to go chase some other creatures?

Haven't thought about starting over. I would like to go on another dall hunt, though. Sure wish I had enough $$$ to take care of my sheep fever.

Hey coues;

Awesome buddy! I'm one of those guys heading north in August to AK with a TOK tag. Then to 3A/3C in Sept. I really appreciate the pics & can't wait. I'll get even less done at the office today. I'm also curious as to what some of you are finding along the line of the Stones........if you would.

Thanks again coues,

nocal

Hey FALCON;

Thanks for the direction to cozmo. He and I had a great chat about Matt and what I should expect. It's greatly appreciated! Hopefully some day I can return the favor.

Take care,

nocal again

Great ram! I too love the broomed look.
It brings back memories with my 01 hunt with Gana River as I took my ram on the 7th day and bou on the 8th.
I'm back up to the Yukon this Sept for moose and sheep as I took a great, older dark fannin(less expensive stone) with Blackstone in 05.
Man, this fever can get expensive!
Bryan, give me a shout if you get that Washington tag as I might be able to help.
Bryan

nocal,

Good luck on the TOK, Wish I was going with. Do you have a archery tag or a early rifle tag in 3A/3C. My boy has the rifle tag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom